PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat!!

Stephen Hibbs
01-01-2007, 1:08 PM
We had some windy weather here a few days ago, and on a walk through UCSD with my family I spotted a big branch of my favorite wood, ironbark eucalyputs, downed. Well, we don't have a chainsaw, and there was nowhere to plug in the reciprocating saw, AND the hand saw is missing. So, I got the little pull saw out and went to work cutting off a piece for me. After and hour and a half of beavering away with that stupid saw, my stepdad joined me so we could hoist it over a bench and snap the last bonds. It was only then that I realized that a 6 foot long, 9"diameter, wet piece of hardwood was pretty heavy. We got it in the car, with half of it hanging out the trunk and took it home, and now it lives by our olive root (also in picture). I'm now going to try extra hard to convince my mom we need a chainsaw (the one I used to use moved away with my neighbor), and that I won't lose too many limbs using it. This should provide enough bowl blanks to restock my "pile" of 1 pine blank.

Jim Ketron
01-01-2007, 1:43 PM
Nice Gloat!
should make some beautiful turnings!

Paul Engle
01-01-2007, 1:57 PM
Ah UCSD,,, next time you can get to Torri Pines check ( specially feb to mar when the storms really start in ) with the ranger before going,also fire wood permits are cheap and when the wind blows .... thar she goes.When I flew there , I seem to remember stuff all over the place ...least i kept hitting stuff :eek: :D. all over the place . Nice gloat tho ... keep at it Stephen :D

Stephen Hibbs
01-01-2007, 3:12 PM
Ah UCSD,,, next time you can get to Torri Pines check ( specially feb to mar when the storms really start in ) with the ranger before going,also fire wood permits are cheap and when the wind blows .... thar she goes.When I flew there , I seem to remember stuff all over the place ...least i kept hitting stuff :eek: :D. all over the place . Nice gloat tho ... keep at it Stephen :D

hmm, I go to Torrey Pines a lot actually, but I only started looking for wood last April or so, and all the wood by then was dreid up. I'll have to look into that. It gets windy up there, being on a cliff by the ocean and all.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-01-2007, 3:15 PM
Way to go Stephen!! Great Gloat and determination. A true Logaholic!!:eek: