PDA

View Full Version : What pieces of furniture do you want to make in 2007?

Rob Millard
12-30-2006, 7:38 PM
At this time of year, for last several years, I’ve decided on a piece (or pieces) of furniture I’d like to make in the coming year. I wondered if anyone else does this, and if so, what they want to build.
The piece I decided on for 2006, was a Seymour Tambour desk, and I was fortunate to have the chance to make it. For me, since I don’t want to own any of the furniture I make, whatever I make will be sold. For 2007 I’ve decided on several choices, a satinwood card table, curly maple work table, or an architectural tea caddy. Time will tell if I make any or all of them.
Rob Millard

Jim Becker
12-30-2006, 8:07 PM
My projects for 2007, unlike "forever" in the past, will actually be scripted as many of them in the first half of the year are related to our home addition project. I normally just do things I have a whim to do. With that in mind, here's that list...

finishing up the cherry vanity for the new guest bath
two cherry vanities for the new master bath
wet bar (uppers and lowers) for the new multi-purpose room
two two-drawer night-stands for the new master bedroom
hall table for the new foyer
bench for just outside the new master shower
cabinetry for the master bath "potty" room
cabinetry for the new laundry room
new bookshelves for the loft library over the current great room (not a priority)
game table for the new multi-purpose room (not a priority)
additional side tables (not a priority)Additionally...I haven't been turning and need to get some time back on the lathe...I have a ton of great material that remains untouched.

One thing I'll still be trying to do as I work through the above projects is try new techniques and learn more "time tested" ones. My intention is always to learn something new with each piece I build.

Jeff Cybulski
12-30-2006, 8:14 PM
Jim - your gonna be a busy man. I need to make,

- TV stand for a 46" DLP and sound system,
- coffee and maching end tables (2)
- cupboards for the laundry

Picked up 100 bf of Cherry and walnut last week outside of Rogers AR for 1.25/ft

Jeff

Steve Wargo
12-30-2006, 8:15 PM
I want to build a Ruhlmann style sideboard. I have a stellar flitch of q-sawn macassar ebony veneery that I think would be excellent for this piece. I'll have to see if I slow down enough to pull that one off though. Thankfully 2007 is looking like it will start off well. If I have a vote for you Rob... The card table.

lou sansone
12-30-2006, 8:18 PM
hi rob
great question. This last year I managed to finish my tall case clock and also a "chimney cupboard" for one of my front rooms. I also finished restoring 2 of the rooms in my c1730 house ( complete with new lathe, hand mixed plaster and true "white wash" top coats, along with tons of custom molding profiles and such ). This year will bring more restoration, along with some furniture as well.

1. currently working on a walnut pie crust candle stand ( 16" top and ball and claw legs ). Just finished the top today and part way done with the legs.

2. I need to build 2 secretaries for my house - would love to build broken pediment type, but my ceilings are only 84 inch and they just don't look right when they are that short. Will probably have to build more traditional flat top with arched door versions that were found in CT

3. I wanted to build a tea caddy like the one you built, or another one that I found in a book I just bought that has lots of good examples.

4. I am also finishing up 3 hour glasses made out of walnut. They are fun and challenging to build. will post photos when done next week

Lou

Mark Singer
12-30-2006, 8:19 PM
I am still working my way down the long list for Ms. Kim....a bed or coffee table is next...bar stools...another coffe table and bed and a bath cabinet and I think she is all done.

Then I will make a sofa , coffee table and chairs for my guest house

The smaller Krenov cabinets are engaging and sem to hone different skills with their unforgiving nature ....so I may do another

Oh a few picture frames for the house

Carl Eyman
12-30-2006, 8:21 PM
Last may I finished which may have been my last "BIG" project - a secretary-desk. Since then my health/stamina/p&vinegar have improved somewhat, and I've promised to make my younger gdaughter a jewlery box. She like lions and I've carved a practice lion to go atop the box and have the final lion blank roughed out. Hopefully I can complete 5this projrct satisfactorly and go on to something else. But I'm going to see how this goes before committing to something else.

