PDA

View Full Version : Redwood strip canoe picture

Marcus Carr
12-29-2006, 10:15 AM
This is a Redwood strip canoe that I started on about a year ago. The strips are bead and cove routed then glued to eachother over a framework. This photo was taken after the sanding, fiberglass cloth and 4 coats of epoxy resin were added to the exterior of the boat.

Marcus

Jim Becker
12-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Wow...another beautiful project, Marcus!

Mike Seals
12-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Stunning, I'm not sure I could put that in the water. I would hang it in the living room. Beautiful.

Brian Tuftee
12-29-2006, 11:06 AM
Wow, that looks like glass... amazing finish.

David Wilson
12-29-2006, 11:12 AM
Looks great Marcus. What epoxy did you use?

Steve Beadle
12-29-2006, 11:12 AM
That's a project I have had in mind for years, but have never gotten started--unless you can call buying two or three books on strip canoe construction a start! Congratulations on producing a truly functional piece of art! Time's a-wasting, I guess, so I'd better build my own soon.

Paul Douglass
12-29-2006, 11:17 AM
That's a project I have had in mind for years, but have never gotten started--unless you can call buying two or three books on strip canoe construction a start! Congratulations on producing a truly functional piece of art! Time's a-wasting, I guess, so I'd better build my own soon.

Ha, I'm further along than you, I've got books and a couple sets of plans, and cove and grove router bits! Had them for years!:( Some day!:rolleyes:

Beautiful canoe, Marcus. I love that strip built stuff!

Marcus Carr
12-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Thank you all =]

The Epoxy came from West Systems.

Marcus

Steve Beadle
12-29-2006, 1:58 PM
[QUOTE=Paul Douglass]Ha, I'm further along than you, I've got books and a couple sets of plans, and cove and grove router bits! Had them for years!:( Some day!:rolleyes: QUOTE]

Hey, Paul, you live (I think) in the same part of WA state where Susan Van Leuven, the author of an excellent book on canoe-building, lives. Have you ever met her, or seen her work? I saw her once down at Woodcrafters in Portland.

Steve

Paul Douglass
12-29-2006, 2:31 PM
[quote=Steve BeadleHey, Paul, you live (I think) in the same part of WA state where Susan Van Leuven, the author of an excellent book on canoe-building, lives. Have you ever met her, or seen her work? I saw her once down at Woodcrafters in Portland.

Steve[/quote]

I don't think so, I live in the desert part of the state. All the real boat builders live over on the west side, in the Pudget Sound area. I think I have one of her books though.

glenn bradley
12-29-2006, 2:31 PM
I agree, I don't think I could put that in the water. Too beautiful!

Karin Voorhis
12-29-2006, 2:50 PM
This is not a boat this is a total work of art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

WOW nice very nice work there!!!!!!

Hank Knight
12-29-2006, 4:28 PM
Marcus, that's a beauty! I've been wanting to build a strip canoe. Maybe next year. Very nice!
Hank