PDA

View Full Version : Hair Cut Gloat

Christopher K. Hartley
12-31-2006, 4:18 PM
That's right, "Hair Cut Gloat!" You see I have been giving a few bowls to my Hair Stylist (hate that!!:mad: What ever happened to Barbers?:confused: ) now, for about six months and she just loves them. I went in to get the olé' mop trimmed (no comments Ernie!) and she informed me that there was an old Hickory log in the back of her car. She had picked it up from her family's place in Nacogdoches, TX. two weeks earlier. I ask her how long it had been cut and she said about two years. At that point I didn't have much hope but was grateful for the thought. She gave me her keys to go and get it because she said it was very heavy. When I got to her car and went to lift it out I thought it had just been cut green from the weight of it. It was all nasty and black with cracks and fungus growing on it.:eek: Well much to my delight when I fired up the Sthil and sliced her open what a surprise. I traced out the bowl blanks with my home brew blank tracing tool and...well see for yourself. She said if this one works out there are more where it came from.:D :D :D Not a big Gloat but a fun one! Oh ya, forgot to mention it has some light spalting on the edges.

Mark Cothren
12-31-2006, 4:27 PM
Sorry Chris, but Hickory ain't Oak...;) :D

I dulled some tools on Hickory a few times... but it was worth the effort. Looks like you have some dandy wood to turn! Congrats!

(By the way, here in Arkysaw we still have barbers ;) - red/white poles outside, hot lather shaves and everything)

Clem Wixted
12-31-2006, 4:41 PM

(By the way, here in Arkysaw we still have barbers ;) - red/white poles outside, hot lather shaves and everything)

And they use a leather strop to HONE their cutting edges, just like "real" turners do to their cutting edges! :)

Clem

Christopher K. Hartley
12-31-2006, 4:55 PM

I dulled some tools on Hickory a few times... but it was worth the effort. Looks like you have some dandy wood to turn! Congrats!

(By the way, here in Arkysaw we still have barbers ;) - red/white poles outside, hot lather shaves and everything) Now ya gone and done it!! I want to move!
I doubt seriously that the Hickory is anywhere near as tough as Live Oak, but we'll see.

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2006, 5:12 PM
Congrats on the wood score! Looking forward to seeing the finished bowls!

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-31-2006, 6:00 PM
You're goin' to like the end result here. You're going to get a lot of exercise, too.

Bruce

Jim Becker
12-31-2006, 6:26 PM
Barber? Hair stylist? What's that?? :D

Very nice wood...I bet you'll be asking her for more!

Christopher K. Hartley
12-31-2006, 7:46 PM
Barber? Hair stylist? What's that?? :D

Very nice wood...I bet you'll be asking her for more!Dang I thought I had it covered with Ernie and there I went and forgot about you Jim. Most likely some others as well.:D :)

Corey Hallagan
12-31-2006, 8:57 PM
Great gloat, can't wait to see what yah come up with!

Croey .....um that would be Corey....jeesh...one Tire Bite Golden Ale and I can't type!

Jim Becker
12-31-2006, 9:30 PM
Well, I do let Dr. SWMBO trim the ends a little...although the last time it got a little, umm...shorter...than I intended... ;)

John Hart
01-01-2007, 7:21 AM
Wow...that's some nice figure in that hickory Chris. Gonna be nice....'specially now that you have the hair out of your eyes.:) I think you'll find that Live Oak and Hickory are about the same on hardness. Watch the warp though. Hickory likes to move with that orientation you have there.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-01-2007, 9:04 AM
Wow...that's some nice figure in that hickory Chris. Gonna be nice....'specially now that you have the hair out of your eyes.:) I think you'll find that Live Oak and Hickory are about the same on hardness. Watch the warp though. Hickory likes to move with that orientation you have there.John, is hickory better turned using an end grain orientation or did you mean something else?:)

John Hart
01-01-2007, 1:44 PM
Oh...It likes to move anyway...but it seems better behaved in an endgrain configuration. On a facegrain orientation, my bowls turned into footballs.:D

Joe Melton
01-01-2007, 2:13 PM
Chris, Hickory is just like Pecan, and you have lots of experience with that!
Joe

Christopher K. Hartley
01-01-2007, 2:39 PM
Oh...It likes to move anyway...but it seems better behaved in an endgrain configuration. On a facegrain orientation, my bowls turned into footballs.:D

Chris, Hickory is just like Pecan, and you have lots of experience with that!
Joe

Thanks guys, I'll take extra care with it. I want to do a good job as the first one is a supprise for Dot, my hair stylist.