PDA

View Full Version : Solder....

Jonathon Spafford
12-31-2006, 8:20 PM
Got a question for y'all ... I am trying to put a copper band around some of my turnings... when I solder the ends though, the silver solder looks nasty against the copper. Does anyone know if they have a copper colored solder or anyway of coloring the silver solder????

Michael Armstrong
12-31-2006, 9:18 PM
Jonathon:
Go to a place where you can get stained glass supplies and ask for copper patina. It is used to colour the solder around the glass pieces.

Michael

Gordon Seto
12-31-2006, 11:14 PM
I would suggest trying on scrap wood first. The patina contains copper sulphate and mineral acid. They may affect the wood.

Gordon

Joash Boyton
12-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Hey Johnathon, this sounds like a good idea.....looking for something different to enter eh??;):p

Show us some pics when they come out....

BTW what does "ya'll" mean???:D

Happy new year,

Joash

David Wilson
12-31-2006, 11:30 PM
Joash
A ya'll is a two masted sailboat with the mizen mast aft of the steering station.

Joash Boyton
12-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Ok then Johnathon, according to David, you'll need a short paraphrase:D

Here is what you meant eh??....."Got a question for two masted sailboat with the mizen mast aft of the steering station.

:D:D:D

I know what "ya'll"means....

It's an insider joke:D:D:cool:

Joash

Nancy Laird
12-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Hey Johnathon, this sounds like a good idea.....looking for something different to enter eh??;):p

Show us some pics when they come out....

BTW what does "ya'll" mean???:D

Happy new year,

Joash

Joash,

"Ya'll" is totally incorrect. The correct spelling is "y'all", and it's a Southern (U.S.) contraction for "you all." Southerners use it like others use "folks" or the younger generation uses "guys"--although I highly resent it when some sweet young thing calls me a "guy." Regional dialecs and colloquialisms abound here in the States.

And despite what David says, the sailboat he described is a "YAWL."

Nancy

David Wilson
12-31-2006, 11:41 PM
Now we're getting picky on spelling?

John Hart
01-01-2007, 7:59 AM
All Yawl settle down now y'hear? :p

Ed Thomas
01-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Copper rivets are available. It's a simple and neat method of constructing a hoop.

Mike Williams
01-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Jonathon:
Go to a place where you can get stained glass supplies and ask for copper patina. It is used to colour the solder around the glass pieces.

Michael

Jonathan - the patinaed soldererd area probably won't end up looking exactly the same as the bare copper area. If you want it to be more uniform, you will probably have to tin all of the copper band with the solder, then patina all of it.

John Shuk
01-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Not to hijack a thread but has anyone ever tried filling a crack with solder? Might look kind of cool. I've heard of using powdered brass or brass chips.

Curt Fuller
01-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Not to hijack a thread but has anyone ever tried filling a crack with solder? Might look kind of cool. I've heard of using powdered brass or brass chips.

As a matter of fact, I have. But I didn't have good luck. The solder doesn't bond or stick to the wood at all nor will it flow into a crack, just beads up. I tried cutting a dovetail shaped groove in the top edge of a bowl and filling it with solder but when I tried turning it flush with the wood it still popped out.

BTW, I was using 60/40 stained glass solder. It accepts the copper patina very well if you can figure out how to keep the solder in the wood and how to keep the patina from discoloring the wood.

Joe Petersen
01-01-2007, 11:38 AM
I think it's funny to see a bunch of Yankee's describe how to use Ya'll.:)

Jonathon Spafford
01-01-2007, 9:32 PM
Copper rivets are available. It's a simple and neat method of constructing a hoop.

I have some male/female style rivets... how would you use these to make a hoop??

Ed Thomas
01-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I have some male/female style rivets... how would you use these to make a hoop??
It would help if we knew exactly what you are attempting. Does the copper band fit in a channel, or is it fitted afterwards like a hoop on a barrel? A picture would help. How thick and wide is the band? I assumed that you were assembling the band first and slipping it on as soldering on the turning may burn it.

You shouldn't need the male/female style rivets to make a slip on hoop. I use a decorative copper nail from LV. Drill holes through the band, slip the nail through, snip it short with side cutters, and peen it flat.

If it's a thin band in a groove, that's best done by pre-tinning, then solder in place with a "dry" iron. If you're careful the solder will only show at the seam.

HTH, Ed

Jerry Clark
01-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Maybe use super glue to attach the band--:rolleyes: or how about drilling a hole and use a short copper nail. I made some kaleidoscopes with a brass band and used a brass nail along with some super glue-:) - looked good and stayed in place.:D

James Carmichael
01-02-2007, 12:45 PM
I think it's funny to see a bunch of Yankee's describe how to use Ya'll.:)

I was fixin to correct them.

Jonathon Spafford
01-03-2007, 2:05 AM
It would help if we knew exactly what you are attempting. Does the copper band fit in a channel, or is it fitted afterwards like a hoop on a barrel? A picture would help. How thick and wide is the band? I assumed that you were assembling the band first and slipping it on as soldering on the turning may burn it.

HTH, Ed

I was kinda thinking about the use of copper on several different projects. I thought of using it on the rim of a bowl. I was thinking wire though, not banding. Anyway, this info has been most helpful... thanks everyone! I will make sure to post photos when I am done. I have a bunch of pieces I want to show, but I am kinda lazy when it comes to setting up the cam. and taking pix!

Joash Boyton
01-03-2007, 2:25 AM
I was fixin to correct them.

waiting;)......