PDA

View Full Version : Project mostly complete (my part-pics)

Ben Grunow
12-29-2006, 9:39 PM
Just got a digital camera and I'm armed and dangerous.

I am a builder and here is a recent project that we completed (almost-just need garage doors and 2 more shutters). We subbed the framing as we are too busy to do it (too bad-fun and easy for this one). We did siding and plywood interior and I made the trellis in the shop and installed it.
Made from red cedar 2x8 (2 layer lamination for brackets-rest is just 1 1/2") using gorilla glue. From lumber yard to primed and installed in about 20 hours total. Also included- a pic of the house that the garage is next to, 7800 square feet is enough for me and a long distance shot of the garage, old faithful and my jobsite office (where the real work gets done). Check it out...

John Miliunas
12-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Egads! Now that's a nice little "shack"! :eek: Let's see...78K. Yeah, I could just about fit FOUR of our home in there! :eek: Wow...Beautiful place, Ben. Nice job on the trellis, too. :) :cool:

Jerry Olexa
12-29-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm envious!!! Beautiful home, shop and trellis..Good choices all.

glenn bradley
12-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Bootiful stuff Ben!

Ben Grunow
12-30-2006, 9:11 PM
Not my house! I hope you dont think I have to work to earn the $ to heat that. Just a customer of mine. I went inside the other day and there is a room with herringbone endgrain fir (4" x 8" pieces) flooring with radiat heat, barrel vaulted ceiling and round top doors- all original from 1920's (probably not the radiant) and very cool indeed.

Just realized I didnt mention that the brackets were M&T (tenons were 1 1/2" thick x 2 1/4 deep and 3 1/2" wide), fun stuff and what a pleasure in cedar. Cleaning up the mortises with the chisels was like running a hot knife through butter.

Glad you liked it. Thanks for looking.

Ben

Jim Becker
12-30-2006, 9:41 PM
Very nice work, Ben. It's great that you got to work on such a beatiful property, too.

Dennis Peacock
12-30-2006, 9:59 PM
Pretty work Ben. Nice place to be working on as well. ;)

Ben Grunow
12-31-2006, 3:36 PM
It looks good in the picture but when I was working there they had about 20 men and 3-4 machines rearranging the landscape. Trucking in load after load fo soil and breaking rock with a hoe ram all the while. Tree spade moved several large trees and 2 tractor trailer loads of 25' (yes feet) tall pine trees were delivered and planted. it really would be a nice place to work except all the work is done. Budget was easily over $100k.

I am deafer for having done the siding.