PDA

View Full Version : Your non-woodworking pursuits

Mitchell Andrus
12-31-2006, 12:41 PM
I'll start....

Playing the bass saxophone in a Mummers band.
Marching in feathers while playing the bass saxophone (23 parades in '06).
Playing golden oldies at hospitals, retirement centers, no feathers.
Being a member of my sons' HS marching band's pit crew.
Cursing at my computer for mis-interpreting my intentions.

www.denvillestringband.com (http://www.denvillestringband.com)

Jim Becker
12-31-2006, 2:52 PM
Hm...'can't beat that list, Mitchell!

Parenting (big time soak!), cooking, reading, landscaping with the Kubota...and I'm trying to get back into my music (keyboards), although it's tough around here for that. Perhaps the lessons I'm trying to give to Nastia will help with that. I do spend a bit of time at the computer, but I'm going to be trying to shift more of that to shop time in the next nine months building cabinetry and furniture for the addition.

Jack Dickey
12-31-2006, 3:05 PM
Heavy caliber rifles and pistols , collecting , shooting and reloading them ..
Old rifle , pistol , and shotgun collecting .. And shooting ..
A litl deer hunting , but , try to save up for the occasional Colorado elk hunts , a few trips to AK , hope for a few more , and a couple more Africa trips I hope ..
Not much fishing anymore ..
Camping , Drag Racing ..
Not interested in football anymore ..
Harleys , of course .. And 4 wheel drives ..

Monte Milanuk
12-31-2006, 3:12 PM
NRA High Power Rifle matches... Across The Course, Mid & Long Range Prone, F-Class, plus the occasional 'precision' rifle match. Woodworking just serves as a distraction so the wife can't say I spend *all* my spare change on guns;) What does she expect? I run the HP Rifle program at one of the local gun ranges, I'm on the board there as well, and I'm one of the chair persons on the state rifle & pistol association also. :rolleyes:

Anyway, since it's a woodworking forum, here's a few pics of my favorite toy... currently down in Kalifornia being fitted for a second barrel (switch barrel set up btwn .308 Winchester & 6mm Benchrest):

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/milanuk/Shooting%20Sports/10-08-06match013.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/milanuk/Shooting%20Sports/Matches/PICT0659.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/milanuk/Shooting%20Sports/Matches/PICT0654.jpg

Nancy Laird
12-31-2006, 3:26 PM
Cooking - when I have the opportunity
Reading - voracious!!
Photography
Sewing
Fabric crafts
Antiquing/junk shops
Writing - I'm 4 pages into my novel :rolleyes: (maybe I'll finish it after I retire)
Strolling through the Creek, plus a couple of other ww'ing forums and a couple of other laser/engraving forums

Nancy

Joe Pelonio
12-31-2006, 5:41 PM
After the sign/laser business and woodworking my next favorite pastime is bonsai, I have over 20 of them now, followed by gardening, stained glass work, and cooking. My kids are too old to need much parenting no, just helping out with issues that come up, like the youngest getting ready to move out and get an apartment with two other guys.

Matt Meiser
12-31-2006, 7:43 PM
I've recently gotten into welding. In the spring and summer I spend a lot of time on house/yard projects (we have 10 acres so there is always something to do.) Seriously thinking about restoring an old tractor which is something that I've been interested in for a long time. Intersted in cars--before my daughter was born I had a Mustang that ran low 12's on the dragstrip. Now I've been modifying our Kawasaki Mule and my new Chevy Colorado with a little more mild changes. :) I've been into computers and automation for a long time. I'm always messing with computers at home and have the heating/AC and dust collection in my shop automated. I can see what the heat/ac is doing and control it from anywhere I have internet access.

scott spencer
12-31-2006, 8:14 PM
I never seem to quite let go of the things I get into, but I sure do "pursue" them like I used to...

