PDA

View Full Version : DW 735 questions

Gregg Feldstone
01-01-2007, 4:15 AM
Two ?'s on my 735 planer:
1. For the first time today, a board was not passed all the way through and I had to "help" it toward the end by pulling it. It is possible that this boards thikness varried enough that a low area was not caught by the rollers during this 1/32" pass. Is it also possible that this could be the first sign that my rollers will soon have the same problem so many other 735's have been plagued with?
2. I waxed the bed on my new planer and noted it to be completly flat and smooth with no scratches. After planing a couple boards yesterday I discovered a few scratches on the bed. There were no nails or even knots in these boards. They had been jointed but were not coplaner and had sharp edges from the jointing. They are pine. What could have scratched the bed? Soft pine with jointed edges? Could the aluminum bed on this jointer scratch so easily?

David Kauffman
01-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Greg my 12 year old 15 inch 4 poster started doing that about a year ago. Havn't pulled it apart, but after talking with several tool tech departments, am pretty sure I need new infeed roller. They said it was probably a tooth or two worn, to where it would work most of the time, but once in a while under a real load, would stop at that tooth, and had to be coaxed till it caught the next one and continued on. Not a really big hassle actually, since it only does it occasionally under a big load. In the planers defense, it is 12 years old, and I got my $1000 out of it years ago.

I've been itching for a Shelix spiral cutterhead planer for a while now, and decided to go get one tomorrow. Then have to decide what to do with my old one.

Jim Becker
01-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Gregg, there have been several threads on this topic and machine in the last few days. Please use the Advanced Search with the keyword as "735" and select the General Woodworking Forum as the target.

Cleaning the rollers should be your first step, but depending on the serial number of your machine, you may need a "fix" for known problem.