PDA

View Full Version : New Midi lathe wanted

CPeter James
12-29-2006, 6:59 PM
A friend ordered a General Midi lathe back in November and it is now iffy as to when they might actually deliver it due to some problems they have found with the speed control. The cost was about $500. For the same kind of money, does anyone know of a similar lathe the could be had? The General has electronic variable speed control and 12" swing, a swivel head for bowl turning, and you can add a section onto the bed to extend it.

CPeter

Corey Hallagan
12-29-2006, 7:02 PM
The closest thing would be the Jet VS mini or the new Steel City VS Mini. Both are a little smaller units overall. I hope they get that General fixed up... that is a nice size and piece of equipment otherwise.

Corey

Mark Pruitt
12-29-2006, 7:15 PM
You might want to PM Pete Jordan about this. He had a recent experience (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48417) with this lathe and General made it right for him, but it did take some time. Last I heard, he was satisfied with their "fix."

Bob Hallowell
12-29-2006, 11:51 PM
A few of us just ordered the palmgren on amazon. It is a $500 lathe for $290 shipped

Little bigger and more powerful then a mini but a great price.

Bob

Rex Guinn
12-30-2006, 7:55 AM
My Palmgren just came in yesterday, set it up on a bench I had but will need to make a new bench just for the lateh. It look good and even runs thru all speeds.
Has a handle to turn to ajust the speed. I think I will like it for my first lathe.

Jon Shively
12-30-2006, 1:18 PM
The Craftsman 15" Pro has a swing head, variable speed control on the side with a knob, been a wonderful lathe. Two things stand out they need to do different, one a knob to turn the spindle easily at the back of the motor outside of the motor cover. Second thing, a quick attach or non tool design to open the cover. Otherwise, has an indexing situation, very user friendly and a lot of accessories to purchase to make any thing your heart desires. With shipping, ended up around five hundred with mine, my store clerk ran it under a special that was going to happen or was happening, under her club card for another discount and am quite happy with it.