- waterskiing
- making highend audio speakers
- singing (before my voice croaked)
- beer brewing

John Shuk
12-31-2006, 8:26 PM
I spend most of my time not working with my 3 boys aged 5, 3, and 11 monthes. That takes up most of my time and energy. I love to SCUBA dive and have gone on some great trips involving that. I enjoy music as well and I try to get to a couple of concerts a year. I guess reading books and Sawmill Creek account for alot of my time as well!

JayStPeter
12-31-2006, 8:50 PM
WWing has taken up most of my hobby time. But, I still workout, play the drums, and ride my motorcycle occasionally. What else ... oh yeah, my 3 kids :D ... they get just a little of my time also ;)

Robert Mickley
12-31-2006, 9:15 PM
Hobbies? I just have lots of jobs, sawmill (if I want lumber to build with) Gardening (If I want veggies to eat through the winter) Chainsaws (if I want to keep warm through the winter)

Bryan Somers
12-31-2006, 9:39 PM
We too spent 4 yrs as HS band parents alot of work but got to know some great people.

Working toward a business degree (most of my excess time)
Getaways to the inlaws beach place to get in some surf fishing when we can
Taking care of 2 big yeller dogs (Labs)

Pete Simmons
12-31-2006, 9:59 PM
Golf - Live in Florida and play almost everyday. Laserwork, small wood work (pens and plaques mostly) and Golf.Bad news for you weekend only golfers - playing often does NOT make you a good golfer. It is a difficult game!!!

Tom Hamilton
12-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Non-woodworking pursuits: let's see, husband, four granddaughters, manage church bookstore, boating/fishing, couple of men's Bible study groups, gardening, Board of a local non-profit (http://www.biblein90days.org/), prep chef for my wife's fabulous cooking, church committee. Makes for fulfilling days.

Tom, in Houston, beginning year 17 of "retirement"

Dan Gill
12-31-2006, 10:34 PM
Being a father and husband, working with the men's ministry at my church, singing with our praise team as a sub, reading, occasional hunting and fishing. I used to shoot Hunter's Pistol Silhouette and skeet, but haven't done either in several years. Haven't flown in a couple of years, either. No time, no money.;)

Brad Schmid
12-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Non-woodworking related hobbies are: Camping with my wife and 2 kids, my Harley, chainsaws, fabricating, fishing, hunting, shooting... Sheesh, I just realized why I never have time to get anything done:rolleyes:

Mike Cutler
12-31-2006, 11:10 PM
Lately, The past two years, I have been helping LOML to Rehabilitate an OTTB, Off the Track Thoroughbred, to transition him from racing to a slower paced life.

Here is Royal doing some round pen work.

John Schreiber
01-01-2007, 12:43 AM
Kids and family are number one. I'm also involved in a couple of things at church and with the schools. Actually I try to be involved in as little as possible so that I can keep my mind clear. I juggle, sometimes fairly intensely.

Used to be a big bicyclist, but the knees went out. I miss that a lot.

My job's not bad, but I can think of other things I'd rather be doing.

Bill Grumbine
01-01-2007, 9:57 AM
Since woodworking is a business, I have had to develop some other hobbies to fill my spare time - not that I have any of that mind you! But when I get the chance...

Shooting, both cameras and guns. Photography used to be a hobby complete with darkroom, and at one point a friend and I took a picture of a bullet exiting a revolver. Now it is all digital.

Long guns, short guns, big guns, little guns, anything that goes bang is a lot of fun.

I built a sailboat a few years ago, but have not been sailing in a while.

We both like vegetable gardening, but again, no time with the landscaping that needs done around here.

If work didn't get in the way, I could do a lot more, but then I would probably take up woodworking as a hobby too!

Bill

Eric Sabo
01-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Trumpet player, or, working on getting back to being a trumpet player (played for 13 years - was making money doing it, then I stopped when College started).

Photography, the digital kind.

Short range hiking... family has quite a bit of fun land.