Whew! I wish I could commit to a list as long as Jim's.

Larry Fox
12-30-2006, 8:29 PM
Once I finish up the kitchen, I need to build bedroom furnitire for each my two sons (bed dresser nightstand). I also want to build a chess table and will likely base it roughly on the wonderful cherry and BEM table Roy Wall built a while back. I would also like to build a tall clock for my mom for XMAS next year but I am not sure my skills are up to that one.

David Kauffman
12-30-2006, 8:32 PM
Hello... new to the forum, thought this was an appropriate one to make my first post. Been a woodworker for 20 years, but got kinda serious about it the last few. Upgraded many of my tools and expanded my shop. Goal this spring is to make a Shaker side table. Tapered legs, single dovetailed drawer, 18x18 top... simple and traditional.

Long term goal is to make an all wooden clock. (ALL wood, geartrain and all). Bought a milling machine and a rotary table to help with the wooden gears. Have plans for several, but the Thomas wooden clock is the one I will build first. Just need to find more time to plan, make jigs and follow through.

Gary Herrmann
12-30-2006, 8:42 PM
Probably another mahogany bookcase.

Either a mission style rectangular occasional with single drawer or maybe a round top table - depending on what my wife wants to do with that space.

Thinking about a hutch for the dining room - also depending on what my wife wants to do with that space.

Does shop "furniture" count?

Dennis Peacock
12-30-2006, 8:48 PM
Oh my goodness.....You would have to ask THAT question. :rolleyes: ;)

The LOML's list is growing but so far:

Finish the two projects I've been commissioned for.
Work on my woodturning skills some more.
Build a pantry for the LOML.
Start the furniture for the Great Room.
Then...I guess I practice my woodturning and hollow form turning some. :D

Dennis Peacock
12-30-2006, 8:49 PM
Hello... new to the forum, thought this was an appropriate one to make my first post. Been a woodworker for 20 years, but got kinda serious about it the last few. Upgraded many of my tools and expanded my shop. Goal this spring is to make a Shaker side table. Tapered legs, single dovetailed drawer, 18x18 top... simple and traditional.

Long term goal is to make an all wooden clock. (ALL wood, geartrain and all). Bought a milling machine and a rotary table to help with the wooden gears. Have plans for several, but the Thomas wooden clock is the one I will build first. Just need to find more time to plan, make jigs and follow through.

WELCOME TO SMC David!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to have ya around the flowing waters here at the Creek. Being sneaky eh? ;)

Dan Gill
12-30-2006, 9:07 PM
The only thing I have planned so far is a tall dresser for my daughter's room. Of course, I have to finish her secretary first. After that, I'm still undecided. My friend wants me to make some small cabinets with a Texas theme to sell through his website. We'll see.

Calvin Hobbs
12-30-2006, 9:07 PM
This is a great thread, it's great to see what you guys have planned.

As for me, last year was a pretty good one and I hope to continue.

For 2007,
1. Finish the plant stand I have started.
2. Two easy chairs (wingback).
3. Marble slab serving table with ball and claw feet, carved knees
4. Newport chest of drawers.
5. Charleston double chest.
6. Finish a chippendale chair I have started.

I realize this is too much, but I have to aim high to get a small portion of it done next year.

Cal

Mike Cutler
12-30-2006, 9:34 PM

David.

Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

List for this year, including desired material.

Cutting Board. ( Beech, or maple)
Stickley hanging bookcase.(Lacewood)
Limbert style Bookcase/display case.(Cocobola
Limbert style Display case.(Undecided on wood. Cocobola, or Brazilian Cherry)
Start a Deacon's Bench. (Quartersawn Wenge. I have some interesting old Wrought Iron "English Garden Panels" that are going in this one)

I doubt I'll get them all done, but we can all dream.:D, ;)

Matt Hyman
12-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Hello - I have been reading the Creek for awhile. Lot's of great info and talented folks. Figured it's time to start posting!

