PDA

View Full Version : Father Daughter Project

Andy London
12-29-2006, 9:59 PM
For the past year Esther has been after me to build her a new bedroom suite, being 13 the bunk bed set I built years ago just didn’t cut it anymore. Since she likes to change her mind on a regular basis I thought the safest way to do this was to have her design what she wanted, pick the wood and help me build it over the Christmas holidays.

She found a few images on Google and made notes of what she liked. We started this past Wednesday afternoon and have the bed finished. I guess the design is somewhat shaker, not my cup of tea in furniture but she loves it and that is all that matters to me. There are quite a few things I wanted to do (change) such as raised panels and thicker posts for the legs but……I was told that is not what she wanted<G> It sure has been a fun few days!

It amazes me how fast kids pick things up, She cut some of the mortise and tennons, did some of the jointing and pretty much all the planning. The surface sander saved us hours of manual sanding and I would not want to take this project on without the spiral cutter heads in the planer and jointer. We had next to no tear out and the little bit we did have came out with a scraper. She now knows how to use most of the tools in the shop and understands why I have two and three of the same machines….production….

The wood is Curly Yellow Birch (being this figured it is some of the hardest wood I have come across to work with, exotics included) from Cape Breton and the panels are Curly Red Birch from Folly Mountain. The finish is Boiled Linseed oil and three coats of water based lacquer. We decided to leave it in the shop for tonight as it was 10 when we finished tonight (almost midnight yesterday), I was amazed at how fast this went together, only 2 ˝ days. Tomorrow we will clean the shop and start the Armoire which we hope to have finished New Years Day.

Thanks for looking and Happy New Year!

Andy

http://images.meredith.com/uploads/neighborhoods/79700_4.jpg

http://images.meredith.com/uploads/neighborhoods/79701_4.jpg

http://images.meredith.com/uploads/neighborhoods/79702_4.jpg

Jim Becker
12-29-2006, 10:03 PM
A most excellent project for Esther and dad to complete!! That's a beautiful bed.

Now...time for the two of you to make some, umm...accessories... :D

Dan Oliphant
12-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Andy, I really like the effect that you ended up with by combining the two species, the BLO really pops the curl.
The bond that you and your daughter seem to have is wonderful. These days one doesn't hear positive comments like yours very much.

Great job, bed and family.

Jerry Olexa
12-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Andy, nice work!! Your daughter will remember!!!

Nancy Laird
12-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Andy and Esther. That is a beautiful bed. You should both be proud of the job you did--design, wood selection, and build. I can see Esther's daughter(s) using that same bed. It should become a family heirloom.

But what is to become of the bunk beds?

Nancy

Roy Wall
12-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Esther - Great job on the bed.......it looks awesome!!! Keep up the good work!

Your Dad is a pretty cool guy........:)

Don Bullock
12-29-2006, 11:30 PM
Beautiful!!! That's about all I can say. Andy and Ester you make a good team. I can't wait the see the Armoire. BTW - Ester, nice design no matter what dad says.;)

Karl Laustrup
12-30-2006, 5:58 AM
What a great project Andy. That wood is beautiful. Can hardly wait to see the armoire.

Karl

Ken Shoemaker
12-30-2006, 6:59 AM
Wow!! Very nice finish as wood selecion.... I think I like the personal hisory even better... You guyz certainly built memoriesas well a a bed...

John Bailey
12-30-2006, 7:07 AM
Super Esther, and Andy. Great project.

John

Andy London
12-30-2006, 7:13 AM
Andy, I really like the effect that you ended up with by combining the two species, the BLO really pops the curl.
The bond that you and your daughter seem to have is wonderful. These days one doesn't hear positive comments like yours very much.

Great job, bed and family.

Thanks Dan, I have always tried to involve Seth who is now 16 and Esther in what I do and it seems to have paid off. Seth who is now in grade 11 has turned into a professional woodworker and the money he makes shocks me, he bought himself a new ATV for Christmas and paid cash from his sales during this past season, mainly from turning burls.....very proud of the two of them. To have two teenage kids that never cause us any issues is a blessing in itself but they both love woodworking and going on the ATV's....now that is a dream come true for me!

Nancy, The bunk beds were made of pine when I built them and have seen better days, to be honest they are ready for the firewood pile.

Thanks to everyone for their comments, I will make sure Esther reads this.....when she gets up :rolleyes:

Mike Cutler
12-30-2006, 7:43 AM
Esther and Andy.

Very nice. The wood and tones look fabulous. Esther was right Andy, to leave the legs and panels as they are. It has a very classic look.

How did you do all of this in 2 days! I could have never done all of that in two days.

Well done to both of you. Be sure and keep us posted on the Armoire project, based on the bed it should be great.

Andy London
12-30-2006, 7:53 AM
Esther and Andy.

Very nice. The wood and tones look fabulous. Esther was right Andy, to leave the legs and panels as they are. It has a very classic look.

How did you do all of this in 2 days! I could have never done all of that in two days.

Well done to both of you. Be sure and keep us posted on the Armoire project, based on the bed it should be great.

I was speaking with a friend who is also a woodworker last night and he made the same comment. I credit a lot to the tools, with tools that are properly set up it makes this stuff a breeze to build....I also like building with no plans, I honestly find it faster to just go at it with a basic picture of the end project. Without spiral cutter heads and the surface sander, i would have added another day possibly two to this project.

This go around I will get pics of Esther doing some of the work.....we became wrapped up in the project and completly forgot.

We decided later last evening we would start the night table today as she wants drawers a.s.a.p. for Christmas clothes....then start the Armoire.

Paul Douglass
12-30-2006, 10:54 AM
That bed is pricelesss! I bet your daughter will never part with it. I'm anxious to see pictures of the rest of the set!

Ellen Benkin
12-30-2006, 1:19 PM
What a lucky father and what a lucky daughter!!! The design is terrific as is the finished product. I'm jealous.

A friend of mine's father was a cabinet maker who passed away a couple of years ago. She constantly bemoans the fact that she never appreciated her father and his ability to make whatever she wanted/needed. He never invited her to learn his skills because she was "the girl". He did teach his son, who now has no interest in woodworking. He ran his business out of his one car garage with equipment so old it scared me when I saw it when they were selling her parents' house. But the furniture and cabinets he made were first rate and will last much longer than we will. I'm delighted your daughter not onl appreciates your skills but is actively working with you. Maybe you can be "father and son and daughter" in business some day.

Ralph Okonieski
12-30-2006, 1:26 PM
Beautiful work !! Well done to both of you.

Dave Ray
12-30-2006, 7:13 PM
This bed starts life with great memories. Real good story behind this bed. Nice work from you both.

Corey Hallagan
12-30-2006, 9:41 PM
Awesome work guys! That is a beautiful piece!

Corey

Dennis Peacock
12-30-2006, 9:53 PM
You both are very lucky indeed. Beautiful bed and a wonderful project completed by the both of you. Congrats on a very beautiful bed. :D

Fred Voorhees
12-30-2006, 9:58 PM
Nice job you guys. I guess I would call that shaker style also. My Brother just recently asked me if I could build his daughter (my God Child) a bed this winter. Seems he wants it like a platform style bed with drawers for storage below.