PDA

View Full Version : Shooting with a Low Angle (bevel up) Plane

Gary Curtis
12-30-2006, 9:53 PM
I just learned that the Lee Valley L.A. bevel up smoothing plane can't be used with a shooting board. Can that be done with the Lie Nielsen? Is the problem with Lee Valley the shape of the sole?

Gary Curtis

Martin Shupe
12-30-2006, 10:54 PM
I use my LN 62 on my shooting board and it works very well. Don't know about the LV.

Pam Niedermayer
12-30-2006, 10:54 PM
The potential problem is with the sides and their attachment angle to the sole, there are no guarantees that that angle is 90°. Also, the sides of most smoothers are much smaller than desirable. So check the angle and if it's 90°, your plane is golden.

Pam

Rusty Miller
12-31-2006, 12:11 AM
I have the LV LA jack and it is an excellent shooting plane.

Rusty

Michael Pilla
12-31-2006, 12:23 AM
The LV low angle jack and low angle smoother seem to be made for shooting while, as noted above, the bevel up smoother doesn't have the same side wings.

I'm waiting for my la smoother to arrive so I can use it as a dedicated shooting plane.

Michael

Clinton Findlay
12-31-2006, 12:47 AM
A look at the Bevel Up page of Lee Valley's website will show the different shape of the plane bodies.

The Low Angle Jack has the square machined sides/sole, and is suited to the shooting board.

The Bevel Up smoother is a dedicated smoothing plane and the sides are not suited to the shooting board, and this is not its intended/design purpose. I suspect that the planes design focus was purely toward maximising its characteristics for use as a smoother, and as a smoother only.
Additionally, it is rather short for good registration on the shooting board, i.e. the LA Jack is 15" long, the coffin shaped BU Smoother is only 10".

I'm still unsure of the rules for enclosing links and can't be bothered saving the image to a photo albumn website and inserting the link.

Suffice to say that the website is easy to find, and just look for the woodworking/planes/Veritas Bevel Up planes page.

My experience is that the LA Jack did an excellent job when used for smoothing, and use it as for smoothing as well as a jack/shooting. I did not see the need to purchase the BU Smoother as my $ were better used elsewhere.

I have not heard a criticism of the BU Smoother, except the familiar comment re the dislike of the lack of conformity to Stanely type handles.

Charles McKinley
01-02-2007, 11:06 PM
here is the link to the LV BU smoother:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51870&cat=1,41182,41187&ap=1

The link restrictions are only to your own site and other ww forums.

Pam Niedermayer
01-03-2007, 1:04 AM
here is the link to the LV BU smoother:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51870&cat=1,41182,41187&ap=1

The link restrictions are only to your own site and other ww forums.

Hmmm, the excuse I was given was that the pages linked to other woodworking sites were somehow more likely to be disappeared, thus leading to dead links. So are the powers that be contending that links to vendor sites are not likely to go dead? I don't see how that could be, commercial sites are often reorged, pages renamed, etc.

Pam