Kayaking - Quiet water only please

Cars, even though I'm selling my cars/and/or parts for a while... cars will always be a big part of my life.

We also Rehab former track Greyhounds. Of course, we have two now of our own. Three dogs total.

Learning to do some home construction type stuff. Remodeling the house (its been fun!) to learn what I need to learn to start building a new one...

Jude Kingery
01-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Good thread! My husband and I enjoy fishing, playing with the dogs; I love to read. Also enjoy writing. I, too, might finish my book in the coming year. Playing piano and cooking on the grill outdoors. And I substitute teach for the school for disabled/ED kids and Sex Ed. Lots to keep us busy when we're not in the shop! Happy New Year! Jude

Curt Fuller
01-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Woodturning bumped my #1 hobby of flyfishing down to #2. But I just spent a few hours on the South Fork of the Ogden River yesterday trying to coax a few browns out of their winter hiding spots. There's nothing quite as relaxing as standing thigh deep in a river and listening to the water.

Al Willits
01-01-2007, 12:18 PM
""""""""""
Golf - Live in Florida and play almost everyday
"""""""""""

Pete, I hate you......:D

Staying with hobbies I still do or try to do.
Fishing, Muskies is first choice
Pistol shooting, IPSC, Bowling pins, Steel are favorites, Prairie doggin' if I can find someone to go with.
Golf
Fighting with my computor...yup, I usually lose.
Cooking
Metal working.
Upgrading my Home theater or stereo systems.
And the latest craze is Wood working.

Did I mention Hating Pete???

Al....who just got done snow blowing 6" of snow...:)

Michael Gibbons
01-01-2007, 12:49 PM
I bang on the drums once in a while. A Neil Peart I will never be.:p. Hunting , shooting and archery. Been getting into survival lately,never know when the SWHTF :eek: . Play on the PC; looking up whatever comes to mind. Listen to old school music and read. Collect hunting knives, mainly Marbles and Bark River knife and tool brands. Exercise once in a while.

Jerry LaBelle
01-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Ship Modeling - wooden ones
Biking (as in bicycling)
Reading - mainly historical stuff
kind of lost interest in golf - getting too expensive

Jerry

Matt Meiser
01-01-2007, 1:20 PM
kind of lost interest in golf - getting too expensive

Good thing woodworking is cheap. :D

Rick Gibson
01-01-2007, 3:33 PM
Winemaking
Computers. - maintain a couple webpages for some Christian organizations
Cooking
Drinking the wine - doesn't mix with woodworking or computers though.
I used to shoot handguns in competition until my back gave out and I was in so much pain the day after a match I figured it wasn't worth it any more. Took up woodworking shortly after that.

john mclane
01-01-2007, 9:03 PM
Besides working way too many hours: watching (and trying to help) 2 older boys grow and mature, gym, bicycling, ocean kayaking, some travel with lol, lots of reading, veggie garden and fix the house, and, of course, learn to woodwork.

Zahid Naqvi
01-01-2007, 9:16 PM
My list is short. On a weekly basis Tennis and bicycling.

Used to be involved with photography, but then had to choose between WWing and PG, I guess it's obvious which way I went. Raising kids, camping, and canoeing doesn't count as hobbies as they don't happen frequently enough.

Don Bullock
01-01-2007, 11:12 PM
The LOML and I breed, raise and show our basset hounds. The picture below left is of me showing Moose. He's our foundation stud. Moose has sired three of our AKC Champions and is the grandfather of two litters this year. On the right is one of his daughters, Joy, the day she finished her AKC Championship. She is shown going first in the Bred by Exhibitor group. Joy is currently being shown in Best of Breed competition.

54063 54064

We also show our two PT Cruisers. One is a 2001 custom PT Cruiser that has been been customized in the style of a late '50s street rod including actual front and rear 1935 - 1936 Ford bumpers and a flame paint job. The other Cruiser is my wife's stock 2002 that we drive daily. Yes, both have won trophies.

