PDA

View Full Version : Face shield question

Thor Sorensen
12-31-2006, 8:52 PM
Have you found a way to keep your face shield from being statically charged? Mine collects dust very fast. It would help if my dust collector was connected near at my lathe, but for now I have no dust collection, other than my face shield.

I have a basic polycarbonate face shield from Wood Craft.

Brad Kimbrell
12-31-2006, 8:55 PM
I learned an excellent trick from one of my turning friends at Manny's Woodworkers store in Lexington.

First blow off any dust, chips, etc. and then rub both the inside and outside of the sheild with either a new or used dryer sheet. Removes all of the static and your problem is gone.

I was amazed at how well it works!

Travis Stinson
12-31-2006, 8:56 PM
Wipe it with used Bounce fabric sheets. ;)

Brad Kimbrell
12-31-2006, 9:02 PM
I heard that Travis actually prefers Snuggle....with that little pink bear on 'em! :p

Yeah, I was told to use "used" ones but tried one out of the box as well. I saw no problem but I would stick with Travis and my friend and go with "used" dryer sheets.

Anti-static is the trick...

Thor Sorensen
12-31-2006, 9:04 PM
Thanks that sounds easy.

Travis Stinson
12-31-2006, 9:47 PM
I heard that Travis actually prefers Snuggle....with that little pink bear on 'em! :p
And just how do you know which particular ones have the cute little pink bear on them? :p

Gordon Seto
12-31-2006, 9:47 PM
Some new dryer sheets may leave a oily residue.

Gordon

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2006, 10:11 PM
Thor, sounds strange but the used Bounce dryer sheets do work! They can also be used to rub out your plastic face shield. With just a little effort it will remove scratches and polish the plastic just like new. Try it - you'll see for yourself.

Brad Kimbrell
12-31-2006, 11:04 PM
And just how do you know which particular ones have the cute little pink bear on them? :p

DOOOOH! Guess you've got me on that one Travis! :eek: :cool:

John Hart
01-01-2007, 7:41 AM
Funny....All this time I've been fighting dust accumulation. Never thought to ask the pros here. doh!:o Thanks for asking the question Thor.:)

Halsey MCCombs
01-01-2007, 8:30 AM
Novus plastic polish works well and lasts a long time, you get it at motorcycle shops. Halsey