PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Live Center on my Jet Mini

Brad Kimbrell
12-31-2006, 1:10 AM
I was running a 3/8" long drill bit through my tailstock to drill a hole for a tool handle that I'm building and my live center seems to have "bit the dust".

It got really hot, burned my fingers :eek: when I touched it, and started making a funny grinding noise. :mad: Could have been too much pressure on the TS plus the bit may have rubbed it the wrong way.

Two questions:

Can I soak it in WD-40, lacquer thinner, etc. to free it up?
If not, how do I get the bearing out of the cone to replace it?Thanks for any advice. It looks like I'm dead in the water....may have to turn a bowl tomorrow instead...

Lee DeRaud
12-31-2006, 1:33 AM
I'm obviously missing something:
You were feeding a drill through the tailstock...with the live center still installed?!?

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-31-2006, 2:00 AM
It's Possible........Since the center will come out, for replacement. That said, I usually replace the live center with a jacobs chuck on a #2 moris taper, to do any drilling.

Back to the main question. If you use WD40 or the other items mentioned, you'll break down what lubricant is still left in the bearings. I know that this doesn't answer how to fix it, but I strongly suggest you don't use them and wait for someone with a good answer.

Bruce

Bill Boehme
12-31-2006, 2:54 AM
You were feeding a drill through the tailstock...with the live center still installed?!?

Yes, Lee it can be done easily by knocking the point out of the live center -- it is a tapered fit, not too much different than a miniature Morse taper (maybe a "Morse #-5" taper).

That being said, Brad, I would probably opt for a dead center with the point removed to do this operation so that you don't have two different pieces of metal scuffing together. However, if you do decide to use a live center again, Put some heavy grease on the drill shank (you can apply it thinly, but it should be heavy grease so that it won't run -- wheel bearing grease would be a good candidate as long as you don't use moly grease).

Bill

Brad Kimbrell
12-31-2006, 3:56 AM

Yes, as Bill mentioned the center has a removable point. I assumed that this was a way to use a long bit like a lamp auger to drill a hole in a 14" tool handle. I usually use a jacobs chuck to drill with, but didn't have room to mount one with a 14" handle in the lathe. There may have been a better way to drill a 10" hole, but I don't know how I would have done it on the lathe.

Bill, the heavy grease would seem to foul the wood and disallow the use of epoxy to cement the tool handle in place???

Looks like I need to purchase the adapter kit and extension if I plan to do any more long boring...

Other ideas on boring a 10" hole in a 14" handle would be appreciated. I do have a Delta 17" drill press, but didn't want to rig up a holding method for a 2" x 2" x 14" piece of wood. Probably will next time!

Bill Kay
12-31-2006, 7:47 AM
Hi Brad,

I sent you a PM regarding a repair article.

Regards,
Bill

Lee DeRaud
12-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Yes, as Bill mentioned the center has a removable point.D'oh! I knew they made ones that did that, but I didn't think the one that came with the Jet Mini was one of them until I looked a lot closer at mine.

If I had to guess, sounds like the drill hit the "corner" at the narrow end of the taper where the center seats and got some metal shavings into the bearing. That hole is just barely more than 3/8": I can't get the calipers in that deep but a 25/64" drill bit is snug on mine.

As far as getting the bearing out to replace it, you might try heating it up in the oven to get the hole to expand.

Dave Smith
12-31-2006, 12:31 PM
The hollow tail stock is designed for boring spindle pieces. If you used a standard bit instead of a lamp auger I suspect the chips were not ejected properly and built up in the live center. The resulting friction heat fried the bearings. I have replaced the bearing in the live center on my Jet 1236 with a double sealed bearing. In fact I have replaced all the bearing on the 1236 with double sealed bearings. I haven't had to replace the bearing in the live center on my Jet mini yet.

Find your local bearing house and take the bearing to them if you can't read the numbers. Drop me an email if you can't figure out the numbers. A bearing house will have better prices than the manufacturer and you will be able to get upgraded bearings probably the same day. If they have to order it you will not have to pay postage.

FYI you can get a replacement belt from the bearing house for the jet mini at a much better price also. For more savings buy a belt that is twice as wide and carefully cut it down the center for two belts. It cost me 50% more for a six ridge belt than the three ridge replacement belt.

Good luck.

Dave Smith

Cheap is as cheap does in Longview, WA.

Brad Kimbrell
12-31-2006, 3:35 PM
Bill & Dave,

Thanks for the excellent advice. Bill's PM article was titled "Jet Mini Live Center Bearing Replacement" and is right on. Dave, it even mentions getting the upgraded bearings which are sealed on both sides as you did.

And Dave, it was not a lamp auger but a standard 18" 3/8" bit that I used for boring some 6x6 timbers for rebar to hold them in the ground where I burried them. And yes, the shavings had to be knocked out of the bit flutes and were solidified when I pulled it out. I made about 10 passes with it but it just couldn't eject the chips fast enough.

Thanks to all for the sage advice. I'm a fairly accomplished "flat" woodworker (new to turning) but when it comes to machine maintenance I could use a little schooling! Usually don't figure out how something works until it's broke. Too much fun using 'em!

I'm off to San Juan tomorrow on biz, but I'll get to the bearing supply house on Friday when I return. Maybe I'll be back up on Sat thanks to you fellas. :p

Clem Wixted
12-31-2006, 3:56 PM
Bill,

Would you mind sharing the article with me also?

Thanks,

Clem

Hi Brad,

I sent you a PM regarding a repair article.

Regards,
Bill

Brad Kimbrell
12-31-2006, 11:08 PM
Update...

I did get that live center apart tonight and ordered a new double-sealed bearing from McMaster Carr for about $6.50. Took the opportunity to order a few carbide tool bits for my Craftsman 618 as well.

And when I took the old one apart, it was exactly as you said...full of burned sawdust! Had to cut it out with a utility knife just to get it started. Nasty looking stuff. :(

Looks like Jet would have put a better double-sealed bearing in there in the first place. They couldn't have saved more than $2. :confused:

I also ordered another bearing to fit my extra MT-2 that came with my Beale polishing wheels. I plan to turn a large cone center to fit the bearing and make my own live center for things with larger holes in them.

Thanks again for all of the help. :D

Mike Ramsey
01-01-2007, 10:17 AM
You could also buy a hollow center designed for drilling, if you like
cheap then PSI sells them.

Clem Wixted
01-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Bill,

I searched for, and found the article by Phil Joines.

Clem

Bill,

Would you mind sharing the article with me also?

Thanks,

Clem