PDA

View Full Version : The Workbench is Finished

John Davidson
11-14-2003, 7:55 PM
This project started with a few posts here at the creek back at the end of July. I finished it this last weekend.

I started by reading Scott Landis' "The Workbench Book". It then moved on to wood selection. I had already decided that I wanted to build my bench out of hard maple. However, hard maple in my area is VERY expensive. So, I searched for an alternative wood. I found a cheap source of ash but it was #1 common. Someone responded to one of my posts that ash would work fine but I might want to look at european beech. That it was the wood of choice on the other side of the pond for workbenches. So the search for beech was on.

I could not find any local supplier of beech but after surfing the web I found a source on E-Bay. A bid was placed, the bill was paid and a week later a pallet, 464 bft of 8/4 european steamed beech, arrived at the local Overnight terminal for me to pick up. The total cost after shipping was $1.55/bft. It was obviously more wood than I needed for the project but the wood was all select or better. I figured at that price I could find some other uses for the 300 bft or more that would be left over.

Three months later, it is finished. The bench is a combination of several different plans and designs. I used a plan in Woodsmith as a starting point and went from there. The bottom cabinet is straight from the Woodsmith plan. The cabinet is built out of 1- 3/4" sheet of birch ply and the beech, I tried but I couldn't find any beech topped plywood. All of the vise hardware came from Highland Hardware. The handles were turned on the lathe out of beech and padauk. The last of three coats of Watco natural oil finish was the last step, this last weekend. All in all, I an very happy with the result. It has been one of my most satisfying projects

Thanks
John

Jim Guy
11-14-2003, 8:04 PM
I'm curious how long you have been a woodworker. I just started about 6 months ago and one of the first things I built was a work bench. At least I called it a work bench until I saw this post. What a great piece of work you've produced. I know it takes time but I'm not certain I will ever be able to create that quality of work. Great - Great Job.
Jim Guy

John Davidson
11-14-2003, 8:39 PM
I'm curious how long you have been a woodworker. I just started about 6 months ago and one of the first things I built was a work bench. At least I called it a work bench until I saw this post. What a great piece of work you've produced. I know it takes time but I'm not certain I will ever be able to create that quality of work. Great - Great Job.
Jim Guy

Jim, I started about 6 years ago building speaker cabinets after I found out how cheaply high end speakers systems could be built DIY. I stayed just with the speaker stuff until about 4 years ago when I bought my first real piece of equipment, a Jet 6" jointer. A year later LOL added a Jet drill press and a mini lathe. A year after that the old Craftsman TS, that I had bought to build speaker cabinets, was replaced with a Jet cabinet saw and so on, and so on, and so on, ETC... I would say that I really got going with the purchase of the jointer about 4 years ago.

John

Dick Parr
11-14-2003, 8:48 PM
John,

Very nice! That is something you will be able to pass down for generations.

Again, very nice work.

Tom Sweeney
11-14-2003, 8:52 PM
You did one fine job on that workbench - & the speaker's pretty cool too! You'll get years of enjoyment out of workin on that bench - & if I did my math right it doesn't sound like it cost you an arm & a leg either -nice Bonus! :cool:

keep up the great work!

Jim Becker
11-14-2003, 9:00 PM
Once again, my mouth is agape with awe! That's a wonderful bench, John. You did a great job on this and it will certainly be an asset to your work on future projects. Congratulations on its completion.

Steve Clardy
11-14-2003, 9:33 PM
I really like the exposed joinery on the drawers, etc. Be proud, looks fantastic.

Tyler Howell
11-14-2003, 10:27 PM
A fine job John. A true inspiration.

Tyler

Wes Bischel
11-14-2003, 10:50 PM
Wow

It's too nice to use as a work bench! I can only imagine what pieces will come from this bench!

Wes

chris toomey
11-14-2003, 11:21 PM
ok, now i'm depressed. that is truly humbling

Bruce Page
11-14-2003, 11:32 PM
Beautiful job John! Like Steve, I love the exposed joinery. Well done!!

Chris Oakley
11-14-2003, 11:32 PM
Wow, that is a great looking bench. I also like the speaker. Where do you get the parts for the speaker, such as the tweeters, etc?

John Scarpa
11-14-2003, 11:39 PM
WOW! Great job. I'm just getting started again after a long dry spell. My first bench is going to be made out a piece of old bolling alley lane. Lots of cut nails and a metal rod thru it. someday I hope to build something like yours. You got it done quick and still kept a very high degree of quality in it. Very impressive.