For 2007, I'll be working on:
1) a pair of cherry vanities to finish the master bath remodel. I'm thinking of stealing shamelessly from Jim Becker's recent post.
2) a cherry entertainment center for a 50" DLP with a pair of bookshelves to match.
3) a new workbench - if I can get the funding;)

Fred Voorhees
12-30-2006, 10:16 PM
I plan on starting this Sideboard project that was featured in Wood magazine about a year or so ago, within the next week. Our son mentioned that he would like it and he is getting married next summer, so it would be a nice wedding gift (besides helping to pay for the wedding:eek: ) After that, one of my brothers wants me to build his daughter a bed and then, I think I might try a corner style entertainment center that has been in the thought process for a few years. This project has been moved toward the front burner now that our current television is obviously on its last legs and I guess we will be getting a flat screen for our family room. Figure I can build the cabinet around the new tv's dimensions.

John Timberlake
12-30-2006, 10:40 PM
1. I am just starting a walnut dining table for my daughter and will probably make 6 or 8 chairs to go with it.
2. Also need to make dresser for my son to go with the bed I made for him this fall.
3. Want to make a card table along the line of a Seymore style.
4. Wife just told me she wants a mirrow for over the Chippendale chest I made her last year (2005).

Denise Palko
12-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Like David, I am relatively new to SMC. I spent most of 2006 setting up my basement shop and building some first projects.

2007 project list includes:

Two small wines boxes for birthday gifts to be given next week (plans in Wood magazine issue 174)
Sewing table for my mother - made of wormy maple and walnut
Step-back cupboard for my kitchen (based on M. Dunbar's in FWW #165)
Maple and walnut CD Cabinet (plans by David Marks project #202)

Dick Rowe
12-30-2006, 11:01 PM
In 2007 I intend to finish the Craftsman style bedroom set I started in '06. I have the bed and two nightstands finished and need to build 2 high dressers and one low dresser with a mirror. Probably will build the blanket chest to complete the set. All in QSWO.

Also need to build a garden bench for my daughter in cedar. Made one for myself last year for our front porch and she liked it well enough to place an 'order'.

Might try to finally get into turning also.

jonathan snyder
12-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Hi Folks,

Welcome David & Denise!

Unfortunatly I have a day job which really gets in the way of my woodworking, & then there is fishing season, & of course there is a lot of snow to shovel!!!

I too have a rather ambitious list.

1. Finish the end table I'm working on
2. A real workbench with a tail vise and front vise. Big priority
3. Built in bookcase
4. Small hanging display cabinet
5. small keepsake boxes
6. I would like to try some small bandsaw boxes
7. If time and skills permit, I would like to begin a bedroom set, I've got 200bf of walnut set aside!

My goals are to improve the skills I have, learn some new skills, and use hand tools as much as possible!!

Happy New Year Everyone.
Jonathan

Mike Armstrong
12-30-2006, 11:04 PM
1. I'm taking a Studio Furniture Design class and want to replace a metal dining room table base [photo] with a similar bent lamination (walnut?) design.
Suggestions welcome :confused:.

2. Finish my workshop "furniture" base cabinets with the 2 dozen + drawers I've already started on.

Other planned woodworking related projects are non-furniture, i.e, carving, turning, and dc re-design.

Mike

George Heatherly
12-30-2006, 11:34 PM
I want to build a chest of drawers as a companion piece to an old dresser that was given first to my mother and then later to me. I've been meaning to do it since I started woodworking 18 years ago. I have problems building large pieces because of limited shop space, so it will be a difficult job.

Dan Oliphant
12-30-2006, 11:42 PM
Welcome to the new members that have jumped in to the creek.

Right now I only have a couple of two drawer cherry night stands planned. Am just finishing up a Stickley (new) inspired coffee table and two end tables, cherry, that are wedding gifts for your son. I don't really need to generate a list of projects, when one is finished, I will plan and execute something else. Like Dennis P. I think working on turning just might be more in the cards this coming year.

