PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 221 + Byrd Head

Garay Holland
12-30-2006, 9:52 PM
OK, I need suggestions to make this a good deal. My wife and I have had a wood workshop for many years but never had a planer. Since we are both retired Air Force we have many fond years of experience in base wood hobby shops of which most had Powermatic planers. So when we got a chance to purchase a 20" P221 that was in great conditions we jumped. Since it had everything EXCEPT the grinder/jointer we at first looked at getting one. But, after reading a lot of threads here and on other forums we decided to get the Byrd head. Becky at Byrd said yesterday we should get it by the middle of next week.

Long story, but now the question! We have the past experience in using but not in alignment and setup --expecially with the new head.(Wish we had that guy here from the hobbyshop in Spangdalhem Germany - he kept everything running perfectly!) Would greatly appreciate any and all advice. Recommendation on dial indicators for example.
Thanks,
Garay

Joe Jensen
12-30-2006, 10:53 PM
OK, I need suggestions to make this a good deal. My wife and I have had a wood workshop for many years but never had a planer. Since we are both retired Air Force we have many fond years of experience in base wood hobby shops of which most had Powermatic planers. So when we got a chance to purchase a 20" P221 that was in great conditions we jumped. Since it had everything EXCEPT the grinder/jointer we at first looked at getting one. But, after reading a lot of threads here and on other forums we decided to get the Byrd head. Becky at Byrd said yesterday we should get it by the middle of next week.

Long story, but now the question! We have the past experience in using but not in alignment and setup --expecially with the new head.(Wish we had that guy here from the hobbyshop in Spangdalhem Germany - he kept everything running perfectly!) Would greatly appreciate any and all advice. Recommendation on dial indicators for example.
Thanks,
Garay

I'm envious, wish I had the space for that bad boy. I have a Powermatic Model 100 which is the 12" version of your machine. I put a Byrd head in a couple months ago. It's not too difficult if you have a little mechanical aptitude. I called Powermatic and asked to speak with a technician. He was able to explain to me how to remove the head from the machine. Also, you will want the manual. If you don't have it, you can try www.owwm.com (http://www.owwm.com) or Powermatic will sell you a copy. Also, Powermatic can sell you new bearings, or if you get the same guy I did, he will tell you the brand and model number of bearing so you can buy them locally. Changing the cutterhead requires you to disassemble about 1/2 of the mahine. It's not too challenging, but if you are intimidated, you can take photos of each step to document how it came apart.

On setting it up, you will want a dial indicator and a base that will hold the indicator two ways, with the plunger up, and with the plunger down. I bought mine from Wilke machine about 15 years ago. The manual will tell you very clearly how to set each adjustment, and what tolerance is allowed. Setting up up as precisely as possible will make the Powermatic sing. Good luck, and you've make a great decision.

One more thing, Brian from Holden posts here and he sell Byrd heads at a discount...joe

Rob Will
12-31-2006, 8:46 AM
I use one of these (Rotacator) to set up the table parallel to the Byrd head on my PM 225.
The Rotacator head rotates and has a detent every 90 degrees.
Unlike conventional planer / jointer knives, there is no adjustment in carbide insert heads such as the Byrd.

http://www.cheyennesales.com/catalog/machacc.htm

Rob

John Shuk
12-31-2006, 8:53 AM
Welcome to the Creek. I can't help much with machine setup. that said I think this is a good reason to indicate where you are from on your profile. Some people might jump at the chance to tinker on a machine like this and help you out at the same time. It is just another tool available here at the Creek.
By the way pictures will be required when the machine makes it way to its new home.

Dave Bureau
12-31-2006, 8:53 AM
Jointer and Planer Knife Setting with Bob Vaughan - Google Video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-572604587960322121&q=jointer+knives)

This might help.
DAve

Garay Holland
12-31-2006, 6:59 PM
Thanks to all -- I tried to download the video but we live in a remote area of Arkansas with only dialup available -- and that often drops. So, downloading such a large video file is out of the question. Is there anywhere I could possible order a DVD copy? Otherwise, thank for the comments.

Garay

Rob Will
12-31-2006, 7:55 PM
Thanks to all -- I tried to download the video but we live in a remote area of Arkansas with only dialup available -- and that often drops. So, downloading such a large video file is out of the question. Is there anywhere I could possible order a DVD copy? Otherwise, thank for the comments.

Garay

Garay,
That video has nothing to do with carbide insert heads.
Rob