PDA

View Full Version : Project: Shop Building Upper Level Door (Updated 5 July 2007)

Jim Becker
12-31-2006, 9:59 PM
This weekend, with a little assistance from Robert Tarr during the "lifting" into place job, I got a door to the outside world installed in my shop building's upper floor. There is an internal stairway that provides general access, but is quite difficult or impossible to negotiate relative to larger items...like furniture...and lumber...up those stairs. While the back of the building is still about 4.5' off the ground, it was the perfect location to put an access door to replace a window. I still need to deal with the J-molding, etc., for the siding (my local HD no longer carries siding for some reason and by the time I detoured to Lowes, it was too late in the day to start the task), but otherwise, it's good to go.

Now I can start to clean out some of the junk lurking up there to provide space to store cabinetry for the home addition as it's completed as well as put some lumber racks for additional inventory and to get some more space back from the shop currently used for storage.

Outside view:

Inside view:

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
12-31-2006, 10:26 PM
Jim, that looks looks it will really be helpful. Nothing I hate more than lugging things up and down stairs and larger odd shaped items can really cause problems. There appears to be quite a bit of space up there. Here's hoping it adds to your enjoyment of wood working.

Matt Meiser
12-31-2006, 10:38 PM
Now you just need some forks for your loader to lift stuff up to the door so you can slide it in ;)

Jim Becker
01-01-2007, 12:18 AM
Now you just need some forks for your loader to lift stuff up to the door so you can slide it in

I am thinking that steps might be more practical...:p

lou sansone
01-01-2007, 7:40 AM
hi jim
part of my shop has a loft section, somewhat similar to your's and I store my 8% MC lumber up there. I have it just spread out all over the floor in that space because I could not figure out how to put racks into a space like that. The main point is to get the storage out of the shop's main floor and up and away.
looks good
lou

Art Mulder
01-01-2007, 8:19 AM
part of my shop has a loft section, somewhat similar to your's and I store my 8% MC lumber up there. I have it just spread out all over the floor in that space because I could not figure out how to put racks into a space like that.

A stair-step shaped rack that you load from the end? Or something on wheels so you can roll it out for access.

Dick Bringhurst
01-01-2007, 8:39 AM
Need to build the stairs so you can park your tractor under them. Dick B.

Jim Becker
01-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Need to build the stairs so you can park your tractor under them.
Dick, the tractor is too tall for that by about two times the available height under new door...and goes in the garage below as soon as I move the kids' tents and other "lawn toys" out. In fact, the tractor can't get through the garage door without lowering the ROPS.
------

The plan of record is for a nice wide stair case up the slightly more than four feet of rise. I also need to install a light. I'll get to that when I get to it... ;) What was more important was to get the access so I can move out the trash and move in the wood and finished projects. I'll be putting out a little of the trash twice a week for the regular pickup and it should be gone in a reasonable period of time.

Matt Meiser
01-01-2007, 1:18 PM
I am thinking that steps might be more practical...:p

Actually I think both could be really nice. with the forks you could lift something up and slide it over rather than carrying it up the stairs. For example stack a stack of lumber on the forks, move it over, the slide it across. Too bad you aren't closer--mine only took a couple hours to make and cost maybe $30.

Jim Becker
07-05-2007, 5:11 PM
I'm revisiting this thread as I've completed the final key part of this project...steps up to the new door. Up until now, I just haven't had the time, but I took advantage of the Independence Day holiday to pour the pad and today to complete the steps. These are 4' wide and I saved a bundle of time by buying pre-cut stringers and steps. There was certainly a little added expense by using that method, but I wanted to finish this work "fast" as I'll not have the weekend due to some work related activities.

At any rate, I really can start using the "upper room" more actively for additional lumber storage as well as for a place to keep completed projects for the addition until they are needed late in that process...sometime before next century starts, I hope... :o Oh, and don't mind the way the siding is ripped up...it's all going to be replaced with the same pre-finished James Hardie siding that will be on the house after the addition is completed. That also made for an easier job.

Richard Wolf
07-05-2007, 6:51 PM
Well, if you are ever looking for work in the stair and railing field, let me know.

Richard

Mike Heidrick
07-05-2007, 7:03 PM
Forks are definately on my list. I will have sometime in the next 6 months - buddy is moving to WA and once the horses are gone the forks are mine. Those things are very very handy!! I have seen some awesome ones built on www.tractorbynet.com (http://www.tractorbynet.com) - there are some very talented welder boys over there.

Dave Ray
07-05-2007, 7:09 PM
Jim, I know you have been planning this job for a while, now that you took the time to build it, it looks good and more importantly give you acess to more storage. This is definitely a shop improvement. Well done

Jim Becker
07-05-2007, 7:45 PM
Well, if you are ever looking for work in the stair and railing field, let me know.

LOL! You may have notice that there are no close-up shots of that particular project, Richard...;) But I do appreciate your confidence. :)