Rusty Miller
12-31-2006, 12:17 AM
First I would like to build a Roubo workbench. As for furniture I would really like to build a Morris chair.

Rusty

john dennis
12-31-2006, 12:24 AM
Hi all,
I have started to make "rustic" furniture since I retired. It's a whole 'nother animal as far as making furniture goes.
This year I'm going to make a log bench out of some poplar that I recently got from a guy who has a one-man sawmill who gives me his cut-offs for free.
I'm also planning on making a saddle stand for our saddles out of the same poplar.
I've been asked by a neighbor to make a gunstock for his rifle. Seems a buddy of his was using it on a hunt and broke the original. The neighbor is going to supply the wood and I don't know what it will be yet. Never done one of those before. Should be a lot of fun.
I just bought a Ridgid TS, 3650. Just finished putting it together today. Seems like a real winner to me. Gotta get me one of them Freud Fusion blades I read about in yesterday's post.
Happy New Year All!

Eric Sabo
12-31-2006, 12:59 AM
1. Complete 1, just one project/piece of furniture. I don't care what it is, its going to be ugly and mistake ridden... it will be my first.

Jerry LaBelle
12-31-2006, 8:19 AM
Good Morning!
My list for 2007:
My newlywed daughter keeps adding to my "please dad" list. Which I don't mind at all but does conflict with my loml list now and than.

Apothecary style end table to match the coffee table and other end table I made in 2006. - daughter
TV stand to match above furniture. - daughter
Jelly cabinet - loml
Some shelfs - loml
End table - loml (can't make up her mind as to what style)
Drillpress stand - myself
New workbench - myself
Mobile sanding table to sub as outfeed table for ts - myself

Should keep me busy for a little while.:)

Jerry

Michael Keating
12-31-2006, 8:50 AM
For 2007 I have the following in order:
A dresser for the guest bedroom (I have all the other pieces completed).
A total office redo. L-shaped desk and book case and new tables, printer stand. Anyone have pics of L-shaped desks they have completed or know of any plans?

Oh, and finish a PA spice box that I started. All parts are cut, just need to do the jointery, I am doing this project 90% with hand tools. The only power tool is a router (I can not make rails and stiles and raised panels yet).

Thanks and have a good new year.

Mike

Billy Chambless
12-31-2006, 9:04 AM
"want to":

Built in bookcases for the living room
End tables and coffee table
TV stand
Bed

The bookcases and TV stand will probably actually happen, with store-bought lumber. The rest will probably wait until some of my Katrina lumber is dry.

Jim Dunn
12-31-2006, 9:24 AM
Router station with top and cabinetry.
Second piece of furniture for my wife's art room.
Sliding "closer" for small bath off shop. (just to see if I can do it)
2 blanket chests for my grand-daughters

That just about wraps up my lists. Now if it hasn't stripped my ablities I'll probably think of something else.

Oh yeah, Welcome to the creek Dave

Bob Marino
12-31-2006, 9:33 AM
Well to start, a small radiator cover and a low boy stereo cabinet, both Arts and Crafts. Got the qswo, but chose the wrong soapstone top.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Bob

JayStPeter
12-31-2006, 9:44 AM
Like Jim Becker, I think many of my upcoming projects will be related to my basement finish project. Drywall is going up as we speak, so trim is next. There is a "workstation" for the kids to draw, playdough, etc. that will become a scrapbooking area for my wife someday. We will also do some built-in cabinets and shelves for kids toys. Then there is a tall pantry for the bathroom. My workbench is still awaiting some time also.

Jim Becker
12-31-2006, 10:58 AM
A hearty WELCOME to all the new 'Creekers who chose this topic to "jump in" to the posting side of things! (Good job, Rob...for bringing them out of the "woodwork", as it were... :D )

Scott Vigder
12-31-2006, 11:13 AM
Yikes! The white board has listed:

Quilt Racks (2)
5' Bookshelves (4)
6' Bookshelves (3)
Guest bath shelving
Sons' bedroom shelves
Sewing table for LOML
rug-frame loom for same

But my first project for '07 will be:

New workshop workbench

I have a bundle of elm I'll use for the workbench. I start on Tuesday!

