PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0513X base measurements needed

Alex Berkovsky
01-01-2007, 2:15 PM
I know we have quite a few G0513X owners out there. Can someone please get me the exact base measurements. I am getting a delivery tomorrow and want to get the mobile base ready for it. BTW, has anyone used this universal mobile base (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5114) for their G0513X?

Eric Mims
01-01-2007, 3:00 PM
I measure 17.75"x27"

Rob Diz
01-01-2007, 10:33 PM
I have the same saw on order and am struggling to figure out which mobile base to use. From what I have read here and on other forums, you may need to raise the saw up another 3/4 of an inch so the doors will clear the corner housings.

I was also wondering if you considered the Jet mobile base. That mobile base has a high weight capacity, is in the same price range, and can be put together in about 10 min as opposed to the 30-60 to build up another (not including the lumber costs).

My BS is not supposed to be shipped until Feb, so I will be interested to hear what you have to say about getting it on a mobile base.

Don Bullock
01-01-2007, 11:49 PM
I just put a Jet JMB-UMB Universal Mobile Base under my new Craftsman 14" BS. It is fantastic. I highly recommend it. The base is rated to 600 pounds. I was amazed at how easy it went together. Other bases, according to reviews I've read, are very difficult to assemble and have a lot of loose nuts and bolts. With this base everything is already attached. It's just a matter of pulling out spring loaded pins and sliding in the rails. The base is very stable under my BS.

On my band saw I also have a side door issue. To solve that problem and add extra strength (not that it's needed), I placed two 3/4" plywood pieces cut to fit the stand opening to go under my saw base. I then drilled holes through the wood and the base. The saw is now bolted to the base and plywood. BTW -- Since I was installing this stand under a BS, I decided to place the swiveling wheels to the sides rather than in the rear as shown in the first picture. I thought it would add better stability to my tall, narrow saw. I discovered that this placement works well and it provides easier access to the wheel locks as well.

I got the base at my local WoodCraft store for $99. They don't show it online, but they might be able to sell you one if you called.

JayStPeter
01-02-2007, 8:27 AM
I think the G0513 and G0513X are externally the same. I have the "Super Heavy Duty" Shop Fox under my G0513 and find it to be excellent for the purpose as it is very stable. The bandsaw is very top heavy, so a stable and solid base is key. There are settings on that particular SF base that match the BS base very closely. You do have to put a piece of ply under the saw so the bottom door doesn't catch on the bolts of the base. Since the fit is so tight in the base, the fit of the ply (or MDF in my case) must be tight also.

Alex Berkovsky
01-02-2007, 8:28 AM
...From what I have read here and on other forums, you may need to raise the saw up another 3/4 of an inch so the doors will clear the corner housings.
Rob,
Thanks for the tip... if this is the case, I may have to rethink my strategy.

I was also wondering if you considered the Jet mobile base. I already have the mobile base linked to above and don't want to spend more $ on a Jet.