View Full Version : Please identify this tree (And, Happy New Year!)

Todd Burch
12-30-2006, 6:26 PM
Hi all - it's been a long time since I've been over here on the creek. Good to see my userid has not been deleted. ;)

Things have been well - the day job has kept me out of the woodshop. I think it's been almost 2 years since the woodshop has seen any measureable new sawdust. :(

I was walking a lot today where a lot of trees were being cleared, and found these nuts/pods. Most of the trees around were Live Oaks, but I'm pretty sure these are not from a Live Oak. Can you identify the tree from these? I'm leaning towards some type of Hickory, but I can't find any pictures to support my theory.

Thanks, Todd

Chris Rosenberger
12-30-2006, 6:31 PM
Looks like a buckeye to me.

jonathan snyder
12-30-2006, 7:36 PM
Buckeye, was my first thought!

Tom Grice
12-30-2006, 8:10 PM
That is not a hickory nut - I'd also guess buckeye.

Steve Wargo
12-30-2006, 8:16 PM
Coming from a buckeye... it's a buckeye.

patrick anderson
12-30-2006, 8:37 PM
Hey....are you the same Todd Burch as in ruby scripts?

Dennis Peacock
12-30-2006, 8:44 PM
Yup...Buckeye alright. Supposed to keep one in your pocket for good luck. ;)

Bill Bezilla
12-30-2006, 8:51 PM
As a life long Buckeye fan i acan say it is not a buckeye.

Not sure what it is though.

A Buckeye has a thicker a round hull withslight spines on them. The Hulls start out green and turn brown after they drop. the Nuts are bigger than a quarter.

At first I thought it was a ginko but could the hull does not look right.

John Bush
12-30-2006, 8:53 PM
Is that the same as a horse chestnut?

Pete Bradley
12-30-2006, 8:55 PM
It is a buckeye, but not a regular one. It's Mexican Buckeye, Ungnadia speciosa. See:
http://www.nps.gov/plants/cw/watercolor/sw28.htm

for more information.

Pete

Martin Shupe
12-30-2006, 9:15 PM
It is a buckeye, but not a regular one. It's Mexican Buckeye, Ungnadia speciosa. See:
http://www.nps.gov/plants/cw/watercolor/sw28.htm

for more information.

Pete

If Todd is in Texas, I think Pete is right. (Unless Todd is visiting relatives out of state.)

Welcome back, Todd, we missed you!

Earl Reid
12-30-2006, 9:30 PM
Todd
Glad to see you again, Everytime I wear your cap I think of you and the Table. Many thnks again.

Earl:)

Todd Burch
12-31-2006, 12:08 AM
I think you guys nailed it - Mexican Buckeye! I was walking a friend's lot today in Round Top, Texas and found these. I suspect it was cut down as part of the clearing / cleaning up process that is going on for my friends new house. I have three seeds from these - I think I'll stick 'em in some dirt and see what happens.

Yes, I'm the Todd with the SketchUp Ruby scripts! (www.smustard.com - woo-hoo! )

Thanks for the welcome back!

Todd