Earl Reid
12-31-2006, 11:15 AM
I have several projects I hope to make.

One more oak chest for our Md, grandson
a wall clock for our Ohio, grandson
entertainment center (long awaited by LOL)
a "bird cage table"??
a lot of pens for FPP,
more piggy banks (More new family additions)
more bowls
more clocks
more toys
more pens

Happy woodworking
Earl

Gerry Musson
12-31-2006, 11:33 AM
-Cabinetry for two bathroom remodels
-Fireplace surround
-Office furniture and builtins for family room remodel

Always wanted to build a tilt top candle stand. See Norm is building one in the upcoming season, maybe I will finally get inspired

Also need a new workbench but that will have to come after projects for SWMBO

Mike Henderson
12-31-2006, 11:52 AM
Couple of office chairs something like the attached picture. I may also try to do another rocker just to try some new design ideas.

Mike

Nancy Laird
12-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Build cabinets up the sides of the window in the guest room - with a light bridge. The lower cabinet is already there (built a year ago), so the cabinets will turn it into a true window seat.

Reconfigure the in-house office with an L-shaped desk, computer station, new filing cabinets (home-built, of course), and wall cabinets to hide all the stuff that is out in the open now.

Since we've built most of the furniture we want/need, these are the last two projects to make things complete.

They WILL be done.

Nancy

Chris Barton
12-31-2006, 12:41 PM
I bought part of a mountain top for a vacation home that I plan to build in 2007. The house is my primary aspiration this year and I plan to build all the cabinetry for this house myself.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Well it's still vague.

I raraly have something so orginized as a "list" that would be a buzz kill for me anyway.

O wannma try maloof style rockers. get back into musical instruments - maybe a marimba this time.

There are some art for arts sake pieces I have floating around in my head.

Ahh well it's only wood. God put it here so's I c'n have fun with it.

Allen Prell
12-31-2006, 3:36 PM
Like a few others, I'm also finishing my basement with a dedicated workshop so many of my projects are related to that.

My project list:

finish basement -- current phase: framing
outfeed table for my table saw
workbench
workshop cabinets/shelves/wood storage
a shelf for my son's room with some kind of light in it
captains bed for my sonAnd if there's time...
7. little side table for our family room
8. some of the wood puzzles from this site: http://www.johnrausch.com/PuzzlingWorld/default.htm

Art Mulder
12-31-2006, 3:47 PM
I bought part of a mountain top for a vacation home that I plan to build in 2007. The house is my primary aspiration this year and I plan to build all the cabinetry for this house myself.

Chris that is a bit ... er ... enourmous!

but it'll sure look good when complete.

Russ Cass
12-31-2006, 3:53 PM
:confused: Hmm...let's see...

1. TV stand for new big screen
2. New router table
3. Mission style blanket chest for daughter #2
4. Big humidor for my brother
5. LP record/book shelf for old album collection
6. High-legged table for the pool table
7. Some new jigs for the shop

I'm just getting back into WW'ing after a 15 year hiatus.
Been WW'ing for 30 years, but found other interests for a while.

But now I'm back in the shop making sawdust :D

Steve Kohn
12-31-2006, 3:59 PM
It is amazing, I just finish several recipe boxes for the kids and a chess table cabinet. Now I have orders for a bedroom set and make-up table and a silverwear box. Now all I need to do is find some time.

Don Bullock
12-31-2006, 4:14 PM
Wow, what wonderful lists. I'm impressed.

Mine isn't so impressive:

1. Oak frames and top to go around two dog crates wh have in our family room for some of our basset hounds to sleep in at night.
2. Mantle and panneling above it (I know it's not furniture) in our dining room out of oak. Plus a "matching" oak handrail at our entry.
3. Two Green & Green side tables for the dining room out of cherry, black walnut and ebony accents.
4. Hopefully a workbench top.

