PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

John Scarpa
11-14-2003, 11:30 PM
I've been lurking here since forever it seems. I finally decided to set up a shop and become a Saw Mill Creek member. I also took the plunge and spent some major $ on a ShopFox cabinet saw, 8" jointer, spindle sander and a Mini Max 16" bandsaw. I threw in a Delta mortiser and variable speed benchtop DP for good measure. I already have a Dewalt 12" miter saw and 618 router pack as well as a 10 Ryobi planer. The "big" stuff should be delivered Monday and Tuesday. This is the culmination of a longtime dream and lot's of saving up. I went with Shop Fox because of the good things I heard about Grizzily and ShopFox here and because a local vendor, Battel Tool and Hardware *no affiliation* gave me good prices at the local woodworking show plus free delivery. I went with the classic fence on the cabinet saw as I prefer that style. The Mini Max was an easy choice from what I read here and from the examination of that saw and the equivalent Laguna model at the show. Besides the Mini Max rep was very helpful and answered all of my questions. I just couldn't get anyone to give me much time at the Laguna booth. Go figure. anyway I think both saws are great buys. I think the Mini Max is a more robust, solid machine.

Now I've got to find a reasonable local electrician. With all of this new 220V stuff and the dust collector that will be next I may have to upgrade my service panel to handle the additional load. I know it will be awhile before I get everything set up but I am so excited! This ole man feels like it's Christmas again!

My tooling is going to be great. My skills aren't up to the quality of the tools but I plan to change that with help form you guys at the Creek and my passion for having my own shop.

John

Tyler Howell
11-15-2003, 12:01 AM
You're in Deep John.
I hope it is all you hope it will be. Good luck, play safe and let the dust fly.

Tyler

John Miliunas
11-15-2003, 12:07 AM
Welcome to the Creek, John! Sounds like you're going to have an "instant shop" over there! (Just add neutrons!) :D If you're in need of any tips/suggestions on setting up the tools or using them, you're at the right place, here at SMC! Stop often and keep us posted on your shop and WW projects. :cool:

scott spencer
11-15-2003, 8:38 AM
Wow....you're equipment is starting where alot of us dream of going!
Lots of nice machinery there....especially the MM16. I got a chance to see it for the first time at the WW show in Syracuse. It's really in a different league than most of the popular brand names.

Congrats, welcome, and enjoy!

Glenn Clabo
11-15-2003, 9:14 AM
Welcome John...it looks like you're going to be having a ton of fun setting things up. Looking at your new tool list...I'm a little jealous. But glad to see how happy you are.

Jim Becker
11-15-2003, 9:55 AM
Welcome aboard, John! Not only is this a great place, but woodworking is food for the soul...

It sounds like you've made some nice choices for your major tooling, especially the MM-16. That's an awesome saw and on my "list" for next fall. The company is great, too.

Regarding your electricity, be sure to have an additional 240v circuit installed for the dust collection system you'll be installing in your shop. (wink, wink...nod. nod...) Do it now and you'll be ready. (Speaking of DC, there is an excellent review article on cyclones in the new December issue of WOOD Magazine for anyone considering one for their shop)

Ted Shrader
11-15-2003, 5:30 PM
John -

Welcome. Glad you introduced yourself and your tools. Sounds like all you need is some practice.

Sit a while longer and dangle your feet.

Ted