PDA

View Full Version : Super Rollers for ULS Machines

Neal Schlee
12-29-2006, 1:56 PM
Anyone else running the Red Super Rollers for sale on Ebay (3 for $50 less bearings)?

I've been running a set for 2 weeks, so far so good.

Neal Schlee

Tim Goldstein
12-29-2006, 2:32 PM
I bought a set because they seemed like a good idea so they are sitting in a drawer waiting for the need. My laser just arrived Wednesday so I am guessing it will be a while before I wear the originals and need to put the upgrade ones in.

I think it was Mike M. that mentioned something about Universal having a new "flat bearing" wheel system. Would love to know more about it and if it is something that is in the new machines or an upgrade?

Tim Goldstein
12-29-2006, 2:33 PM
I bought a set because they seemed like a good idea so they are sitting in a drawer waiting for the need. My laser just arrived Wednesday so I am guessing it will be a while before I wear the originals and need to put the upgrade ones in.

I think it was Mike M. that mentioned something about Universal having a new "flat bearing" wheel system. Would love to know more about it and if it is something that is in the new machines or an upgrade?

Mike Mackenzie
12-29-2006, 5:28 PM
I have been testing a set of these red rollers for about 2 months now. I have noticed ware on the edges of the rollers more than even our stock bearings. I believe that this company was doing a lot of vector work not raster engraving. The new design of the flat bearings that ULS has designed is for heavy use and very abrasive materials (corian, anodized alum,glass etc.) although these materials are easy to engrave the particulates that are produced when lasering them are very abrasive. Uls is slowly building these bearings into all of there new systems. As of right now they are a replacement only bearing. I am not sure of the time frame that they will be built into all new systems.

If you need to replace your bearings ask for the heavy use flat bearings. We have some of our customers that have had a set on there system for over a 8 months with no noticeable wear and they run the systems 24/7.

Neal Schlee
12-30-2006, 1:56 PM
What do the new flat bearings look like? Anyone got a pic?

Neal

Mike Mackenzie
12-30-2006, 2:29 PM
Here are what they look like

Rob Bosworth
01-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Something else to keep in mind when looking at replacement bearings for your machines: many times you are running these bearings on hardcoated aluminum rails. You might get extended life from these aftermarket bearings, but what is it doing to the rail system in your machine? Replacing an X axis rail will far out spend any cost savings you might have thought you realized.

Neal Schlee
01-02-2007, 1:13 PM
Hi Rob,

From what I can tell the Super roller material seems somewhat softer than the stock black plastic rollers. There are many variables involved in bearing and rail wear, we'll see how they last, I'm watching them and the rails closely.

Neal