Corvin Alstot
01-01-2007, 12:59 AM
1. Couple of Greene and Greene inspired night stands.
2. Arts and Crafts writing desk.
3. Jewelry box if you count this as furniture.

Jack Dickey
01-01-2007, 6:50 AM
HHMM SWMBO has given me a couple projects ..

Six Legged HuntBoard
Pennsylvania Style Step Back Cupboard
Traditional Secretary

Teri McCarter
01-01-2007, 11:59 AM
I have 3 main projects that I hope to accomplish:

1. Finish the top of an entertainment center (I bought the bottom half of a Lexington entertainment center for $99. It was part of Katrina sell-off stuff.)

2. Build a 2 person 8' computer desk(and cabinets) to replace 1 Sauder computer station and 1 Oak roll top desk.

3. Build our son a captains style bed but I have designed it to be tri-level.

Lots of other small stuff if I get the time. It is really hard to get much done with 2 preschoolers.

BTW/ Are there any other Mississipians on this board?

Happy New Year!
Teri

Michael Gibbons
01-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Well let's see...:confused:

1. Workbench

2. Chest of drawers for my son

3. Desk for my son

4. Shaker candle stand

5. Hanging tool cabinet for hand tools

Matt Meiser
01-01-2007, 1:06 PM
Not sure what order or how much I'll get done, but on my todo list are the following:

1. Maple dresser to match the bed and night stand I built my daugher about a year ago.
2. Master bath cabinetry including a vanity and large linen/dirty clothes cabinet.
3 Master bath remodel to go with #2 which involves some drywall repair, removing the existing vanities, moving the toilet, refinishing the outside of and installing a clawfoot tub, tile floor, and cutting in a skylight. The skylight exists in the roof but is not cut through to the ceiling :confused: --the framing is even there in the ceiling joists, I just need to frame, insulate, and drywall the tunnel.

Bryan Parlor
01-01-2007, 3:24 PM
I have plan to make some indoor furniture out of cedar. Cedar may seem to be an odd choice for indoor to use but I have a lot of high quality 2x4's and tongue and groove salvaged from an open plan stairway.

I have in mind a bench with storage for the front door entrace and some dinning room chairs.

I see some expensive designer chairs on the web made with cedar using light design and sculpted joints.

My thought was to sculpt both rear legs out of a 2x4 then ripping it into two identical pieces. The wood is a true 2x4 so I would get a leg 1in thick (less half a blade width) and as wide as I chose.

I favour oiling the wood as a finish so that I could easily fix any wear and tear but I not sure if the oil would come off on peoples clothes

Bryan

Rob Millard
01-02-2007, 7:00 AM
Calvin,

The marble slab table sounds like a great piece; I'd put that at the top of my list.
Rob Millard

This is a great thread, it's great to see what you guys have planned.

As for me, last year was a pretty good one and I hope to continue.

For 2007,
1. Finish the plant stand I have started.
2. Two easy chairs (wingback).
3. Marble slab serving table with ball and claw feet, carved knees
4. Newport chest of drawers.
5. Charleston double chest.
6. Finish a chippendale chair I have started.

I realize this is too much, but I have to aim high to get a small portion of it done next year.

Cal

Larry Fox
01-02-2007, 10:20 AM

WOW - the rendering for your house looks fantastic Chris. I really like all the windows in the front. Hope it goes as planned.

Calvin Hobbs
01-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Calvin,

The marble slab table sounds like a great piece; I'd put that at the top of my list.
Rob Millard

I have this one dedicated for a week in February when I visit my Dad in NC, so it's a definite. My wife and I will pick out a slab soon.

Do you think a 3cm (1-3/16) slab is ok to approximate period work? This is based on a Charleston table around 1750, clean and very english in character. Planning for 34" high by 48" long.

