PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute X-Mas Project

Frank Snyder
12-29-2006, 5:01 PM
A friend of mine recruited my help last week to help him come up with and create a x-mas present for his sister in-law. Every year, his wife's side of the family has to make their gifts for each other. Since his sister in-law and her partner are golfers, my wife suggested a dual golf bag stand. We looked at a couple of designs on-line, most of which were very bland looking, so I came up with this design using Sketchup which I thought would be more appealing to the lady golfers out there.

Since we only had 2 days to complete this project, I suggested we use the IKEA method - plywood and edgebanding. We spent the first day laying out the ellipses and cutting out the different pieces using my Festool Trion jigsaw, which BTW works great in plywood (no tearout with the ZCI). We squared off the edges on the spindle sander and wasted a lot of time ironing on the edgebanding. I also made a bent lamination out of solid Maple for the lower front rail which has a curve to it. After all the parts were cut out and edgebanded, we used a combination of dadoes, rabbets, biscuits and pockets screw to bring the piece together. My friend finished the piece using a fast-drying wipe-on poly.

The idea and the gift were a hit. And my friend was happy that he dodged the bullet again this year. Hopefully next year he will give me more notice.

Adam Bauer
12-29-2006, 5:20 PM
Frank,

That came out fantastic!! Any chance you would share the plans for this as I know several golfing couples and that would make an excellent gift!

Frank Snyder
12-29-2006, 5:27 PM
Adam - Thanks for the compliment. You're welcome to use the design. PM me your e-mail address and I can send the Sketchup drawing. The joinery isn't clearly defined in the drawing, but I could indicate what was used where.

Travis Hirst
12-29-2006, 6:02 PM
I would really like to borrow your design. I too have looked at a bunch of on-line plans and found nothing that even looks good. Your plan with the elipses just gives it that little extra that makes it's nice. I will PM you my e-mail if you would be so kind as to let me borrow your design.

Thanks,
Travis

Jim Becker
12-29-2006, 6:13 PM
That's really nice, Frank! It looks like it does everything it needs to do.

Free avatar...

Frank Snyder
12-29-2006, 6:14 PM
Jim - Thanks for the compliment and the avatar...but that ain't me. That's my friend.

I'll update my avatar with a picture of me. Gotta find one first...

Corey Hallagan
12-29-2006, 7:07 PM
Very nice Frank. You guys did great!

Corey

Don Bullock
12-29-2006, 9:13 PM
That's an excellent present. It's very well designed and the work is super, especially considering the short time you had to make it. It would take me a lot longer just to come up with the idea.

A friend of mine recruited my help last week to help him come up with and create a x-mas present for his sister in-law. Every year, his wife's side of the family has to make their gifts for each other...

Just one question: If the family has a custom where the family members make presents for each other, why did he have you make it? ;) :rolleyes: :D

Frank Snyder
12-29-2006, 9:30 PM
Thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm not an IKEA guy myself, but I quickly became one given the time constraints.

Don - I didn't make it all by myself, I just helped. It was a real "team" effort. I showed my friend what to do and how to use each tool. The only thing he didn't work on was the bent lamination, which I did late at night after he had left on the first day. I wanted to make sure the glue had enough time to cure so it would be ready the following day. Other than that, we both shared the workload so it would get finished on time. I let him do the finishing all by himself. The design is really all I can take sole credit for, and I'm happy to share it with anyone who wants to make it.