PDA

View Full Version : small jointer

aurelio alarcon
11-15-2003, 10:20 AM
I have a small Craftsman jointer that I bought about two months ago. I haven't used it yet. It is still in the box. I was wondering if I should return it for a stationary model or not. I don't have a lot of money right now, but I do have enough to upgrade to the floor model that they offer ( I will have to wait on the Jet Model ). Will the bench model be adequate for me or not. I know most of you guys have the nice floor models (I've seen the pictures) but for someone like myself who is barely starting out.....should I keep the bench model or step up to their floor model? I n additon to not having access to a lot of funds, my shop(shed) is very small (10' x 12'). hould I just keep the small model and purchase another tool? ... Mortiser? Small Band Saw?

Jim Becker
11-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Aurelio, While the bench-top jointers are functional, they are pretty much limited to small work due to their short bed length. I recommend you consider going for a cast iron floor model jointer if you can swing it. In the long run, you'll be much happier and it will do a lot more for you.

I used the Delta equivalent of the benchtop you have in the box at a coworker's home in Denver not long ago--I was helping him prepare the material for his face frames. It was a real challenge to work any board longer than about 3-4' on that machine. It was also very loud!

Todd Burch
11-15-2003, 12:28 PM
Aurelio, my first jointer back in '93 was a benchtop Sears 4" jointer. Like Jim said, anything longer then 4' was tasking, at best.

Before I ever needed to sharpen the knives, I was in the market for a floor model. I bought a used Powermatic 8" for $650 and I still have it today (although I am longing for a 12" to 16" jointer with a helical carbide insert cutterhead...! - but who isn't?!)

If you are not careful, you will do what I did when first starting out, and that is fill your shop with tools and wood so you don't have any room to build a project unless it fits on the top of your tablesaw...

Todd.