PDA

View Full Version : Relatively quick and dirty router table project

Mike Buelow
12-31-2006, 1:48 AM
One more post tonite...

I thought I'd share photos my quick and dirty router "table." The thing fits in my B&D work mate work bench thingy, and I can use the vice jaws to squeeze it in tight. The dust collection works pretty well and although the mitre track is a bit cramped, it has been adequate now for about 6 months. It's nice to put away too when I don't need it.

The router comes out easily enough for bit changes and other use. The Hitachi threaded depth adjustment does the fine tuning very well.

Costs? Let's see:
4x4 of melamine - ~$12
Mitre track from Rockler - ~$10
T-bar kit from Rockler ~$10
Toggle clamps - ~$8 total (ebay)
scrap wood- free

So total is about 40 bucks I suppose. Given the high cost of nearly every router mounting solution, I think I'll stick with this for awhile.

Blanket indemnification for me for any flaws in this design, BTW.

Julio Navarro
12-31-2006, 1:53 AM
Man, I wouldnt hold that Hitachi router with just two of those clamps.

Keep me posted on how that works. Do you get any slippage?

Mike Buelow
12-31-2006, 2:06 AM
Man, I wouldnt hold that Hitachi router with just two of those clamps.

Keep me posted on how that works. Do you get any slippage?

Snug as a bug. I've been quite surprised myself. Did some testing on the bench and they seem to be immune to vertical movement.

Michael Sobik
01-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Alan Greene
01-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Mike,
Pretty ingenious, I am continually amazed by the great ideas you, and all the other creekers continue to come up with. It has been an inspiration to me and has also changed my mind set on "making" instead of "buying".

Glen Blanchard
01-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Snug as a bug. I've been quite surprised myself. Did some testing on the bench and they seem to be immune to vertical movement.

Mike, be sure you consider any rotational movement as well. I would expect those clamps to be pretty effective at holding that router still in the vertical plane, but be sure it is stable in a rotational direction as well - especially when the router gets turned on.