PDA

View Full Version : Dados in Plywood Boxes--Question

Dave Richards
12-31-2006, 9:01 AM
SWMBO has asked me to make some stacking boxes to store some of Ian's toys. I'm going to use some 12mm BB plywood. The box sides will be 8" high. My question is, do you suppose I could get away with 1/4" wide dados for the bottom panel. I would then trim back the underside of the bottom panel to get a slip fit. My reason for considering this is to maximize the usable depth of the box without moving the dado too close to the bottom edge of the sides.

Todd Burch
12-31-2006, 9:25 AM
Hi Dave. Yes, it would work fine. You could cut the rabbet on the top of the bottom for more strength, but then again, I would just use 1/4" BB ply for the bottom and be done with it.

You didn't say how big the boxes would be. If they are over 3' square, I would probably not use 1/4" ply. If they are tiny boxes, say, less than 8" square, you could use 1/8" ply.

Todd

Dave Richards
12-31-2006, 9:35 AM
Thanks Todd, the boxes will be 20x30 outside. I thought about putting the rabbet on the top of the bottom panel but I don't gain the depth that I do with the rabbet on the bottom. I thought about 1/4" for the bottom but I have a bunch of 12mm BB ply so I'll just use that.

Thanks again. Good to see you back on the Creek.

Jim Becker
12-31-2006, 11:10 AM
I agree with Todd that the 1/4" dimension is just fine and given you are using plywood for the box construction, you can glue things up and will have a ton of gluing area involved.

--
And let me second the "good to see you posting, Todd"!!

glenn bradley
12-31-2006, 11:12 AM
I was about to reassure you by telling you that I've used 1/4" in drawers up to 24" wide. then I saw your post that the boxes will be 20 x 30(?). That's a reasonable expanse for 1/4" to flex. I'd cut a piece of 1/4" material that you plan to use. block it up at all four edges and push down in the middle; there's your flex. If it is acceptable, great. If not 3/8" should do it.