PDA

View Full Version : What are your 2007 Woodworking Resolutions?

Mark Singer
12-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Fot the past 4 (Four) Years I have asked this same question....what is also interesting is did you succeed in accomplishing last years....or did you just put a beautiful piece of exotic wood on the lathe and just watch it spin? Maybe last Year you learned to make dovetails by hand....this year maybe try learn to make them by foot :confused: ...well you get what I am getting at, I hope...maybe there is a piece of equipment...a plane , a chisel...or some tool you are thinging to get....Read the previous years and you will get some ideas...If you already started drinking....you may be in the wrong Forum...our SMC members wait at least until noon:rolleyes:

New Years Woodworking Resolutions 2006
Well every year I ask this question...why should this year be any different:confused: I can't think of any reason...so I'll ask, it never hurts to ask...What are your 2006 Woodworking Resolutions? Now let me givee you a few ideas...cleaning the shop...making somethng that din't get done last year...buying that pice of equipment that you really want...taking a seminar with a great woodworker...or just sitting on that special part of your anatony and watching David Marks make an Asian inspired guilded toaster holder...It could be visiting a Creeker and staying with him (did I say that?) ...Or looking for an old piece of Pizza that fell behing your sanding station...(no that is not graded cheese) You may want to stop smoking or if you have an old bandsaw with an electrical problem, get it to stop smoking... You could cheat and look at last years resolutions...or even previous years...that is cheating ,but does not violate the terms of service....you may want to check the specific regulations in your state or workshop...
This is a very popular post so tell me (and the other wonderful Creekers)what you have in mind for 2006:rolleyes:

For the cheaters...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...rs+resolutions (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5641&highlight=years+resolutions)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15295&highlight=years+resolutions (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15295&highlight=years+resolutions)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15293&highlight=years+resolutions (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15293&highlight=years+resolutions)

Jim Becker
12-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Excellent topic, Mark...as always.

My "resolution", as it always is, is to continue to try and learn something new with each project. It could be a new skill, it could be a new technique; it could be a new material. And I know that part of this for me in 2007 will be learning to "think differently" as a new tool comes into the shop sometime soon.

And put me on your visitin' list...tit-for-tat, as it were... :D

David Kauffman
12-31-2006, 11:25 AM
I'd like to get much more comfortable on my lathe. Seems to be such a big learning curve. As always, it's taking the TIME to do so. With so many other irons in the woodshop fire, just haven't taken the evenings to dedicate to just my lathe so I'm not so intimidated by the thing.

Other resolution, same as last year... keep my shop cleaner than I usually do. I'm one of those use use use till it gets so bad you can't find tools you didn't put back, or can't use machines because they are full of tools and cutoffs from ongoing projects. Then I have to toast a full evening organizing so I can work again.

Anybody else out there same way?

W Craig Wilson
12-31-2006, 11:26 AM
This year's resolution is simple - to do some woodworking every week.
(Seems that events and family and family-events have conspired to keep me sawdust free for many months now.)

Corey Hallagan
12-31-2006, 11:28 AM
My 2006 resolution was to continue to work on my shop space and get it the way I want. I think I am pretty much there now.... if I could just squeeze in a band saw.

My 2007 resolution... sometime this year I will attempt to make a good looking mortised hinge on a box. This is something I have avoided like the plague!

Corey

Earl Reid
12-31-2006, 11:29 AM
I have to get rid of stuff, I ran out of room long ago. I save wood:( I have too many tools etc I,m down to about 6 routers ,gave several to charities) My grandsons don't seem to be interested in wood working. :(

Earl:)

Nancy Laird
12-31-2006, 11:45 AM
Great thread. Makes me stop and think what I want to accomplish in '07. So here goes:

#1 - Retire on December 31, 2007, from the everyday rat race!
#2 - Spend more time in the shop.
#3 - Refine and improve my pen-turning technique.
#4 - Turn some other small things - bottle stoppers, try the screwdriver like Corey did for his dad, Christmas ornaments.
#5 - Learn more about CorelDraw X3 so I can design better things and clean up others' drawings.
#6 - Find and sign up some new customers for the laser part of the business.
#7 - Keep the shop and office clean.
#8 - Keep up with my bookkeeping.
#9 - Learn to turn some acrylics.
#10 - Turn at least one small bowl on my midi-lathe.
#11 - Help LOML and get the cabinets built in the guest bedroom, to make a true window seat.

Did I mention RETIRE?

HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone,
from snowy New Mexico.

The world as we saw it on Saturday morning.

Icicles hanging from the workshop and laser shop on Sunday morning.

Nancy

Alfred Clem
12-31-2006, 12:00 PM
In 2007, to learn to be at peace with progress and not dissatisfied that I do not achieve perfection.

To gain the happiness that comes with giving things away, to identify that which I no longer need, and to perform services for those who no longer can serve themselves.

