PDA

View Full Version : Shop Wall Advice

Marc Prudhomme
01-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi guys,
I have another question for all you wise gentleman out there.Here goes.
As you all know I am in the process of getting together my first woodworking work shop.My house was built in the early 1980's and the basement was finished(so called).Well everything was falling apart.The dpop ceiling was spent and all the cheap paneling that they put over the drywall was warped to ##XXoo## from the humid conditions in the Summer and the use of a wood stove in the winter.Well I ripped out the drop ceiling and pulled off the paneling
Heres my question.I have a U-shaped section 8ft x 24ft x 8ft that I will be using for my work area and I was thinking about putting OSB or some sort of plywood about 1/2 thick over the drywall to have more mounting options.Any thoughts on this Idea?
Marc

Jim Becker
01-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Many folks do what you propose for shop walls. The 1/2" nominal material will provide reasonable support for things you might want to hang, although I suggest you consider a french cleat system, such as the one illustrated in WOOD Magazine's Idea Shop #5 for both flexibility and strength. (I'd be using it now if I actually had walls with enough space to make it worthwhile...but I don't)

Marc Prudhomme
01-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Many folks do what you propose for shop walls. The 1/2" nominal material will provide reasonable support for things you might want to hang, although I suggest you consider a french cleat system, such as the one illustrated in WOOD Magazine's Idea Shop #5 for both flexibility and strength. (I'd be using it now if I actually had walls with enough space to make it worthwhile...but I don't)
Thats a good idea.I could put that right over the plywood also,right?

Jim Becker
01-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Yes...the cleat system would go over the plywood and the cleats get screwed through into the studs for maximum strength. You can hang a LOT of weight on them. The advantage of the plywood or OSB is that you have additional places to put in screws and hooks for smaller items...something you really can't do effectively with drywall. The other advantage to the cleat system is that once it's up, you can reconfigure your shop quite easily and quickly from time to time as your needs and or machine positioning changes.

walter stellwagen
01-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Have you considered "garage wall" or"slot wall" There are a large number of fixtures for either and unlike pegboard they don't fall off

Walt

Marc Prudhomme
01-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Have you considered "garage wall" or"slot wall" There are a large number of fixtures for either and unlike pegboard they don't fall off

Walt
Any links or info on that one?

John Bush
01-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Happy New Year!!

Hi Mark,
I used 4'x8' sheets of slot wall for my entire shop and think it's a great way to go . Advantages for me were new construction, I just screwed the sheets to the studs, eliminating drywall, and I knew someone in the "biz" and got the sheets for $9 per . I used the unfinished MDF material, which was the least $$$, but now I have seen the extruded PVC on various garage make-over shows and this may be more readily available. Used hanging hardware is available at display suppliers as well. Good luck JCB.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2007, 1:00 PM
Marc.........I don't know what it's called......it looks like plywood with slots cut into it. I have a frend who owns a music store. He covered a wall with it and using special hangers that fit into the slots...he hangs expensive guitars by the tens from it.

I like the plywood walls and french cleat system. I put 1/2" plywood on my shop walls and the cabinets will be hung by french cleats.

Marc Prudhomme
01-01-2007, 2:18 PM
Happy New Year!!

Hi Mark,
I used 4'x8' sheets of slot wall for my entire shop and think it's a great way to go . Advantages for me were new construction, I just screwed the sheets to the studs, eliminating drywall, and I knew someone in the "biz" and got the sheets for $9 per . I used the unfinished MDF material, which was the least $$$, but now I have seen the extruded PVC on various garage make-over shows and this may be more readily available. Used hanging hardware is available at display suppliers as well. Good luck JCB.\
John,
Do you have any links for that material?

Dan Forman
01-01-2007, 4:35 PM
Marc,

When in doubt, Google! It even corrects spelling. Turns out the correct spelling is slatwall.

http://www.google.com/pagead/iclk?sa=l&ai=B8ITB_XuZRbe7CJjigAPny7H3AquPphr_meWbAqOWy5oOkI tACAAQARgBILlUKAJQt7zNmAJgyY7HjfSkyBuYAedzoAHdnMH_ A6oBBWVuLXVzyAEBgAIB&adurl=http://www.triodisplay.com/catalog/slatwall-panels-accessories-c-768.html%3FosCsid%3D2b8a8ad5d2b27d2455c2df124e4cb3 3e

http://www.displays2go.com/sub3.asp?ID=922

Dan

Michael McCoy
01-01-2007, 4:41 PM
That is some pricey material.

Tom Pritchard
01-01-2007, 4:47 PM
Marc, when I built my shop I used 1/4" luan subflooring on the walls. I found some at a local home inprovement store that was clear of knots and had a beautiful color to it, it was pretty cheap, and with a couple coats of satin varnish, the finish looks beautiful.

I only wish I would have made the shop walls out of something soft so it wouldn't hurt so much when I bang my head against them!!!!!:D :D :D :D

Marc Prudhomme
01-01-2007, 5:25 PM
Marc, when I built my shop I used 1/4" luan subflooring on the walls. I found some at a local home inprovement store that was clear of knots and had a beautiful color to it, it was pretty cheap, and with a couple coats of satin varnish, the finish looks beautiful.

I only wish I would have made the shop walls out of something soft so it wouldn't hurt so much when I bang my head against them!!!!!:D :D :D :D1/4 seems to thin.What do you think?

David G Baker
01-01-2007, 5:28 PM
Hi guys,
I have another question for all you wise gentleman out there.Here goes.
As you all know I am in the process of getting together my first woodworking work shop.My house was built in the early 1980's and the basement was finished(so called).Well everything was falling apart.The dpop ceiling was spent and all the cheap paneling that they put over the drywall was warped to ##XXoo## from the humid conditions in the Summer and the use of a wood stove in the winter.Well I ripped out the drop ceiling and pulled off the paneling
Heres my question.I have a U-shaped section 8ft x 24ft x 8ft that I will be using for my work area and I was thinking about putting OSB or some sort of plywood about 1/2 thick over the drywall to have more mounting options.Any thoughts on this Idea?
Marc
Marc,
Before you put up a new wall make sure that the basement exterior walls are sealed against moisture or you may have the same problem that you started with. You may also want to consider a dehumidifier if your basement is damp. Prevents rust and moisture damage. If you heat the basement, the warm air on the cold exterior walls will create a condensation problem.
7/16" OSB should work well and it may be the cheapest covering you can find. I also recommend putting at least 3/4" foam board insulation against the exterior wall.
The OSB looks okay if you prime it and paint it with a high gloss white paint.
I have a similar problem and will be remodeling my basement in the future. Don't need it for a shop but it is handy to do some inside work in the Winter.
David B

Marc Prudhomme
01-01-2007, 5:38 PM
Marc,
Before you put up a new wall make sure that the basement exterior walls are sealed against moisture or you may have the same problem that you started with. You may also want to consider a dehumidifier if your basement is damp. Prevents rust and moisture damage. If you heat the basement, the warm air on the cold exterior walls will create a condensation problem.
7/16" OSB should work well and it may be the cheapest covering you can find. I also recommend putting at least 3/4" foam board insulation against the exterior wall.
The OSB looks okay if you prime it and paint it with a high gloss white paint.
I have a similar problem and will be remodeling my basement in the future. Don't need it for a shop but it is handy to do some inside work in the Winter.
David BThere is fiberglass insulation and drywall covering the exterior wall.most of the dampness is in the summer time.I will probably put a de-humidifier in the spring.I think I will put that 7/16 OSB right over the drywall.