PDA

View Full Version : OKay, taking the plunge....

Bonnie Campbell
12-31-2006, 11:26 AM
I know I've got a LOT of learning to do. All the turnings I've seen on here have been so cool! But thought I'd post a picture of a small bowl I did. Good and bad comments welcomed.The bowl is made out of sabal palm with a poly coating. Sorry I'm not very good at picture taking :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/annieoakley/Crafts/HPIM0591.jpg

Joseph O'Leary
12-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Bonnie,
Looks like you've learned a lot already. Great job! I love seeing all the great stuff on this forum, keep your pictures coming.:)

Christopher Hunter
12-31-2006, 11:54 AM
Great Job!!!!
Like it was yesterday, I remember my first bowl, it came out complete with a 2" thick bottom --- made it less likely to roll off the table I guess,----LOL LOL
Can't wait to see more pics --
--Chris

David Fried
12-31-2006, 11:58 AM
There's alot there for a small, first bowl. Looks like you dealt with some holes in it. I see a nice rim treatment, a nice foot, and a decorative band. That's a great job and a lot to incorporate into a first bowl! Keep them coming!!

My first bowl involved emergency phone calls to Ernie and Andy to find out if that big crack in the side was normal!

Marvin Hasenak
12-31-2006, 12:08 PM
Bonnie that is a very nice looking bowl a lot better than my first.

Marvin

Steve Schlumpf
12-31-2006, 12:08 PM
Very nice Bonnie!

Would love to see additional photos of the bowl - inside, bottom, etc. I like the details on the rim, side and foot! Nice job!

Gary DeWitt
12-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Nice shape on a first bowl!
You might want to look for a macro or close-up setting on your camera, or place it on a tripod or solid surface if you're hand holding it.
Keep up the good work, looking forward to new pieces.

Pete Jordan
12-31-2006, 12:18 PM
You are well on your way!

I think you did a great job!

Bernie Weishapl
12-31-2006, 12:26 PM
Bonnie you did very well. Looks like you are on the way. Welcome to the black hole of turning.

Tom Sherman
12-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Bonnie I also like your first bowl. Very nice details and form.

Bonnie Campbell
12-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Thank you all for the kind comments. Thought this isn't my first bowl. My first was more like Christopher stated, thick bottomed. I rationalized it too by saying it wouldn't so easily fall off a table :D

This is my first one :o

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/annieoakley/Crafts/bowl.jpg

I started turning making turkey calls. Kinda bored with them...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/annieoakley/Turkey%20calls/ResizeofHPIM0340.jpg

Christopher K. Hartley
12-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Bonnie, glad you've finally gotten all wet like the rest of us. First let me say that I really like the form with the bowl detail and foot. I also like the soft lip and the overall color. The worm holes add character. How is that palm wood to turn? It looks like great wood but the pic could be in better focus (you'll get better at it as time goes on). I might suggest that in future you may want to include the size and three profile pics: Top, Bottom and Side. Thanks for sharing, you did a great job!! I'm looking forward to more of your work.:)

Just saw the new pics, they look great!

Bonnie Campbell
12-31-2006, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the information. My husbands Aunt (5 times removed, we're down south where they keep track of that lol) is going to try helping me on my lousy picture taking. Hopefully it will improve then.

The bowl is 2" high and 4" diameter.

Paul Engle
12-31-2006, 1:05 PM
Nice work Bonnie, I think you will find a lot of embelishments means a lot of sanding...:eek: and a lot of sanding means less turning :eek: . LOL when I first started I did a lot of embelishments... I spent a lot of valuable turning time sanding... not so much anymore. :D

Jon Shively
12-31-2006, 1:11 PM
I have only successfully turned one THICK bowl at this time. The two thin bowls I have tried well, let's just say they "flew away" or I prefer, "sank in the creek!".

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-31-2006, 2:07 PM
I like the shape and the woods detail adds class to the piece.

Bruce

John Hart
01-01-2007, 7:00 AM
You're doing some nice work Bonnie. And a new lathe on the way! Gonna be some great work coming out of that shop...I can feel it. ;) :)

Mike Ramsey
01-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Very nice work Bonnie! Don't know what Sabol Palm is but if it's
anything like South Texas Palm then my hat's off to you!!

Bonnie Campbell
01-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks :) Sabal Palm is the state tree of Florida. It has a 'shredded wheat' texture almost. I had an extra piece around because I'm doing up turkey calls using each states official tree wood. Slowly getting there.