To realize I must take good health as a marvelous blessing and responsibility, something to work on each day. I have lost so many friends to cancer this year, friends who seemed perfectly healthy the last time I saw them.

To laugh at my errors. Who knows -- maybe I will learn something from them.

All these come with the knowledge that I soon will turn 80.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-31-2006, 12:51 PM
Ya know in my whole life I have never - not once - ever- had a resolution.
Not planing on one either.

But then I am one of those killjoys who can't see one reason (not one at all) to watch some clock tick past midnight either.

Billy Chambless
12-31-2006, 1:23 PM
1. Learn to exercise the patience that fine work requires
2. Develop a decent level of skill with planes and chisels
3. Get really, really good at sharpening
4. Improve measuring and marking skills
5. Complete at least one project so awesome that I'm compelled to post pictures here. ;)

JayStPeter
12-31-2006, 2:01 PM
Last year I listed my plans (not resolutions) as

Here's my list of plans for the year (and probably beyond):
1. Finish the kids beds (including learning to spray).
2. Get the bench useable.
3. become a better sharpener and get a better sharpening setup (stones)
4. Build at least one more piece for the house.
5. Finalize the design and start on a prototype for my ultimate jewelry box project (the one I was going to give my wife for mothers day a couple years ago). This could be the springboard project for making my own figured veneer.
6. Finally finish the dust collection piping in the shop and add some plywood/lumber storage.

I didn't do great. I finished 1 and 2 is in progress. Number 3 I've done a bit and made some improvements in my equipment, but still want to switch to water stones. Numbers 4 and 5 ... nothing. Number 6, did a little, but not done.

This year, my plans are:

1. Complete the basement finishing project. This is something that suddenly took priority over the last year with my 3rd child showing up. We need more space. Fortunately, it will include some cabinets and workspaces that should be fun to build once the grunt work is done.
2. The workbench. It's been in this thread for the last two years. I've got the base ready for final sanding, so hopefully I'll get it completed in '07.
3. Small projects. I want to build some smaller projects, boxes and such, to develop some new skills and have some fun. My minimal shop time gets frustrating as larger projects just drag on too long.

Mostly, I just need to manage my time differently so I can actually get some shop time. I think this year will still be difficult, but as my youngest gets a little older and starts to talk and manage to do things herself (and allows me to sleep) I'll be able to get back in a groove.

Mike Cutler
12-31-2006, 10:11 PM
Reach for a handtool solution instead of the "ON/OFF" solution.

Jack Dickey
12-31-2006, 10:35 PM
HHMM ..
1) Work Smarter , not Harder ..
2) Build a Solar Kiln ..
3) Spend more time in the shop ..
4) Don't give up , realize that mistakes are a part of learning ..
5) Work around my mistakes , if I make an error that cant easily be fixed , think out a design solution that can incorporate the error , or completely change that part in the design .. As I did in my corner cupboard , it was to have a door on the bottom , I screwed it up , and was able to leave the bottom open ..
6) Continue laughing at myself , everybody else does ..
7) Meet up with another Creeker besides Peacock ..
8) Try to contribute something useful to this forum , when I can , and continue to pick things up from all you other Creekers ..

Eric Sabo
01-01-2007, 12:32 AM
1. Cut one stinking straight line!!!
2. Finish my wifes 2006 Christmas present before her 2007 Birthday (February)

Al Garay
01-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Make enough money to pay someone to do the "Honey Do" list so I can enjoy my hobbies.

Get more sleep, not get sick and lose a few... one of the three.

David Wilson
01-01-2007, 12:51 AM
To quit making resolutions.

Corvin Alstot
01-01-2007, 12:55 AM
This is an easy list to make, . . . harder to accomplish.
1. Finish gift box with a perfect french polish finish.
2. Start and complete the night stands.
3. Start designing and then build the writing desk for my wife.

4. Build a jewelry box inspired by a LeCorbusier's Unité d'Habitation.
Sketches are complete, final drawings and construction to start.

More to come . . .

Hans Braul
01-01-2007, 8:40 AM
[quote=Corvin Alstot]
2. Start and complete the night stands.
3. Start designing and then build the writing desk for my wife.
4. Build a jewelry box inspired by a LeCorbusier's Unité d'Habitation.
Sketches are complete, final drawings and construction to start.
quote]

Can you share the designs with us?

Good luck in 2007
Hans

Al Willits
01-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Hopefully to have finally made enough jigs and stuff to make stuff and learn how to use it all.
Get the shop/garage insulation done.
Get the Sideboard/kitchen cabinets done.
Get the reloading room insulation and fixtures done.
Get out and fish more this year.
Get the...er...this list will go on forever, so I'll start with these and see what happens.

Al.....who has more projects than year...:)

John Bailey
01-02-2007, 10:20 AM
1. Finish the 15' sail/camp boat this winter
2. Build 18' kayak this spring and summer
3. Build temporary workshed for 35' sailboat this fall

Interesting thread. It'll be more interesting a year from now.

John