PDA

View Full Version : Here are my first bowls ever

Bill Wyko
12-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Hello everyone, I started turning about 3 weeks ago and I can't seem to stop. The possibilities are endless. I'm looking forward to learning from all fo you. Here are some of my peices.

Kurt Rosenzweig
12-29-2006, 12:30 PM
OHHH you big fibber!!!!!:D LOL!! Only kidding even though I find it hard to beleive. If it's true I'm looking forward to seeing your pieces three weeks from now! Good job!

John Hart
12-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Ahh...these are the ones you were talking about in your introduction thread! Very nice. Amazing that you did segmenting on your 2nd time on the lathe.

I like your choice of woods too....looks like walnut and maple. What's the finish? What's the sizes? So many questions.... ain't I a pain?:D

Bill Wyko
12-29-2006, 12:51 PM
I swear these are my first bowls ever. I do have an extensive woodworking background though. I've built a few boxes on the incrajig as well. These boxes are about my 10th and 12th boxes on the incra. The purple heart one is not finshed yet. Unfortunatly I cut my ring finger pretty bad on the router table x-mas and spent the day in the emergency room. I was'nt following proper precautions like I should have been. Also there's a pic of my business card holder. You can check out my website at www.audio2000az.com (http://www.audio2000az.com)

Bill Wyko
12-29-2006, 12:57 PM
The curly Maple one is about 8"x3" and the segmented one is about 5X5 and the walnut one is about 6" wide and about 4.5 to 5" tall. I'm glad you all like them. Trust me there will be many more.:D Oh yea, the finsh was 220 grit down to 1000 grit then deft gloss then steel wool 0000 then minwax paste wax that my father had for about 35 years in the back of his garage.

Mark Pruitt
12-29-2006, 1:06 PM
Bill, those are some great looking bowls. Maybe you're about to realize that boxes are supoosed to be round too!:p :p :p

Bill Wyko
12-29-2006, 1:17 PM
Actually I was going to try something ubsurd. I'm eventually going to make a bunch of wooden hinges the graft other peices of wood to the tails of them and connect them until I get a circle of hinges. Brace everything up internally then I'll try to turn the whole thing. Sounds a little crazy I guess.:eek: :D

Bill Wyko
12-29-2006, 1:30 PM
Is there anyone else on here using an incrajig? Which one do you all think I should submit for the contest?

Kurt Rosenzweig
12-29-2006, 2:05 PM
All of them!!!!! Where's your holiday spirit! Once again only kidding. They are some really great boxes! You do nice work.:D

John Hart
12-29-2006, 2:22 PM
Is there anyone else on here using an incrajig?

I used one once to scrape some of the built-up finishes and stuff that was on my lathe!:D

Bill..............I don't know if anyone told you....but profanity is not allowed on Sawmill Creek.....and "Flatwork" is....well.....just like profanity. And those pictures.....They are....well um....quite revealing, don't cha think? This is just between you and me. I'll keep it quiet.;)

Dennis Peacock
12-29-2006, 2:22 PM
Well Bill. Welcome to SMC and I can't seem to grasp that you've only been turning for 3 weeks!!! :rolleyes:

Beautiful work and the segemented piece is just beautiful. Nice tight joints. Excellent work and your boxes are beautiful!!! :D

Mike Ramsey
12-29-2006, 2:31 PM
That is amazing! I have a hard time just spelling segmented much
less turning it.....Good looking bowls.

Bill Wyko
12-29-2006, 3:07 PM
|I do have an extensive woodworking background. I was a custom home builder for 8 years or so and I own Audio 2000 in Tucson AZ. We have been named one of the top 100 installation shops in the U.S. 7 times and top 12 once. My website is posted above. Even though I build soundsystems I probably own about a dozen cds. I really love woodworking. Building the boxes is alot of fun but turning has something magical about it. I acctually turned those bowls for x-mas gifts but my wife kept them and bought other stuff for gifts.:D

Steve Schlumpf
12-29-2006, 3:10 PM
Bill, amazing work - hard to believe you've only been turning 3 weeks! Makes me have to re-eval what skills (or lack of) I have struggled to develope in 26 months of turning! Nice work!

Darren Landis
12-29-2006, 3:19 PM
i really like the one on the lower left,great job

Bill Wyko
12-29-2006, 3:29 PM
Well i've only been turning for 3 weeks but I'm 42 and my dad put a circular saw in my hands when I was 7 and told me "have fun, don't cut yourself.":eek: I've been working with wood ever since.

Bill Wyko
12-29-2006, 6:24 PM
By the way, I don't know if you have a Harbor Freight in your areas but they have 1" wide rolls 50yards long of the aluminum oxide emory cloth for 5 bucks:D 80,150 and 220 grit.

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2006, 7:01 PM
Bill those bowls are beautiful. I wish mine looked that good after just turning 3 weeks. Nice job.

Ron Journeau
12-29-2006, 8:20 PM
After seeing the results of your efforts after 3 weeks on a lathe, I wonder if anyone knows what I can get at the scrapyard for a Delta -type 12 inch swing lathe with cast iron legs??

