PDA

View Full Version : Entry-Level Laser? CNC?

Glen Blanchard
12-30-2006, 2:31 PM
Having recently learned about the Carvewright system, my eyes have opened to the possibilities of CNC routing. I am a hobbyist only, and have no intentions of turning my woodworking into a "for-profit" endeavor. Nonetheless, as I make decorative boxes and similar small projects, I find CNC routing or laser engraving of interest. Keeping this in mind...................

1. What is the price tag for an entry-level CNC routing system? From what I have read, it seems to be in the $2K - $3K range. I am looking for alternatives to the Carvewright in light of negative comments. What systems should I be looking at in this price range? Romaxx?

2. How steep is the software learning curve on these systems? I know nothing of CAD software. Is the Carvewright the only system with easy to learn software?

3. What is the price tag for an entry-level laser engraving system?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Mackenzie
12-30-2006, 2:36 PM
Glen,

Good Entry level Laser systems will start out at about 10K. I would not consider any of the cheaper models due to what you are wanting to do with it there capacity would limit you to what can be done with it.

Glen Blanchard
12-30-2006, 2:39 PM
Thanks Mike. I figured laser would be cost-prohibitive for me. I will narrow my search to CNC routers. Thanks again.

Mitchell Andrus
12-30-2006, 4:17 PM
My next tool/toy purchase will be a Shopbot. No doubt a fine machine with a rabid following any of whom are ready to jump in a plane and parachute over to a fellow user in need of help. Well, just short of that. A few creekers will be by to fill this thread shortly.

Lee DeRaud
12-30-2006, 8:20 PM
The "mini" ShopBot was in the $6K range last time I looked at one. I say "mini", but it's still pretty big, like cabinet-saw big...not a "benchtop" tool unless you have a bench the size of a car. And you need a pretty big dust-collection system to keep up with it too.

If somebody made a machine about halfway between the small ShopBot and the CarveWright (in size, price, and capacity), I'd be all over it.

Mitchell Andrus
12-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Keith must be away.

Ed Lang
12-31-2006, 4:05 AM
I will be happy to answer any ShopBot questions that I can. You can PM me and get my phone number or look at my website in the profile.

I have the Alpha96 and use vacuum to hold just about everything I cut.

Ed

Keith Outten
12-31-2006, 7:30 AM
Glen,

It isn't a secret that I am a big ShopBot fan. I purchased a PRTalpha96-48 a couple years ago and have been more than pleased with the machine.

I recently ordered another ShopBot for the new sign shop we are starting up at Christopher Newport University. Basically the same machine as mine but with a 4HP Spindle instead of the PC Router.

I have a ShopBot price list that is only a couple months old so my information should be accurate. The Bench Top PRTalpha ShopBot with a 24" by 32" cutting area lists for $6,995.00 and the Bench Top PRT Standard 24" by 32" lists for $4,995.00. The stand for either machine is $575.00. You would also need to purchase a router in either case.

The fact that ShopBot has such a loyal following by serious hobbiests and professionals should be the big clue to anyone who is considering a ShopBot. The company is really a major part of the equation and they are very close to their customers, the relationship is rewarding on both sides. Although it sounds expensive the fact is ShopBots are probably the best bang for the buck for a true 3 axis CNC machine and the cost is not really a big factor after you have considered all your options. These are really for-profit machines and although you may not be considering this as a business venture you will be able to produce enough signs or other work in a very short period of time to pay for your ShopBot. At that point in time the machine is free for you to use as you please. I paid for my ShopBot in the first week just cutting sign blanks but my situation was unique in that I had a large job underway at the time.

The learning curve can be steep depending on your level of expertise using computers. You don't need to use CAD software, Corel Draw combined with the software that ships with each ShopBot is what I am using. We have ordered VCarve Pro at CNU to make things a bit easier which is $495.00 but it isn't a necessity.

Visit the ShopBot web site and their Forums for more information. You will be impressed by what you see plus you have the option of attending the ShopBot Jamboree in April or any of their free ShopBot camps located all over the country. You will also be able to find someone in your local area who will invite you to visit their shop and do a free demonstration, by all means take advantage of the opportunity.