PDA

View Full Version : Companion Cherry and BE Maple table...pics

Roy Wall
12-31-2006, 7:02 PM
Greetings!

This is my Fifth and final project of the year. I had a goal to make 5 pieces of furniture (or of that scale...) and I just made it!

This is the second of two tables in this style. Same type of joinery as the first - traditional M&T, loose Tenons, and hand cut DT's on the drawers.

Here are some photos....including a shot with the first "little" table...

I do not have the drawer knobs on yet........the LOML is comptemplating a different pull on this new one....so I may have to change the old...:confused:

Thank you SMC and to it's great members for all the information I "soaked up"....to allow me to complete this project and get ready for the new year!

Roy Wall
12-31-2006, 7:06 PM
The top, legs, and the BEM all came from the same boards as on the first table.......makes for a good match!

Dan McGuire
12-31-2006, 7:13 PM
Beautiful work Roy!!!
You should be proud to display those pieces in your home

Roy Wall
12-31-2006, 7:14 PM
few more "studio" shots....

I added some Sycamore to the backs of the drawers...

Roy Wall
12-31-2006, 7:20 PM
Here's a detail of the lower shelf - a long tenon was formed on each end of the BEM on the TS. Then, a long mortise was grooved in the cherry rails...they were left long on each end about a 1/4" for movement (plenty) - and then just glued the Center 3" .....

Also - some of the mortise work and the front pieces ready for glue up....

Roy Wall
12-31-2006, 7:25 PM
The drawers were frustrating for me.

First, I made the lower drawer......only to forget and not cut the sides to the proper length.......they were TOO LONG for the cabinet!!:confused: :eek: - So, I chopped off the rear thru DT's and cut again.

Next on the upper drawer - I split out the front PIN board!!!:o So, here are all these shots and I was fortunate enough to repair the joint and save the day!!

Corey Hallagan
12-31-2006, 7:30 PM
Roy, this is beautiful work (not to mention the photography but we would expect that of you!) these tables are just excellent. Your mix and choice of stock worked out great and beautiful finishes. The dovetails look perfectly cut... I hope to learn this as well some day, but not anytime soon! Thanks for posting and congrats on the beautiful work and fine craftsmanship!

Corey

Howie French
12-31-2006, 7:49 PM
Beautiful tables Roy, they look great !
Excellent construction and I really like seeing pictures of mistakes
and fixes. It's nice to know I am not alone:D

Nice job all around.

Howie

David Tiell
12-31-2006, 8:28 PM
Nicely done, Roy!

Don Bullock
12-31-2006, 9:16 PM
Beautiful!:D

Jim Becker
12-31-2006, 9:16 PM
They are simply beautiful, Roy! And actually, I'm seriously considering coping a lot of the design of the two-drawer piece for new nightstands for our new MBR in the addition... ;)

Mark Stutz
12-31-2006, 9:39 PM
Well done, Roy. Wish I could say I had been so prolific this year! It is said that initation is the most sincere form of flattery...and if so, I hope to see a little cherry/maple table come out of my shop this year. I've only had the stock for 10 months....well acclimated!

Mark

Mike Cutler
12-31-2006, 10:00 PM
Very Nice work Roy. The two woods look fantistic with each other.

The joinery looks very clean and well done. Excellent work.

John Timberlake
12-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Great job. They go well together. Good design on both.

Dave Ray
12-31-2006, 11:26 PM
Very nice work Roy. Congrats on reaching your goal in such a fine way. Happy New Year

Dennis Peacock
12-31-2006, 11:30 PM
Absolutely beautiful Roy!!!!!! Just beautiful!!!!!!! :D

This is Dennis hanging up his tools because he can't match that fine quality work in Conway. ;)

Jason Tuinstra
01-01-2007, 3:17 AM
Roy, the tables look great. I love the wood selection on these. You just can't go wrong with b.e. maple and cherry! And the dovetails are coming along nicely. I lent my DVD's to my neighbor and I finally got them back after many months. I just watched them again last night. They sure are packed full of good instruction aren't they? Anyway, nice job. The tables really show off you your talent.

Hans Braul
01-01-2007, 3:28 AM
Roy, beautiful work. I love the combination of birdseye and cherry, and have made several things this year with a similar feel. The design is clean and well proportioned. Have you considered making pulls of contrasting wood?

Very well executed and I also love the shots of the "out takes". I am not alone!

Thanks for showing.

