PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1642. 1.5 or 2 HP?

Jack Norfleet
01-01-2007, 2:58 PM
I just received a kitchen pass to order my first full size lathe. I have been using a Delta Midi with an extension to do some long spindles and my wife saw me struggling with it vibrating and bouncing around.

I have pretty much decided on the Jet 1642 but I am having difficulty choosing between the 1.5 hp 110V or the 2 hp 220v. I want the 2 hp since I have an unused 220V outlet and I have been having issues with my 110V tools (DW 735 and Performax 22/44) tripping the breakers on initial startup. However, with Amazon's price ($1699) and Jet's $200 rebate on the 1.5hp model, the difference is about $350.

Is there any practical difference between the two? Any advice would be appreciated.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-01-2007, 3:35 PM
Jack, if you have the $350 go for it, you will be glad you did. I have the 1442 VSK that has the 1 horsey and there were times I would sure like to have had more. The 2 HP will put you more on the level of the Powermatic 3520.:) Just don't tell the Mustard guys that. They tend to go a little nuts.:eek:

Jim Becker
01-01-2007, 4:39 PM
You want the 2hp 240v version if there is any way you can swing it...if you ever start to do very large things or want to get involved in coring expensive stock, the extra power is absolutely necessary.

Dennis Peacock
01-01-2007, 5:17 PM
I agree. I'd recommend the 2HP 240V version as well. You will be happier with the greater horsepower. Congrats!!!!

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2007, 5:52 PM
Jack - congrats on being able to get a new lathe!

I have the 1642-2EVS (since Nov 06) and like you was debating the price difference between the 240 and 120 model - and the rebate on the 120 version didn't help any.

I also asked everyone here which was the better lathe and they all suggested the 240v 2 hp model. The one thing that actually helped me to choose the 2 hp was that I didn't want to be underpowered (and kicking myself) when I decided to turn large ruff items or wanted to try hollowing out a large vase or wanted to get a coring system, etc. I wanted this new lathe to be my 'last' lathe and 2 hp was the only option for me.

If you have any questions about the lathe - please ask.

Jack Norfleet
01-01-2007, 6:33 PM
Everyone thanks. It looks unanimous with the "More Power" crowd winning. I will probably order it tonight. At least Amazon is offering free shipping on all of its tools so the out the door price will be $1850 delivered.

Osolnik charges shipping on Jet Lathes and Southern Tools charges extra to ship to a residential address.

If any of you know any better deals, please let me know.

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Jack - I got my best deal going with the Tool Nut. They beat the price (by $20) and I also received free shipping. Worth checking out.

www.toolnut.com (http://www.toolnut.com)

Jack Norfleet
01-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the link. I requested a quote from ToolNut.

How was their service? Did it ship quickly?

Jack

Steve Schlumpf
01-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Jack, I requested a quote from them thru email and it took them about a week to get back to me. Believe they were fairly busy - anyway, give them a call on their 1-800 and you will get the quote at that time instead of having to wait.

They are a distributor for Jet - and others - and place their order with the WMH corp, who in turn gives you a call with shipping info in 3 or 4 days. Mine came right to my house and the truck even had a lift - at no extra charge!

Jack Norfleet
01-02-2007, 12:32 AM
Steve,

Thanks, I will call them tomorrow.

Jack

Steve Schlumpf
01-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Jack, I talked to a guy name of Pete - but anyone would be able to help you out. Best of luck and you will absolutely love the lathe!!!

Let us know tomorrow what you find out.

Brad Kimbrell
01-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Guys,

How does this lathe compare to the PM? Money is always an object, but $500 one way or another isn't. I seem to remember the PM being about an extra $1K.

Is it worth the extra $$$?

Steve Schlumpf
01-02-2007, 2:47 PM
Brad - best price I ever found on a 3520B was right at $1000 more. I would have loved the 3520B but that price put it just a little out of reach. Figured I would not have a use for a 20 inch swing so went with the 1642. Course the same week I got the new lathe I could have used the 20" swing!! Always something! The size of the powermatic was also an issue for me as my shop is in the basement and it was up to me to haul it down and set it up. I am happy with the Jet and don't think you could go wrong with either lathe.

Jack Norfleet
01-02-2007, 9:32 PM
The best I have seen for the 3520B is $2699 from http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/. The shipping is free but they charge $85 for liftgate service.

I debated hard between the 3520 and the 1642 and price and length between centers were the deciding factors. I really wanted the Powermatic but I needed the longer distance between centers more than the wider swing. I was pushing my budget as it was going to the 2 HP version of the 1642 so I could not justify another $800 for the Powermatic.

I just placed my order for the 1642-2 from Amazon. ToolNut could beat the price but could not offer free shipping so they ended up being about $120 higher than Amazon.

Steve Schlumpf
01-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Jack - glad you got a good deal AND free shipping! I am surprised with the Tool Nut - but I guess all things change. Was worth checking out and now you know you got the best deal out there. Congrats - looking forward to seeing pics of the new lathe!