Cal

John Lock
01-02-2007, 11:45 AM
After moving to the new house? LOML wants a new bedroom set, daughter needs a new desk, son could use something (suggestions) to store all his musical instruments (sax, trumpet, acoustic and electric guitar, bass guitar) and a better desk for his computer. Quilt hanger for my mother. Maybe some guitar stands for the church.

Does everyone's list seem to get longer after every project?:confused:

This all has to happen after fiinishing the shop in the new house.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
01-02-2007, 3:15 PM
My plans are:

1) shop cabinets beginning with a new router cabinet.

2) One each of following for the Shaker classes I'm teaching this year: Hanging mirror, Candle Sconces, Hanging shelves,Step stool,End table, Blanket chest. I also doccument the process photographically for the class cyllabus.

3) Bed for LOML

4) TV Cabinet for new TV I hope to buy this year to sit on.

Check back in 12 months........................

Mac

Chip Olson
01-02-2007, 3:43 PM
Number one: Finish the kitchen.

That done, in roughly this order:
- Wall-mounted bookcase for the living room (over the couch). We're out of bookcase space again.
- Wall-mounted fold-down kitchen table (only way to fit a table in there).
- Pantry doors & shelving
- Stereo cabinet
- Cabinet over fridge, with big heavy-duty pull-outs

Shop projects:
- Storage drawers under the workbench
- TS-mounted router table
- Clamp rack
- Expand the shop

glenn bradley
01-02-2007, 4:40 PM
Obviously from some of these posts I am at the low, low end of the quantities planned.

LOML's Mom liked the pullout pantry she got for her birthday so much that I'm on the hook for the rest of the kitchen. She also needs a rabbit pen . . . yes, a rabbit pen.

LOML has been patiently waiting on her lingerie chest that will match other bedroom items I've made for her. Her daughter is in line for a combo wall unit / snake terrarium stand (she's got 5 decent sized reptiles who are spoiled rotten).

My assembly table and new workbench are still in the background it seems. Does the auto mechanic ever get to fix his own car?

Hans Reed
01-04-2007, 11:25 PM
I am new to the forum too, and what a great way to start. I like hearing about all of the differnt projects to be... I have averaged 1 build per year for the last 3 years (a class podium for the LOML, a coffiee table for a friend, the LOML decided to keep, and our dinning room table). This year I am shooting for 2 items...a large cutting board (LOML) and an antique looking toolbox made from Walnut..finaly something for me :)

Great thread, keep'em coming...

Anyone else on hear from NW Houston?

Zahid Naqvi
01-05-2007, 12:20 AM
For 2007 I’ve decided on several choices, a satinwood card table, curly maple work table, or an architectural tea caddy. Time will tell if I make any or all of them.
Rob Millard

Rob, I don't know about mine but I am sure looking forward to what pieces you will create.

As most creekers most of my projects are driven by what's needed around the house.

1. I have taken up the task of building the furniture of my eldest sons(11 yrs old) room. The plans and lumber for the bed are already lined up, so that's a definate, hopefully followed by
2. A study desk for him.
3. A rolltop desk for myself.

Welcome to all the new creekers who decided to come out of the closet in this thread (pun intended ;) ). This would be a good thread to look up at the end of the year to see how far each one of us got on their list.

Russ Filtz
01-05-2007, 7:14 AM
I moved in late 2005 into an apartment while my house was selling. Finally sold and bought another with no 220 in the garage! Finally got around to settling in and re-wiring.

Bottom line - NO pieces in '06! :( My TS finally turned on over the weekend after 16 months in storage! :D

Marcus Carr
01-05-2007, 8:26 AM
I want to finish the canoe I am building for my father. Beyond that, I am looking at redesigning my shop over the coming year.

Marcus

Todd Burch
01-05-2007, 10:28 AM
I hesitate to post in threads like this. Having a discussion about a single person's project would almost be going "off topic", so to me, there's no point in posting in a thread like this. To me, it's like typing into ether.

And, having a discussion about a particular project is so much more worthwhile than what seems to be unilateral discussion, as in "me too".