Hans

Gregg Feldstone
01-01-2007, 4:20 AM
Beautiful work. What finish did you use? Are you leaving the pins and tails on your drawers the same tone or do you plan to make them contrasting?

Mark Singer
01-01-2007, 7:55 PM
Roy,
I have kinda watched this a bit as it progressed through emails....the final product is wonderful, beautiful and nicely crafted. Very nice proportions and the dovetails are well done... stick with them ...they look beautiful and will improve with each drawer you make. You had a full and rich year of woodworking and 2007 brings a great deal of promise for your on coming work! I look forward to each new project you are doing...

Mark Singer
01-01-2007, 7:57 PM
Roy, beautiful work. I love the combination of birdseye and cherry, and have made several things this year with a similar feel. The design is clean and well proportioned. Have you considered making pulls of contrasting wood?

Very well executed and I also love the shots of the "out takes". I am not alone!

Thanks for showing.

Hans

I have my share of out takes as well...

Steve Wargo
01-01-2007, 8:21 PM
Just excellent Roy. You've certainly come a long way quickly. Your tables look great. Congrats on a job well done. Oh... I must get the name of your photographer :D

Jim Dunn
01-01-2007, 11:25 PM
One word "Masterful" comes to mind. That is a great set of tables. I really like the smaller one but that just me.

John Schreiber
01-02-2007, 12:19 AM
Beautiful work and well ballanced.I love the contrast between the figured drawer fronts and the more relaxing cherry.

Dan Larson
01-09-2007, 5:22 PM
Roy,

Outstanding design & workmanship! I really like the detailing of the bottom shelf. Any developments on selecting a design for the pulls?

Dan

Roy Wall
01-09-2007, 6:03 PM
Beautiful work. What finish did you use? Are you leaving the pins and tails on your drawers the same tone or do you plan to make them contrasting?

Gregg,

Finish is Arm-R-Seal urethane....4 coats, last one Satin. Then rubbed some orange oil in and buffed.

The drawer sides and back are two coats of 2# shellac and then waxed. I lost a lot of contrast between the the pins and tails on the front when applying the finish.... planing the pins flush really blended the two woods together...The back thru DT's still have contrast since its Cherry and QS Sycamore. I'm such a padawon learner......so much to know......:o

Roy Wall
01-09-2007, 6:06 PM
Roy,

Outstanding design & workmanship! I really like the detailing of the bottom shelf. Any developments on selecting a design for the pulls?

Dan

Dan -

I've got no clue.... LOML does not like the one pull on the first one....so we are going to pick some out later this week.
These tables are sorta "Modern Hepplewhite"...ish..... so I think she wants a pull that is similar to that era.....

Are you saying I need a Lathe......:cool: ???

Open to suggestions!!

Jesse Thornton
01-09-2007, 6:23 PM
Roy,
I'll add to the unanimous consensus and say...WOW! Those look gorgeous. Fantastic design, beautifully executed. Inspiring.

Reg Mitchell
01-09-2007, 7:11 PM
Howdy Roy......Very nice. Good match of woods too. The finish is very "sparkling" to look at. I like the little guy. I was wondering though, is there a reason behind the two drawers in the second piece, not that there is anything wrong with it I was just curious.
Nice job.
Reg

Roy Wall
01-09-2007, 7:20 PM
Howdy Roy......Very nice. Good match of woods too. The finish is very "sparkling" to look at. I like the little guy. I was wondering though, is there a reason behind the two drawers in the second piece, not that there is anything wrong with it I was just curious.
Nice job.
Reg

Reg-- I debated over one,two, and three drawers...and also with or without the lower shelf. I came close to just going with the one drawer model w/shelf.....but we've got too many magazines in this house and need to keep it tidy!!! Besides, after cutting the mortises in the front leg...there was no going back:eek: . The one drawer would have matched better - I agree!

Thanks to all of you for your nice comments!!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-09-2007, 7:43 PM
Very nicely done Roy! I hope you autographed those.....they are heirloom quality! Great choice of woods and execution! Excellent!

Rob Millard
01-09-2007, 8:26 PM
Roy,

I’m envious of anyone who can design their own furniture; I’m stuck making reproductions.

I can tell by the reflection on the shelf, that they have an excellent finish. The color matching on the cherry is great. I also like the bead detail at the bottom of the apron.
Rob Millard

Calvin Hobbs
02-05-2007, 1:25 PM
Roy,

These tables are great, very clean work with nice finish and photography.

Enjoyed chatting with you on Saturday, keep up the good work.

Cal