54062 54065

Jim Young
01-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Modding my truck (wood hauler).

http://www.simoli.net/images/Automobiles/STX/Lights/34front.JPG

More to see here (http://www.simoli.net/pages%20Automotive/truck.htm).

Mark Singer
01-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Being husband , father and recent grandfather...with an other on the way!
Skiing, photography, Architecture and design ,restaurant business ventures, sports cars, gardening,travel and my Chuawawa ,Dexter

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Being a father, grandfather and great grandfather (twice in 2006), fishing, playing bass (old 60s.early 70s rocker...lost in the past musically), camping, shooting pistol silhoutte, handloading hunting rounds, trying to find a cheap good HORSEY for JOHN HART.

Peter Lyon
01-02-2007, 12:37 AM
Besides family, work, and the 10 million "honey/daddy do's", I find time for flyfishing, riding my motorcycle (BMW R1100R), golfing and the Seattle Mariners.

Russ Cass
01-02-2007, 1:21 AM
Father of 4 girls and married to a great gal for 29 years :D (who puts up with the rest of this list)
Photography
Restoring sports cars (MG's to Corvettes)
Hunting (bow and gun) whitetail deer and wild turkey
Skeet & Trap shooting
Firearms in general and reloading what I shoot
Cooking
Watches
Diecast car models...as if that isn't enough :o

John Bailey
01-02-2007, 9:39 AM
Sailing
Sea Kayaking

Both of these are on hold due to cold weather and the fact that I sold all my boats (9 sea kayaks and a 30' sailboat) to build a shop. Built the shop so I could build wooden boats. I'm half way through a 15' sailboat to use to get to my kayaking grounds. Will start a cedar strip kayak when that's done. I'm a certified sea kayak guide and instructor, with a business guiding sea kayak trips in Greece, so my kayak goals have all been met. Now I'm working toward building a large sailboat to sail the Atlantic and on to Greece.

Of course, all of this stuff involves woodworking.

Thanks for the thread.

John

Steve Hayes
01-02-2007, 2:26 PM
Photography and Videography for 25 years, Reloading, skeet, pistol, bench rest shooting. 1 recurve and 2 compound bows. Collecting 3 Stooges memorabilia. I think I'm the only person in Tx with a 3 Stooges grill cover.

Phyllis Meyer
01-02-2007, 3:29 PM
Spending time with family!
Daughters ages 18 & 21...need I say more?
Cooking
Writing (also working on book...)
Husband and I are joining the Habitat for Humanity board.
Helping The Elderly (Living Arrangements, Helping Families Cope)
Looking forward to in 60 days being able to travel anywhere, anytime (Daughter Becomming a Flight Attendant)...do we have to have money once we get to our destination? That might be a problem!:)
Enjoying Life!!!!!

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Chip Olson
01-02-2007, 3:30 PM
Parenting is the big one these days. More of a calling than a hobby really
Cooking: hope to get more of this in when the kitchen's finished
Skiing, which I haven't managed to do these last 2 seasons; determined to get out there at least once this winter.
Bicycling: been trying to ride to work twice a week; going to start dragging the small one around in the trailer come spring.

Also want to get back into homebrewing.

Dan Gill
01-02-2007, 3:59 PM
I think I'm the only person in Tx with a 3 Stooges grill cover.

Well, you shouldn't be. Nobody has any respect for the classics anymore . . .:D

Jim Dunn
01-03-2007, 8:17 PM
Lets see:

Fishing
Bass fishing
Tournament fishing for bass
Buying bass fishing equipment
Cleaning bass fishing equipment
Cleaning bass boat
Making the motor home ready to pull the bass boat so I can go? You guessed it----Bass Fishing

Oh ya: Being the best grand dad I can be.

john dennis
01-03-2007, 11:28 PM
I've just given up all my hobbies. Now I just want to be Moose!