Bill Wyko
12-29-2006, 8:59 PM
Thanks everyone. The only proof I have would be to call WoodWorkers source in tucson and ask for Dick. He's the store manager and is the one responsible for selling me the lathe.I swear it's only been 3 weeks give or take a day or 2. I'll take pics of the tiny work area I have in my garage. You'll wonder how I could tie my shoos let alone turn a bowl. Actually I turned a candle holder first then a burl wood cup, then the maple one peice bowl, then the segmented bowl then the walnut bowl. Like I said before, I read a book about Ray allen and it goes into great detail on how to do a segmented bowl. I give credit to him ,R.I.P., for divuldging his secrets.:D

Corey Hallagan
12-29-2006, 9:20 PM
Bill, beautiful work! All of it. I am a turning fan and a big box making fan as well. I love your box work. Some fine hinge work, I take it you got the Incra Hinge jig. Very cool. I have the Gifkin jig coming for my box work... but nothing like the Incra, yet it is fairly simple jig to use. thanks for posting your work!

Corey

Gary Herrmann
12-29-2006, 9:32 PM
Nice bowls, Bill. I've been turning a little longer than you, but don't have anywhere near your talent. I'm also supposed to be making a box for my wife soon. I may have to look at the Incra.

Jim Dunn
12-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Hey Bill, as pretty a looking bowls as I've seen from a professed newbie. Now if you'd just quit showing all that profane stuff John H. would be happy as a pig in soup. (or a horsey in John's stall/shop)

Liem Tran
12-30-2006, 2:25 AM
Are you sure you didn't buy those? :D
Great job!

Liem

Mark Pruitt
12-30-2006, 9:45 AM
Like I said before, I read a book about Ray allen and it goes into great detail on how to do a segmented bowl. I give credit to him ,R.I.P., for divuldging his secrets.:D
You might also enjoy "The Art of Segmented Woodturning" if you don't already have it.

Once you get some more practice under your belt and spend some more time experimenting with forms you're gonna rock the house! You've made a beginning that has some folks, myself included, green with envy! I look forward to seeing what you do in the months ahead.

Tom Sherman
12-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Top shelf stuff Bill, looks like we may all have something to learn from you as well.

Bill Wyko
12-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks again everyone, This seems like a wonderful site. Seems like alot of good people. This is just the beginning of my turning but i can assure you I'll be challenging myself with every bowl. I tried turning a palm nut last night and it was going pretty good until I blew it to peices:( Oh well, it's a learning curve.:D Any advice anyone has I would love to hear from you. I've found tooling the inside of the bowl is the hardest part for me.

Ernie Nyvall
12-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Those look great Bill... and especially for your first.

Bill Wyko
12-30-2006, 12:19 PM
I was looking at a book and saw someone using a 3" sanding disc with little tabs on it and it was on about a 1/2 inch velcro pad with a rod about 1ft long that was on a screw gun. Does anyone know where I can get one of those? Sanding inside a bowl with my fingers is a little unnerving.:confused:

Keith Burns
12-30-2006, 4:12 PM
Welcome to the dark side Bill. You sure are starting off with a bang. Great work and I look forward to seeing more:) :)

Bill Wyko
01-02-2007, 4:02 PM
Hey everyone. I noticed on my segmented bowl in the beginning it was perfectly smooth but now that it's about 2 weeks old i'm able to feel the seams in it. Any Idea why and what I can do about this?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-02-2007, 6:14 PM
Bill......Your first bowls look better than a lot of turner's 100ths........Very well done Sir! I'm sure we'll be taking lessons from you soon!

Bill Wyko
01-02-2007, 8:08 PM
Thanks, I really appreciate everyone's compliments. Next time I make one I'll take pictures of it as I go. I'm using a JET Mini lathe and it works well, I just wish it would allow larger diameter material. I did recently pick up a shopsmith as a gift from a customer and one of its features is a lathe. It seems like a tool that is pretty good for alot of things but not great at any one thing. Anyone have any experience with one?

Bill Wyko
01-03-2007, 8:08 PM
You might also enjoy "The Art of Segmented Woodturning" if you don't already have it.

Once you get some more practice under your belt and spend some more time experimenting with forms you're gonna rock the house! You've made a beginning that has some folks, myself included, green with envy! I look forward to seeing what you do in the months ahead.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the book, I should get it next week.:D

Bill Wyko
01-05-2007, 5:36 PM
| know there were some doubts as to whether or not I made the segmented work so I thought I'd put up a pic of some of the rings for my next project.:DThis vessel will be less than 6" tall and will have an estimated 200 plus peices.

John Hart
01-05-2007, 6:27 PM
| know there were some doubts as to whether or not I made the segmented work .....

I didn't have any doubts at all Bill. I think you did a nice job. Who made those rings?:D

Bill Wyko
01-05-2007, 6:50 PM
Me:D I'll have to show you my little jig that I set up on my belt sander to duplicate peices. It allows me to make peices the exact length and depth every time.:p After drawing a profile of the bowl I use a degree wheel to measure the length and depth of each ring. I Cut the individual pie peices close then I take them to my little jig on the belt sander and that makes them almost perfect. Then I glue up 2 half rings. When they have had time to dry I parallel the flat sides on the disc of the belt sander and glue together the 1/2 rings. Once thats done I take the rings to my jet drum sander and flaten them out and take them down to the correct thickness. Then I start gluing the base and rings one at a time and press them together. I also do a rough turn as I start going taller with the rings. There's a few other little trick I do as well but nothing that changes the method too much. I'll take progressive pictures as I build this one:D

entrekin farms
01-05-2007, 7:21 PM
great job!!!
i have been turning for 2 yrs and i nont think i could do that good