PDA

View Full Version : From 5:30 - 5:45 PST I was laying there in bed

Bart Leetch
11-15-2003, 11:42 AM
Posted By: Bart Leetch in Washington state <Vibart2@HotPoP.com>
Date: Saturday, 15 November 2003, at 11:26 a.m.

thinking about the bench I am making for my shop, then at 5:55 I was dressed & out in my shop with water in the microwave heating for some tea & un-clamping the ends which are 3" square legs with grooves centered on one side & 3/4" plywood glued in between the front & back legs & mortise & tenon & stretcher from left to right front & back. Next I went onto cutting & drilling & threading the barrels for the barrel bolt assemblies. I sure like early mornings in the shop.
The bench I am making is similar to the bench in ShopNotes issue 65 but no curves & no Oak just Poplar frame, plywood & a masonite skinned top. Actual money outlay for this 36" x 60" bench will be about $30. I was given the Poplar & 2 partial sheets of 1" plywood the I trimmed & splined together & will make a sandwich with the 1" plywood on the bottom & a 3/4" high density chip board next with the 1/4" Masonite on top banded with Poplar.

This bench won't be pretty but will be quite serviceable as a bench & out-feed table for my Contractors table-saw.

Now the drawer case to go underneath the bench will cost me a little more, but over all I'll still not spend a fortune on this project.

Now the cost of the furniture that I'll use this bench to build thats a different story.

Jim Becker
11-15-2003, 12:10 PM
At 5:30 PT...(9:30 ET), I was just getting out of bed to make some latté...watching Norm was more important than freezing my butt off outside! One of these days I have to learn to get up earlier... :rolleyes:

The bench sounds great. Be sure to post some pics!

David Klug
11-15-2003, 1:25 PM
At 5:30 PT...(9:30 ET), I was just getting out of bed to make some latté...watching Norm was more important than freezing my butt off outside! One of these days I have to learn to get up earlier... :rolleyes:

The bench sounds great. Be sure to post some pics!

I hate to tell you this JB, but 5:30pt means its 8:30et unless your out in the Alantic some place

Jim Becker
11-15-2003, 3:06 PM
I hate to tell you this JB, but 5:30pt means its 8:30et unless your out in the Alantic some place

Quite obviously, one latté wasn't enough... :rolleyes:

Waking up next weekend at home should be a real trip as I'm going to be in the PT time zone for the next week!

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-15-2003, 3:11 PM
Tea? Latte? Doesn't anybody drink coffe anymore? Plain ol' coffee? :D

Terry Hatfield
11-15-2003, 3:36 PM

I'm with you KC....plain coffee for me and lots of it.

Bart and Jim, Do you guy's have shops or studios????? :D :D :D :D

Sorry, had to ask. :D :D :D :D

Terry

Forgot to say.....can't wait to see the bench, Bart. Post some pics.

Glenn Clabo
11-15-2003, 4:49 PM

I just had to shift over to decaf...:mad:...when I have to stop drinking real beer...put me in the ground!

Ted Shrader
11-15-2003, 5:25 PM
Black and bitter. No blonde, no sweet....

Ted

Jeff Ward
11-15-2003, 6:45 PM
Black and bitter. No blonde, no sweet....

Ted

Them I guess Amaretto tea is not the prefered drink?

Dan McLaughlin
11-15-2003, 7:33 PM
Bart- pictures, pictures and more pictures

I'm an early riser (4:30 -5:00) - no particular reason, it's just when the internal alarm goes off. It's too early to make noise but not too early to read SMC with my first cup of coffee. Take the dog for a walk with my second cup of coffee. On weekends and those weekdays when I don't have any clients to visits in the morning, I'm in the shop by 7:00 or so with my third cup of coffee. Great time for finishing projects (painting, staining etc), quietly cleaning up from yesterday's project or planning for the next. Today, I managed to clean a bunch of full size bake sheets that my wife bought on E-Bay and cleaned up after the high winds that annoyed the %^&* us for the past two days.

I'll try to take some pictures of the 6' by 6' outfeed/assembly/work bench I finished a couple of months ago. It's not pretty but it doesn't move, gives me plenty of room and was a blast to build.

David Rose
11-15-2003, 8:00 PM
You betcha! I let the coffee drip while my "billy boils". Well, actually, no. Just the coffee.

David

Bart Leetch
11-15-2003, 8:09 PM
Bart and Jim, Do you guy's have shops or studios?????

Terry

I'll bet you wear surgical scrubs to play in your surgical ward. :D :D :D

Terry Hatfield
11-15-2003, 8:23 PM

Terry

I'll bet you wear surgical scrubs to play in your surgical ward. :D :D :D

Nah....just wipe your feet before you come in the shop. :D

t

Jim Becker
11-15-2003, 8:52 PM

Right now, it's definitely a "shop" with plenty of sawdust on the floor, tools and shelves. If I ever get the upstairs finished, I suppose that portion not consisting of my office and a bathroom could morph into a "studio"... :rolleyes:

Jason Roehl
11-15-2003, 10:56 PM
Polluting your coffee should be against the law. I drink mine black. And I don't mean black like your grandma drank it, I mean black like the Turkish drink it. So strong you wouldn't dare stick a metal spoon in it to stir anything into it--the spoon would dissolve.

Oh, yeah, I kinda like/make my beer that way, too. :D

(Just got done bottling another batch...)

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-15-2003, 11:54 PM
Me too Jason..............Mrs. Folgers is my buddy! :D Drink 'er black, but not as strong as you do...................I really see no point in having to chase my Coffee with thinner to get it to go down! :p I don't do the "Unleaded" variety either................I like the "hard stuff" myself! ;)

Dennis McDonaugh
11-15-2003, 11:57 PM
I like it black and strong in the morning and add a touch of sweetner at night. Usually Bushmills black.