PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep the Mortiser

Tim Malyszko
01-01-2007, 2:46 PM
I recently purchased the Delta 14-651 mortiser from Amazon.com ($249 - $50 Mail-In Rebate + Free Shipping) and am debating whether or not to send it back. When it arrived, the cast iron top was chipped on the underside, which if not filed down, would gouge my workbench surface. I filed it down and that took care of that issue.

Now, I'm still debating whether or not I really need it. I purchased it primarly for the deck furniture I will be building. With it being slightly damaged, Amazon offered to return it at their cost and refund me the purchase price.

What are your thoughts? Should I keep it or return it? The damaged part is really a non-issue now. I'm just not sure if it's worth the $200 now that I have it in front of me.

Thanks in advance.

David Wilson
01-01-2007, 3:00 PM
I've had mine for several years and while it doesn't get used every day it really comes in handy when I need it.

Frank Hagan
01-01-2007, 3:00 PM
I would keep it, but as my wife says, I never met a tool I didn't like.

I bought a grinder for a project, thinking I'd never use it again in a million years. I end up using it about once a month, far more than I thought I ever would. Now I think I should have bought a better one!

Having the mortiser may change the way you approach projects; we all tend to change things to fit our tools and capabilities.

So unless you have something else more valuable to use that $200 on, I would keep it.

Mike Goetzke
01-01-2007, 3:05 PM
I bought that mortiser a few months back. I haven't had a project yet requiring it's use. I'm wondering the advantages of this tool - since buying it I see D. Marks using a plunge router to cut his mortises. Seems to go a lot quicker than a mortising machine. Am I missing something here???

Al Bois
01-01-2007, 4:13 PM
I have the same mortiser and use it occassionally as a hobbyist. I bought it a few years ago to help build my son's bed. I will be using it again very soon to build a bed for my daughter. I think I'll always have a project here or there where I can use the mortiser.

To save room, I built a rolling chassis (it's ugly, but level and stable) which will accept a pre-cut 3/4" slab of mdf/plywood on top and lock it in place. I cut 3 identical pieces of plywood and mounted the Delta mortiser to one, an osc. spindle sander to another, and a removeable router table (Craftsman.. which is very poorly built) to the third. The mortiser generally stays on it. The router stand and spindle sander are hidden under my chop-saw table.

If it were me, for that price, I would keep it.

Wayne Gauthier
01-02-2007, 6:56 AM
If you are considering sending it back, notify me first. Been looking for a good deal on one.

Mike Cutler
01-02-2007, 7:10 AM
If the $$$ isn't an issue, Keep it.

It's a nice mortiser, somewhat light duty, that will do quite a bit.
It's not used everyday, but when you need it it's nice to have.
The only reason I would get rid of mine would be to buy a floor standing unit.

MIke Goetzke.
The plunge router is very convenient,no doubts. Sometimes though the mortiser is faster. Add an XY vise to your 14-651 and you can move right along with it.
It's a tradeoff. The amount of time saved with the router, versus the time required to make loose tenon stock, or modify the tenon to match the round mortise.
It's always good to have a variety of options available to perform any given task in woodworking.

jud dinsmore
01-02-2007, 5:13 PM
send it back. i just purchased the same one about three weeks ago. i thought it would be quicker than setting up a router. after i spend an hour honing the chisels and bits, the cuts i got were rougher than i imagined. everything works great i just expected smoother mortises. i initially had difficulty setting up the chisel to cut square to the work. more delays. if anyone wants mine... send me a pm.

good luck,

jud

glenn bradley
01-02-2007, 6:04 PM
I have a $200 biscuit joiner that I only use now and again. When I use it, it works perfectly. I'm saving for a jointer upgrade and considered letting it go to fatten my piggy bank for the jointer. In the end I kept it and there have been 3 times in 3 months that I loved having it.

I guess it boils down to 'will you miss it when you need it and will you need it often enough to spend $200?' But, you knew that. Not much help but I understand the conflict.

