PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Form tools and book recommendations....

Ken Fitzgerald
12-31-2006, 8:22 PM
I received a very generous Christmas gift. I have enough money to buy either the Jamieson or Kelton hollowing system.

Later this year barring any unforseen financial difficulties, I will be buying a PM3520B. Currently I'm turning on a Jet VS Mini.

It looks like the Jameson will adapt to work on either lathe.

Any recommendations on HF systems and reference materials.....books...DVDs......

Pete Jordan
12-31-2006, 8:32 PM
Ken,

I have yet to turn a hollow form but I did buy Lyle Jamison's DVD. It is great and it was recommened to me by a fellow Creeker.

Good luck

Jim Becker
12-31-2006, 9:28 PM
I have the Jamison and used it on my previous lathe, a 10" swing OneWay 1018, and now on my Stubby. The Jamison will also work with "other" cutters...in fact, I'm currently running Trent Bosch's bars in mine. But the Kelton is also a very nice system. (I don't know if it will adapt to your current smaller machine, but do know that the Jamison can be made to work...)

Regardless of what brand you go with...you'll really love having a captured hollowing system. It really takes the physical strain off the job and lets you concentrate on the art!

Mike Ramsey
12-31-2006, 10:11 PM
I vote for the Jamieson, I really like mine, but I'm biased as I haven't
used any other.

David Walser
12-31-2006, 10:35 PM
Ken,

Congratulations on your good fortune. Add to your list of hollowing tools the Elbo Tool. It's relatively new, so few have any experience with it. However, from some threads on other forums, I conclude the following: It's smoother and easier to use than other captured systems. One owner, who has several other systems in his arsenal, said that the Elbo Tool is the first one he reaches for. For this reason, I plan on purchasing one myself.

The down side is it the tool's design seems to limit it to small to medium sized hollow forms. As you can see by following the link, the Elbo Tool attaches to the quill of your tail stock. This uses up some of the room otherwise available for your blank. Here's the promised link:

http://www.elbotool.com/index.html

John Hart
01-01-2007, 7:38 AM
Congratulations and welcome back Ken. How are you going to get a 3520B up on the diving board? I better come over and help you.;) :)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2007, 9:45 AM
Come on out John.....Any time!........I'm planning a massive buying spree in mid-September.....a large b/s, d/c, jointer, and the PM3520B......You'd better start soon....it's a long HORSEY ride from Ohio to Idaho!:D

Mark Pruitt
01-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Come on out John.....Any time!........I'm planning a massive buying spree in mid-September.....a large b/s, d/c, jointer, and the PM3520B......You'd better start soon....it's a long HORSEY ride from Ohio to Idaho!:D
Jointer?....JOINTER?.... JOINTER? Doesn't that make flat things? Hear, hear!!!

Looks like Ken and I are in the "3520B in '07" club. Who else?

Sean Troy
01-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Take a look at th Lea system www.woodturningtools.net (http://www.woodturningtools.net) Also check lathe prices at http://astore.amazon.com/woodturneddre-20 John Lea can customize the hollowing system for you. I,ve been using his for years now and love it. The others you mentioned are fine systems also. The Amazon link has some pretty good prices and is linked through the Arizona Woodturners Association website. They get a few pennies on the dollar per purchase through that link. Good luck

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Sean.........Thanks for the link! I'll probably give John a call later this week. I've got some questions and it would be nice to talk with him.

David Fried
01-01-2007, 3:01 PM
... I will be buying a PM3520B.....

Ken "Mr. Mustard" Fitz:

Since Andy isn't available to slap you silly, let me ask: MUSTARD???? :eek::eek:
Did you eat some bad Elk??? :p Too many horsey kicks to the head??
Hello???
Earth to Idaho, come in please .... :D

You're not doing this JUST to get out of building a stand (proper stand) for the mini are you? :D

In any case, Congrats!!

Dennis Peacock
01-01-2007, 5:15 PM
Ken,

The Jamieson setup is what several of us turners have and like a lot. So that would be my recommendation. 3520B eh? Mustard will find yet another home for a real spinner behind the tool handle. :D :cool:

Chris Barton
01-01-2007, 5:40 PM
Hi Ken,

I have the Kelton with just about every blade in the known universe and really like it's heft and versatility. I also have a PM3520a and can say the Kelton is a perfect match to the "daddy" to the PM3520b. The Kelton will accept any blade including the Jordan's, Jamison's, etc if you want. But, it's not a captive system if that's important to you. Feel free to come down any time and try both my lathe and Keltons... Idaho is fairly close to Tennessee right?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2007, 6:17 PM
Hi Ken,

Idaho is fairly close to Tennessee right?

It's right next door Chris!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the offer. Will your Kelton mount and function on your Jet Mini?

Chris Barton
01-01-2007, 9:00 PM
The Kelton will work on the mini for hollowing. You use the standard tool rest for the Kelton hollowing blades. The coring system is another story...