PDA

View Full Version : Gallery quality??

Jonathon Spafford
12-29-2006, 12:11 AM
I have got a question for all who have sold stuff in a gallery.... when did you start considering your stuff gallery quality? What are some guidelines for gallery quality? Also, how much can you get away with? Sometimes I like something that I have turned, but I notice a small flaw that another woodturner might notice, but that someone else probably would not notice. Any answers are appreciated!

Raymond Overman
12-29-2006, 8:34 AM
I would say that it's gallery quality when you don't question any flaws in the work that would prevent it from being purchased, when a gallery is interested in your work, and when you don't mind giving 40-50% of the proceeds to someone else for marketing.

It also depends on the gallery. Is it a local craft gallery that carries 500+ pieces at a time or an art gallery that is looking at you for a solo show or possibly pairing you with a 2D artist?

Curt Fuller
12-29-2006, 7:52 PM
I'd say that gallery quality happens when you've turned enough neat stuff that you can start parting with it. But honestly, gallery quality is in the eyes of the gallery owner, if they think they can sell it and get their commission.