PDA

View Full Version : Shop air cleaner

Troy White
12-29-2006, 6:58 PM
Has anyone built a shop air filtration unit? I have a furnace blower and would like to make one. Hints and sugestions would be great.

Jerry Bittner
12-29-2006, 8:12 PM
Funny you asked 'cause I just finished one. Simply built a box frame and clad it with 1/2 plywood -- nothing really fancy. Configured it to hold two filters -- intake 1" x 16" x 20" and the outlet is also equipped with a filter with the same dimensions except the height is 14". Pretty much standard stock filters which is good because I can utilize the higher grade filters as I please. For the present, I use the 3M intermediate grade filter for the input and then a higher grade filter for the output.

The reason for the difference in the filter size is simjply a function of the size of the squirrel cage blower I used which incidentally runs off 220.

One thing about the squirrel cage blowers is just about any HVAC contractor has used ones laying around still installed in the duct work. Usually they sell them for a couple of bucks $5 or so but in my case he said go ahead and grab what you need before we ship all that stuff to the scrap dealer. So I got what I have plus a spare.

I'll be glad to send you a picture but like I said, it's nothing fancy and I don't have any plans, I just built the frame around the diminsions of the blower.

I'm pleased with it. And when I compare the output of it to the Jet air filtration unit I purchased a few years ago, it literally blows the Jet away.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-29-2006, 8:18 PM
I am getting ready to install one in my mobile workbench...I'll be watching this thread for tips and tricks!

glenn bradley
12-29-2006, 8:23 PM
You can see mine (1150 CFM, $35 gable fan, scrap plywood) and others here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=310052&page=3

Eldon Berg
12-29-2006, 8:30 PM
I built one from an old furnace blower and some scrap plywood, on the input end I mounted 2 furnace filters, works quite well. Made the box big enough for the blower and 20" square, the same size as the furnace filters I use in the house (always have a backup supply). The outboard filter seems to get all the dust, can't see any dust but maybe there is some dust on the inside one. I bought the pleated filtrete sp? 3m brand filters.

Eldon

Roger Eihausen
12-31-2006, 12:49 PM
Troy I don't know if this will help for ideas, I built mine as a sanding downdraft table, but it doubles as a air cleaner and a fan for the summer.
I used 20x25 filters and built the box around the size of the filters.,Rog53889

Troy White
12-31-2006, 11:50 PM
Thanks for all the input. I have started on mine and will put pictures here when its done.

Troy White
01-07-2007, 2:26 PM
I got the air cleaner done know Iam trying to decide where the best place to hang it is. Any suggestions. Thanks Troy