PDA

View Full Version : Adirondack Chair (folding)

Tom Ruflin
12-30-2006, 9:56 AM
Here are some pics of an adirondack chair I just completed (OK, it still needs some finishing touches). The design is from Lee Valley, I chose this design because it folds up so I can store them in the garage in the winter and lengthen the life of the chair. I had already built 2 and found them to be very comfortable and look really nice and are strong (especially for a fold up chair). I purchased the hardware kit from Lee Valley which includes stainless nuts, washers and bolts. The first pic is the templates that I made out of 1/4 ply from the full size plans.The templates really speed up the parts making process. The second pic is smoothing out the curves after cutting out the pieces on the band saw. I use spoke shaves to eliminate the tearout that I would get from a router. The 3rd pic is all the parts cut and ready from assembly. The 4th pic is the seat, arms and back assembled.

Tom Ruflin
12-30-2006, 9:57 AM
The 5th pic is a closer view of the arm assembly. The 6th pic is fitting the back to the seat, not much fitting to do as the back uprights fit into a channel in the seat. The 7th pic is the completed chair and the 8th pic is the chair folded up. The plans have full size patterns for both a large and small chairs, the only difference is the depth of the seat and length of the arms. I also used stainless screws and plugged the visable ones to have a more finnished look. The wood is cypress and I finnished the original 2 chairs with Sikkens Cetol. They held up well after 2 years.

Dave Bureau
12-30-2006, 10:08 AM
Nice chairs. I'm about to start cutting patterns myself but after seeing your foldups, i may go that route.
DAve

Jim Becker
12-30-2006, 10:15 AM
Very kewel. I haven't seen this version in detail before. (Mine are the NYW design) The folding is certainly a very nice feature!

Roy Wall
12-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Tom -

I like that idea!! Weather is tough on everything....so this is great. I like the contouring of the back and seats. Very NICE SHOP also!

Paul Douglass
12-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Very nice job. Does the plans include a foot stool? Shop is entirely too neat!;)

Eric Shields
12-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Tom,

Nice job on the chairs. I'll show my lack of experience/web surfing and say I've never seen this design. Will certainly keep it from LOML until I'm able to produce a few, she loves adirondack chairs and I certainly like the foldable design. I'll echo a few others and compliment you on your shop, very nice.

Eric

Tom Ruflin
12-31-2006, 8:06 AM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. The curved back, IMHO, is key to the comfort of any adirondack chair. I have sat in ones with a flat back and they are not as confortable, too much pressure on the middle of my back. The plans do not include a footstool but I believe the plans for the fixed version of the chair does, you woould have to check Lee Valley to verify that. My shop is in the basement and has to be neat so I can fit everything in and still find stuff. I made the workshop cabinets for practice before I remodled my kitchen with all new cabinets.

Now I have to go and come up with a design for a folding foot stool for the chairs!!

Bob Swenson
12-31-2006, 10:39 AM
Tom, I saw that Sawstop hiding in the background. Your one of us.:rolleyes:

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-31-2006, 1:08 PM
Thanks for the post.
My missus has offered to shoot me in my sleep if'n I don't do one of two things:
Let her buy yet more of those gawd awful plastic thingies or build some really nice adrondic chairs - - like those sweet ones they have on NewPort Beach at the piers.
So I saved your images for reference.
Maybe I'll live yet.