Lloyd Robins
11-15-2003, 1:48 AM
That bench is too nice to do work on. I think that I would be tempted to cry if I scuffed it. Would SWMBO let you keep it in the living room? Seriously - Great work! Thanks for sharing.

John Davidson
11-15-2003, 2:10 AM
Wow, that is a great looking bench. I also like the speaker. Where do you get the parts for the speaker, such as the tweeters, etc?
Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. You can bet there are mistakes and I know were every single one is.

As for the picture of the speakers Chris. The Design is called the Odin. The drivers are made by Seas. Seas commissioned the design to help support the DIY audio community. Several driver manufacturers do this. Many, but not all, high end speaker companies do not manufacture thier own drivers. They just don't have the sales volume to justify it. Also not only does it take great drivers to make a great speaker but you must have a great crossover design to integrate the drivers together and box design to get the most out of the bass drivers, this is the part that many companies play. You can find designs by amateurs and professionals all over the internet to fit any budget. I buy most of my stuff from Madisound and Zalytron but there are many others. Both can be found very easy with a web search.

Richard McComas
11-15-2003, 2:20 AM
This project started with a few posts here at the creek back at the end of July. I finished it this last weekend.

I started by reading Scott Landis' "The Workbench Book". It then moved on to wood selection. I had already decided that I wanted to build my bench out of hard maple. However, hard maple in my area is VERY expensive. So, I searched for an alternative wood. I found a cheap source of ash but it was #1 common. Someone responded to one of my posts that ash would work fine but I might want to look at european beech. That it was the wood of choice on the other side of the pond for workbenches. So the search for beech was on.

I could not find any local supplier of beech but after surfing the web I found a source on E-Bay. A bid was placed, the bill was paid and a week later a pallet, 464 bft of 8/4 european steamed beech, arrived at the local Overnight terminal for me to pick up. The total cost after shipping was $1.55/bft. It was obviously more wood than I needed for the project but the wood was all select or better. I figured at that price I could find some other uses for the 300 bft or more that would be left over.

Three months later, it is finished. The bench is a combination of several different plans and designs. I used a plan in Woodsmith as a starting point and went from there. The bottom cabinet is straight from the Woodsmith plan. The cabinet is built out of 1- 3/4" sheet of birch ply and the beech, I tried but I couldn't find any beech topped plywood. All of the vise hardware came from Highland Hardware. The handles were turned on the lathe out of beech and padauk. The last of three coats of Watco natural oil finish was the last step, this last weekend. All in all, I an very happy with the result. It has been one of my most satisfying projects

Thanks
John

Excellent work! Nicely done. I'm a bit envious, someday I'm going to try that.

Rich

Phil Phelps
11-15-2003, 6:27 AM
....you make me sick :p It needs three coats of bright red latex gloss so's you won't trip over it
:D :D

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
11-15-2003, 7:17 AM
Great looking Bench,

Take care,
Jim

Dave Anderson NH
11-15-2003, 7:27 AM
I'm sure you will enjoy that bench more than you can appreciate at the moment. The bench is the foundation of a workshop and is one of the most important tools a woodworker can own. You did a great job and I'm sure it brings you a lot of satisfaction.

Bill Esposito
11-15-2003, 8:25 AM
Great looking bench. I doubt it will move at all while you're using it :)

Oh yea, great score on the wood as well.

aurelio alarcon
11-15-2003, 10:12 AM
That is beautiful! What a great piece!

Terry Hatfield
11-15-2003, 10:24 AM
John,

WOW!!!! Fantstic job on the bench!!!! You should be very proud.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Terry

Kent Cori
11-15-2003, 2:40 PM
John,

I can only echo everyone else's kudos. Wow, what a great project and beatiful bench!

What size is the top?

aurelio alarcon
11-15-2003, 3:50 PM
One fine bench! I would be scared to mar it! I must agree with everyone else, that is very...very nice work!

John Davidson
11-15-2003, 4:54 PM
John,

I can only echo everyone else's kudos. Wow, what a great project and beatiful bench!

What size is the top?

Kent, The top is 72" long, not including the extra 4" of the tail vise. The working are is 22" wide. The tool tray is 8" wide and 3" deep. Over all the top is 32" wide.

David Blangger
11-16-2003, 11:57 AM
I said it before and I will say it again.....a beautiful bench will demand beautiful projects.....your bench definitely fits this category...also congratulations in making your own version.

Byron Trantham
11-16-2003, 12:49 PM
Shop? You say shop? That sucker belongs in your dining room! As has already been said, I'd be afraid I'd drop something on it. Man what a bench!