PDA

View Full Version : kitchen cabinets

Chris Oakley
11-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Here's some kitchen cabinets I've recently finished in my kitchen. The first is a "before" picture, the second is what I built. I still have to do the other side and some trim and tile work. Being a newbie I was extremely worried about starting a project like this but it was a great learning experience. I wish that I would have done a better job selecting the grain pattern for the doors and would have used water based poly for the finish. I saw that tip on this forum AFTER I started. I used maple finished with three coats of poly.

Don Abele
11-14-2003, 10:55 PM
Chris, that is a dramatic difference. Excellent job.

Be well,

Doc

Lloyd Robins
11-15-2003, 1:50 AM
Well done! Any other learned tips? I am about to start the same type of job.

Phil Phelps
11-15-2003, 6:21 AM
....I ain't climbin' in your corner with waterborne polly. The only water base product I'll use is latex wall paint and exterior latex. Good job, Chris.

Chris Oakley
11-15-2003, 8:18 PM
Well done! Any other learned tips? I am about to start the same type of job.
Lloyd:

I used Danny Proulx's book and found it excellent for someone like myself. It was very detailed. I wish I would have had made a cut plan, I wasted a lot of my sheets. I used melamine covered particle board for the insides. I really enjoyed the work. I don't know if I saved a lot of money, I made mistakes on two doors and one carcus.

Carl Eyman
11-15-2003, 8:58 PM
Very Well Done

Ted Shrader
11-16-2003, 9:50 AM
Chris -

Outstanding job - what a great improvement! Now, let's see some pictures of the rest of the cabinets in the room.

Well Done!
Ted

Byron Trantham
11-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Looks really fantastic. I just feels sooo good when something like this is finished and looks good as well. Congratulations! :D