PDA

View Full Version : New to turning

Rick Levine
12-31-2006, 10:14 PM
I got a great deal on a new Delta Model 46-715 14" lathe. It was free as part of the X5 promotion Delta was having last May. I'd like to turn bowls as well as spindles but I'm not sure what additional tools I need besides a chuck. I think I've decided on a Nova chuck but are there other items I'll need besides a bowl gouge and what insert, if any, do I need? Incidentally, I have all the safety equipment already.

Joash Boyton
12-31-2006, 11:31 PM
A few things you'll need.....

A good set of HSS tools......just get a 5 piece basic set, then if you like turning a certain type of thing, such as turning HF's, you can get more tools for that line of work....

Accesories like sandpaper, finishes....my favourite finish, and my ONLY finish that I use is "Shellawax cream"

A chuck is a must, make sure it comes with a wood screw. The insert will depend on the thread size of your lathe.

If you want to try pens, you'll need a mandrel.

And last, but not least, you'll need a little bit of timber:D

This is just a short list off of the top of my head, there are others, but somebody else can come up with them...

Happy new year,

Joash

Christopher Hunter
01-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Joash said it best, but I would also include a couple of DVD's on spindle work and bowls...
It will help out tremendously and will give you some good safety rules as well---
Hope this helps
--Chris

Rick Levine
01-01-2007, 12:40 AM
I have all of the basic tools including an 8 piece tool set but not bowl gouges. I was unsure about the insert but I now understand what it does, that I need one to match the lathe I have. I was a bit confused by the number of selections available on the Woodchips website. I don't think I'll be turning pens so accessories for that won't be needed. As for sandpaper, I have plenty already. Thanks for the DVD suggestion. I'll be ordering those.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2007, 2:57 AM
Rick.....Richard Raffan's dvds "wood turning" and "turning boxes" are excellent. Bill Grumbine's "turned bowls made easy" is a great DVD.

Keith Rowley's book "Wood turning - A Foundation Course" is extemely helpful and well illustrated and written!

Rick Levine
01-01-2007, 10:29 AM
I noticed there are several sizes of bowl gouges. What are the recommended sizes I should start with?

Ron Sardo
01-01-2007, 10:43 AM
3/8" flute

Mark Pruitt
01-01-2007, 10:57 AM
I noticed there are several sizes of bowl gouges. What are the recommended sizes I should start with?
Rick,
Some companies size their gouges according to the outside diameter of the tool, while others size their gouges by the span across the flute. P&N is one example of the former, Sorby is an example of the latter. The best way to know is to ask the distributor, or simply ask this group. Somebody here will almost inevitably have an answer to anything you can ask.

BTW, my recommendation for a bowl gouge is a Sorby 1/2" with a swept-back grind (AKA Irish grind).

Mark Pruitt
01-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Rick,
You also will need a good system for sharpening your tools. Keeping a good sharp edge is imperative; dull tools will only frustrate. (BTW, "new" tools always need sharpening out of the box.) I use a slow speed grinder (1725 RPM) with aluminum oxide wheels, and a Wolverine Jig with Vari-grind and Skew attachments. It works beautifully. Many others on this forum use the same setup and all seem to love it.

Rick Levine
01-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Mark,

Already thought of that. I bought the grinder but not the jig as yet. I have some plans for building a home made jig that I might make. It depends on how much time I'll have verses the cost of the Wolverine.

Paul Geer
01-01-2007, 11:49 AM
After you obtain all the tools, if you can, get live help. Find somebody in your neighborhood who knows how to turn. In my case it was the local woodworking store.

Rick Levine
01-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Paul,

That would be a bit difficult for me. I live in the country outside of Santa Fe, NM and my nearest neighbor is about 1/8th mile away. There is, however a college in Santa Fe that has an excellent adult woodworking class but I'm not sure they have turning classes. I'll check into it though.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Rick.........I started turning last March after the inmates here shoved me into the Abyss. I had never seen anyone turn. Through the use of videos and books I've managed some humble turnings...bowls....Natural Edge bowls, bottle stoppers, pens, weedpots.....The suggestion of getting some live one-on-one turning assistance is a good suggestion. Some live assistance should increase the speed you learn to turn. You might try to find out if there is a Woodcraft store in Santa Fe. They typically offer some turning classes.