With seven kids, 12 grandkids and one greatgrandkid, ya'd think I'd have this Moose thing out of my system by now!

Mitchell Andrus
01-04-2007, 8:41 AM
Everyone should have a goal...

Moose is... good

Mark Cothren
01-04-2007, 9:13 AM
Neat thread... I've enjoyed reading thru it...

Me?

- Husband (1 wife), dad (1 daughter, 1 son), grandpa (1 granddoll)...
- Preacher, youth/young adult pastor
- Hunting/Archery - I love to shoot a bow - recurves & longbows
- Well, basically anything outdoors... I have a soon-to-be 17-year old son who loves the outdoors, so we spend time there hunting, fishing, camping, 4-wheeling, hiking, etc.

Tyler Howell
01-04-2007, 9:17 AM
Dad,
Play Guitar, occasional gig.
Sailing, Love to work on S. boats, deliveries. Going to exotic places for boat repair.
Ski instructor.
Emergency care instructor, First Responder team.:cool:
Rehabing old houses, finishing up on #4.

Charles McKinley
01-04-2007, 9:40 AM
Chasing 3 munchkins 5 and younger,:D

built steel storage tanks off and one since high school almost 20 years (welding),

working on my grandmothers farm stead there is an 1800's timber frame barn that needs work and the house was built shortly after the barn,

restoring my Grandad's 1941 JD L, Dad just bought Mom a JD 2510 :D (she was thrilled :rolleyes: ),

I want to put the farm back in production and try to make enough that I can continue t be a stay at home dad and have extra vegies for winter.

Helping my brother with his long haul towing business. Need a vehicle moved between PA and northern NJ? ;)

Working on vehicles current project 77 Chevy 1 ton dump w/ plow, 54 packard, 91 Cav convertable.

Dan McGuire
01-04-2007, 9:49 AM
I can divide my list of hobbies into 2 groups BK (before kids) and AK (after kids)

BK Hobbies included
Fishing (trout my favorite)
Hunting (anything with fur or feathers)
shooting (long gun, pistols, shot guns)
hiking
Beer Brewing
woodworking

AK hobbies include
driving (dance, soccer, school functions ect...)
watching kids
potty training kids (this is a habit that I picked up and dropped twice already, hopefully I can put this one behind me once and for all)
and my favorite current hobby...Looking at my woodworking tools:)

Derek Rose
01-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Web Design, admin for a few BB's
Hockey
Golf (I live in Arizona... golfer's heaven)
Drooling at the tools in woodworking magazines
Telling my wife I could make her (insert-fun-item-here) if she buys me (insert-tool-name-here)

Bob Rufener
01-05-2007, 12:05 AM
Hunting deer waterfowl and grouse. Got my first deer with my crossbow this year.

Reading

Beer Brewing

Fishing - Especially enjoy an annual trip to Lake Erie and have also been on two Canadian fly in trips

Spectator sports

Golf

Kyle Kraft
01-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Hunting and fishing.

Working on home projects.

Family stuff.

Windmills.

Camping and outdoor cooking.

Helping my friends.

Roger Fitzsimonds
01-05-2007, 1:10 PM
keeping up with our little 2 acre hobby farm.
watching the antics of a 8 member flock of chickens. ( eggs anyone?)
seeing eye person for our blind turkey ( You just cant eat a pet)
3 dogs 4 rabbits
My 10 year old daughter is playing basketball and is on a fastpich travel team which pretty well eats up weekends with tournaments.

Its all good

Roger

Glenn Clabo
01-05-2007, 1:29 PM
Remodeling this old house...1st floor bathroom in the works.
Cooking...90% of our meals.
Photography...never have enough time.
Reading...about a book a week.
Work...New Years resolution...treat it like a hobby and only do what I like and what can be done in the 40 hour week that they pay me to do it in.

Jeff Craven
01-05-2007, 1:51 PM
I just can't get enough Autocross:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/cravej/354_5415.jpg