The discussions generated here are what makes this forum such a fine place to spend my time.

Sorry, Todd

(P.S. I didn't read ANY of the prior posts, and I'm posting on behalf of the main subject line of the thread. If discussions are going here, that's great, but after 62 posts (to date) with a the subject line as it is - no thank you!)

(And, so, now I wonder - who will actually even read this? Will there be discussion?!!!)

Ernie Hobbs
01-05-2007, 11:52 AM
My first priority is to finish a pair of federal card tables that I started a while back and haven't had a chance to finish them. I'm only a few hours from finishing the woodworking part and then I'll be able to start the stringing and inlay. Hopefully, I'll wrap up the project in a couple of weeks (since I only get about an hour at a time in a few evenings a week).

Then, I have a belated Christmas present for my father-in-law which is the second of a pair of wine cabinets.

I also intend to make my 2-year-old daughter a pencil post twin bed to match the one I made her older sister a few years ago.

I have lots more stuff that I want to make but, this will be a good start.

Mark Singer
01-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I hesitate to post in threads like this. Having a discussion about a single person's project would almost be going "off topic", so to me, there's no point in posting in a thread like this. To me, it's like typing into ether.

And, having a discussion about a particular project is so much more worthwhile than what seems to be unilateral discussion, as in "me too".

The discussions generated here are what makes this forum such a fine place to spend my time.

Sorry, Todd

(P.S. I didn't read ANY of the prior posts, and I'm posting on behalf of the main subject line of the thread. If discussions are going here, that's great, but after 62 posts (to date) with a the subject line as it is - no thank you!)

(And, so, now I wonder - who will actually even read this? Will there be discussion?!!!)

I doubt it people will continue making sawdust ...Fellers using their Festools, and their Felders and never realize how important feelings are and principles...it all goes in the void....the black woodworking hole taht we all know too well:confused:

Todd Burch
01-05-2007, 11:58 AM
I hear ya!

Al Willits
01-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Projects?
Well, to make something that I wouldn't be ashamed to post here for one.
But planned are two basic storage cabinets for our basement and the same sideboard that Fred is going to make.
Then the kitchen cabinets, that ought keep me busy for most of this year, considering I have to learn how to make them first...:)

Al

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=53850&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1167534960 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=53850&d=1167534960)

Ralph Dobbertin
01-09-2007, 3:49 PM
Calvin: I am thinking about building a high boy and I saw your beautiful lowboy. The question I had relates to your knee leaf carving on the ball and claw legs. Did you follow a pattern that you laid on the leg? I have done a little carving but always on a flat surface not a rounded one. This seems alittle more difficult. Any thoughts?

D Randall
01-09-2007, 4:08 PM
I find when I put my mind to a project, or "Project work" in general, I get much done. I am doing a couple of shop projects now, which I dont do much. after which, I have a cherry blanket chest on task, followd by a similar chest design, with turned legs to match a client's dining table (my first real client too! most of my work is done as gifts) after that, an item or two for our home.

Steve LaFara
01-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Where do I start? The big project for the year is gonna be about 20' of floor to ceiling cabinets for the garage that will look like they came out of a 100 year old hardware store. Milk paint and LOTS of tiny drawers. Figure it should take about 3 months.

Other big project is gonna be a large deck/patio out of red wood/stone & brick. Thats another 3 months.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....just used up all the warm months.

And a new bench for the shop and restore some old iron.

Tim Malyszko
01-10-2007, 8:20 AM
There are 4 projects on my list right now:

Finish up my new workbench - I just need to finish trimming the top out.
Build a cedar lined, maple with cherry panel blanket chest - I should have started it this weekend, but recently decided to include 2 drawers at the bottom so I need to rethink the full design.
Cherry Television Stand for my Dad's family condo up in Frisco, CO.
7 Piece Umbrella Table and chair set made from Afromosia. I'm having trouble finding Afromosia locally at a decent price, so this may get put on hold unless I can come up with a different wood. The $7/bf supply from last year dried up.