PDA

View Full Version : Wood Choice

Don Abele
11-14-2003, 10:45 PM
I'm getting ready to build a stem-ware shelf that will go behind our current bar. Our current bar will be replaced in the future and I want to make the shelf in the same style and wood that I'll use for the bar later on. I have some really good designs for both the shelf and the bar. But here's where I turn to you guys. What would you use for a bar? I and LOML both like the look of black walnut for a bar with a natural finish.

As I said, just the shelf right now, but I don't want to make it now and then it not match the bar down the road when that project gets to the top of the list.

Oh, and if anyone has some good pics of what they have, it would be appreciated to help the idea phase along :D

Thanks for your input.

Be well,

Doc

Todd Burch
11-14-2003, 11:26 PM
Hey Doc.

I too like walnut. On my built-in, I used a combination of air dried walnut and kiln dried walnut and my plan was to also do a natural finish. However, the color differences were too great between the kiln dried and air dried, and there was a lot of sap wood in the mouldings that I purchased. So, I ended up using a red mahogany stain on the walnut. It looks SO good.

I have since done another walnut built-in, and for that, I used a cordovan stain (think "thinned blood" color). I think I like it just as much.

Anyway, walnut would be a great choice for just about any wood project.

Todd.

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-15-2003, 7:27 AM
I love walnut....but I'd look at Honduras mahogany for something big like that. You can get it very wide, very long, and very thick for about the same price as walnut last I checked. I'd be concerned about finding enough walnut that 'goes together'. I just about hate trying to glue up a panel outta walnut anymore.

KC

Dave Avery
11-15-2003, 12:08 PM
Don,

I'm with KC on the mahogany, for the reasons he mentioned along with the fact that, with several coats of a good film finish, it will be impervious to moisture. Good luck. Dave.

Jim Becker
11-15-2003, 12:18 PM
I'm with KC on the mahogany, for the reasons he mentioned along with the fact that, with several coats of a good film finish, it will be impervious to moisture. Good luck. Dave.

I will conditionally agree with this for the reasons listed. However, if you like the look of walnut and it's appropriate for your room, you should be able to make it work for you with some planning and careful stock selection. You can also use an alternative species and use dyes to replicate, to a certain extent, the look of walnut if you cannot get walnut stock appropriate for your project.