Scott Vigder
01-02-2007, 7:16 PM
I have the General equivalent mortiser. I can go months without using it, but then I'll use it for two or three weeks in a row.

For Mission Style furniture (my fave) it is indespensible. My last mission desk had 51 spindles, so that was 102 mortises. Took less than two hours start to finish.

Yes it is a highly specialized tool, but at the price you paid you'll wish you could have more "part-time" tools.

Benjimin Young
01-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Frank, you need to put that saying on a t-shirt. :)

Ben Abate
01-03-2007, 6:30 AM
Hello all,
I know this is not the classified area but, I wanted to mention since you fellows are talking about mortisers that I have a Delta mortiser that I want to sell. I is like new and has been used only a few times. I am asking $150.00 or so for it. I also have a set of Fisch chisels that I would like to sell, they are one of the best mortise chisels youi can find. I used the 1/4 in. one once or twice. I would like to get $80.00 for them. They sell for $150.00 any where you can find them. I live in the Pittsburgh Pa. area. The reason I am selling is that I have a floor model mortiser also.

Thank you
Ben

Nick Clayton
01-03-2007, 6:53 AM
Tim,
I would keep it. I have the same mortiser that gets used occasionally and it does come in very handy though I wish I had a larger floor unit. Remember you'll always be able to sell it when the time comes to move up. You certainly got a good deal so spend a little money on a few good bits and conical sharpener and hone them well. I found the ones that came with the machine left unclean mortises though they did work ok when honed. Check out lee valley http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=53252&cat=1,180,42240,53317&ap=1

Cheers,
Nick

George Sanders
01-03-2007, 8:07 AM
I have a cheap one from Harbor Freight. It's not a top of the line machine but it will do the job. I just used it for my grandson's rocking horse. I could have used my PC plunge router but then I would have had some chisel work which I was trying to avoid. I don't use it every day but when I do need it; it is a real timesaver.

Rod Sheridan
01-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi, Like Scott, I have the General International mortiser, and mostly make Arts and Crafts (Mission) furniture using white oak.

The mortiser is invaluable for this sort of work, easy to set up, accurate, and most importantly quieter and cleaner than a router.

I've replaced the original hollow chisels and bits with the one's from Lee Valley, they are superior to the original chisel/bit combination.

regards, Rod.

Tim Malyszko
01-11-2007, 9:29 AM
Just wanted to give an update...

I kept the Mortiser and contacted Delta about the base. They are sending me out a new Cast Iron Base at their cost to replace the broken one and I should receive it in 7 to 10 business days.

Thanks for convincing me to keep it. I know that down the line when I do need it and if I returned it, I'd be cussing myself for doing so. Even if it only gets used occassionally, having an extra tool is never a bad thing.

Richard Keller
01-11-2007, 9:26 PM
I bought that mortiser a few months back. I haven't had a project yet requiring it's use. I'm wondering the advantages of this tool - since buying it I see D. Marks using a plunge router to cut his mortises. Seems to go a lot quicker than a mortising machine. Am I missing something here???

Not really. Just about every task in woodworking can be done in at least two different ways, if not 5 or 10. AND <<< Note here >>> it's not that any one way is right or wrong. (Some people may try to tell you that only their way is right) It's really just a matter of:
1. What tools do I have?
2. What do I know how to do?
3. What do I FEEL like doing today? (This is the big variable for me :) )

I would keep the mortiser, because I have found it easier to cut square holes for square tennons. Also, I don't think a router is any faster, and may not be easy on narrow boards, usually some special jigging and clamping required. BUT as I said --- don't let me tell you what to do. If all I had was a router, and I wasn't in a mood to spend 200 bucks, you can bet I'd mortise with a router.

I have a Wadkin which I picked up used and restored. It has movable XY table, takes upto 1" chisels, AND <<< looks really pretty >>> Not quite done on the restore. I have 1 part left to paint, and I want to chrome plate the hand wheels and the handle. But I wanted to mortise a project, so the restore got set aside for now.

http://www.execulink.com/~boxcar/SSPX0071.jpg