PDA

View Full Version : Just finished a carved Bubinga mirror...pics

Marcus Carr
12-29-2006, 9:52 AM
This is a mirror I just finished for my Irish father. It was carved from a single piece of 16"x16"x2" Bibinga with a Dremel, router and hand tools. It was finished with a few coats of Danish Oil.

Marcus

Jim Becker
12-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Marcus, that's really very nicely executed! Welcome to the 'Creek, too...keep the pictures of your work coming!

Marcus Carr
12-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Thank you for your kind comments Jim. I will be sure to post a few more projects.

Marcus

Dan Oliphant
12-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Welcome to the creek Marcus, looks like a real fun project and well executed.

Roy Wall
12-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Marcus -

Beautifully done....you have great skill ...welcome to SMC!

Todd Solomon
12-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Very nice, Marcus! Does the heart with the crown have a meaning? Inquiring minds want to know.

Todd

glenn bradley
12-29-2006, 1:01 PM
Oh you guys with talent :rolleyes: . That is a very nice piece. It's sure to please.

Mike Williams
12-29-2006, 1:02 PM
Marcus - that's a very nice Claddagh ring that will be cherished by your father.

For those of you who don't recognise it, here is the story behind this style of ring:

The Legend of the Claddagh Ring is the story of the mystical and beautiful Claddagh Ring. First told over 300 years ago in the ancient fishing village of the Claddagh, outside the walls of the City of Galway on the west coast of Ireland.

Passed down through the generations, this romantic story centres on a man named Richard Joyce and the ring he created.

Legend has it that shortly before he was due to be married, a fisherman Richard Joyce was captured at sea by pirates and sold into slavery in Algeria.

He became the property of a rich Moorish goldsmith, who sensing his potential began to train him in his craft. In time Richard Joyce became a fully proficient master craftsman and with thoughts of the girl he had left behind close to his heart, he fashioned the first Claddagh Ring. The heart symbolising love, the pair of hands representing friendship and the crown for loyalty and fidelity.

In 1698 after an agreement with King George III to release all his subjects held in slavery, Richard Joyce found himself once more a free man.

His master, who had by now grown very fond of him offered his only daughter in marriage and half his wealth, if he would remain in Algiers, but Joyce declined and returned home to Galway.

There he found that his sweetheart had waited for his return, and presenting her with the Claddagh Ring they were married.

Neville Stewart
12-29-2006, 4:36 PM
Great job on the Claddagh Marcus, and I would know ;-)

Marcus Carr
12-29-2006, 8:59 PM
Mike, thank you for posting the legend of the claddagh ring. Another interesting fact is that many Irish people used their wedding rings (claddagh rings) to borrow money which was used to escape the famine in Ireland and come to the united states. Sadly, many of them never returned to claim their rings.

My parents wear claddagh rings today as their wedding bands, so this gift was ideal for them.

Marcus

John Schreiber
12-29-2006, 9:54 PM
Marcus, that's a beautiful and significant carving. Thank you for showing us. Thanks to Mike for the story and to Marcus for further illuminating it.

Mark Stutz
12-29-2006, 10:01 PM
Marcus,
Outstanding work on the Claddagh ring. I'm no carver, but from the looks of the grain in that Bubinga, carving that chunk of wood was no mean feat! Well done.

Mark

Jack Ferrell
12-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Being of Irish decent, this project seems special to me. Even better now that I know the story behind it and the special meaning for your parents.
I wish that I could carve something besides a gash in my left hand. Oh well, one day.
You did excellent on this one Marcus. You should be proud. I would be.

Eric Sabo
12-29-2006, 11:47 PM
My very Irish Wife (who also spent 4 months there going to school) absolutely loved it. She wants me to learn how to carve now... but like the above poster, I've only carved holes in my hands.

Very very very nicely done.

Marcus Carr
12-30-2006, 1:33 PM
If anyone is interesting in creating this mirror, you can find the pattern and detailed instructions in the book Celtic Woodcraft by Glenda Bennett. The book is a joy to read and contains a little history for each of the projects. The Claddagh Mirror is on page 71.

Marcus