PDA

View Full Version : Leaving my mark

Jeff Hamilton
11-14-2003, 11:43 PM
Hello all i'm looking for ways to personalize projects that I sell.I was thinking about a wooden medalion with a logo pressed into it that could be embeded into the piece in a visible location.How do you leave your mark on your projects?
Jeff Hamilton

Jim Becker
11-15-2003, 10:01 AM
I recently bought an electric branding iron for the larger projects. For my turnings, I just turn [sic] to a fine Sharpie at present, but may try my woodburing set if I can keep my hand steady enough. But the medalion idea is very nice.

Glenn Clabo
11-15-2003, 10:03 AM
Check out Ken's laser cut medalion. It's the best I've seen.

Ken Salisbury
11-15-2003, 10:47 AM
In the past I used an electric branding iron. I then started using a "Sharpie" pen to "make my mark" on the bottom of bowls.

I presently use laser engraved wooden medallions to "make my mark". They are made various sizes and types of wood and are 1/8" thick. I simply drill a hole with a forstner bit and glue them in place. The ones shown in the pic below are 3 different sizes of cherry and poplar.

In collabortion with Keith Outten we were marketing these medallions. Due to a general lack of interest, I removed the page from my web site with the purchasing information. Keith may be willing to make you some.

Strange this post should appear now. I received an e-mail yesterday from a previous customer of medallions looking to acquire some for a friend. Maybe I should reconsider my decision to stop selling these :D. Keith might read and respond - he might be willing to make you some.

Here are pics of what I use: