PDA

View Full Version : Battery Freeze Test #2

Jack Dickey
12-29-2006, 3:10 PM
Ok I'm game .. Someone gave me a pair of 19.2 P-C batteries , charger and drill .. They were all VERY DEAD .. Will not run after charging .. So one went in the freezer this morning .. Will let you know tomorrow afternoon what happened ..

Jack Dickey
12-30-2006, 6:51 PM
Well I let it come up to room temp for about four hours , cleaned contacts on charger and battery .. Just went out to check after having been on charger all afternoon ..
Jus as ded as when I put it in the freezer ..

Ken Shoemaker
12-30-2006, 9:53 PM
I'm taking mine out of the freezer right now... I hope I'm not as disapointed as you were.

Dennis Peacock
12-30-2006, 9:57 PM
Hey Jack....try not to freeze your batteries to death, ok? :p :D

Steve Clardy
12-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Never tried it. Does it work?

Ernie Hobbs
12-31-2006, 11:07 AM
can you fill us in on the details? I have never heard of this and I have three old cordless drills that have dead batteries or won't hold a charge. What is the "freeze test" and how do you do it?

Jack Dickey
12-31-2006, 2:57 PM
This is the first time I have tried it .. There is another post here where someone else is/was trying it ..
I do know it werks ( sometimes ) ..

Take your battery and put in a freezer bag or plastic bag , whichever ..
Put in the deep freeze for at least 24 hours .. Take it out , let it come up to room temp ( waited about 4-5 hours with mine ) , it'll have a lot of sweat on it , wipe all that off , put on charger .. Sometimes they come back from the dead , sometimes not ..

Gary Keedwell
12-31-2006, 3:11 PM
I tried it , too. Still dead. I finally threw them away yesterday.
Gary K.

Jason Abel
01-01-2007, 9:14 PM
From what I'm told this only works in rare instances and apparently is still only a short term fix. Many times by sticking a power tool battery in the freezer you will ruin the thermistor/thermostat and make it so it won't charge anyway...

I'll take any dead batteries anyone may have unless they want them rebuilt. I'll pay S&H to get them.

Jason

Martin Shupe
01-01-2007, 9:22 PM
From what I'm told this only works in rare instances and apparently is still only a short term fix. Many times by sticking a power tool battery in the freezer you will ruin the thermistor/thermostat and make it so it won't charge anyway...

I'll take any dead batteries anyone may have unless they want them rebuilt. I'll pay S&H to get them.

Jason

What do you do with them, Jason? Just wondering, mine are not quite dead yet.

Jason Abel
01-01-2007, 9:26 PM
I rebuild them. I'll PM you more info so I don't break the TOS here.

Jim Becker
01-01-2007, 9:37 PM
Interesting about the freezer theory...but I placed an order to "some outfit" :) in Wrightsville PA earlier this evening for new cores for my Dewalt 14.4v drill/driver. It's time.