PDA

View Full Version : Moisture meter - pin vs. pinless

Rob Will
12-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Some have suggested pin type moisture meters while others have suggested pinless.

I would like to have a digital readout that can be programed for various woods. The ability to check drywall, concrete etc. is of little interest but that's ok if it comes with the meter.

So for under $400, what meter would you buy?

TIA,
Rob

Mark Singer
12-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Moisture meters actually measure the resistance...very much like an ohm meter. I would get one with pins. The delmhorst are very good and the digital are the best of their group..

Doug Mason
12-29-2006, 12:31 AM
I have a pinless delmhorst and am very happy with it. If I were buying one today, I'd get the pin delmhorst over the pinless.

Joe Jensen
12-29-2006, 1:05 AM
I have a pinless delmhorst and am very happy with it. If I were buying one today, I'd get the pin delmhorst over the pinless.

Doug, I've been wanting to get a meter as well, and I've struggled over what to get. Why do you want to switch from pinless to pin type?...joe

Per Swenson
12-29-2006, 1:47 AM
Pin.

Beter yet, delhmorst with hammer probe.

Check the auction site. delhmorst sells directly there.

they are located in lincoln park NJ.

Per

Doug Mason
12-29-2006, 6:59 AM
Given a choice, for me, I would take the pin meter because 1) the holes made by the pins would rarely be an issue cause I find that I'm always cutting stock down; and 2) the pins are supposed to be more accurate. So basically, putting a couple holes in rough stock, prior to my origonal thinking, has been a non-issue.

Steve Schoene
12-29-2006, 7:59 AM
I'm a strong advocate of pinless--I have a ElectroPhysics that I like a lot. My reasoning is that for furniture making, as opposed to pattern making, accuracy beyond a percentage point or two isn't of much consequence, but the ability to use the meter before buying wood is of much greater importance. I would not be comfortable with driving in pins when I don't yet own the wood, and might not want to buy it at all if the moisture content were such that I would have to let it acclimate for months instead of few weeks.

Rick Lizek
12-29-2006, 8:04 AM
http://lignomat.com/handheld/versus.htm
Read the differences between pinless and pin types to see what your needs are best met with.
I've used Delmhorst and Lignomat. I'd recommend the Lignomat Duo-tec which is pinless and pin and priced within range. I've had better luck with Lignomat as they will test various species we deal with that aren't on the charts. Delmhorst wouldn't do that for us.

Rob Will
12-29-2006, 9:26 AM
I have not used a moisture meter before.
As someone who has an interest in wide / thick Nakashima style slab surfaces, I'm having a hard time getting used to the idea of driving pins deep into the wood.:eek:

Will pinless meters work on rough lumber ? (including some 2 1/2" thick slabs)

How do you guys avoid damaging the wood with pins?
Is this something I should worry about?

Rob

Rick Lizek
12-29-2006, 9:36 AM
http://lignomat.com/handheld/versus.htm
You need to read this info. to make your decision. Pinless has certain limitations...one being a smooth surface...

Rob Will
12-29-2006, 8:30 PM
I don't think I can bear to drive pins over 1" deep into some of my thick cherry and maple slabs.

If I am willing to run the slabs through the planer one time to create a smooth surface and then check the moisture, why won't a pinless meter work?

My neighbor is a floor covering installer and owns a pin-type meter. Tonight we tested a 4" thick chunk of rough sawn wood that had been laying around his shop. The surface tested 8%. I took an ax and split the chunk down the middle. The center of the chunk measured 14%. So, without LONG pins and the willingness to drive them deep into the wood, how do you accurately check the center of thick slabs?

Thanks for your suggestions,

Rob

Rob Will
12-30-2006, 1:32 AM
I can't speak for how good these are.
Perhaps in a couple of weeks I can give a report since I just ordered one.

http://www.baileys-online.com/video/Merlin_Moisture_Meter.wmv

(4 MB download .wmv)

Dave Fifield
12-30-2006, 5:36 AM
I'm sure my local hardwood supplier would NOT like me hammering pins an inch or more into his expensive figured woods, so since the main use for me having a meter was to check the dryness of his wood prior to buying it, I decided the accuracy obtained using a higher-end pinless meter (a Wagner MMC-220) was perfectly adequate.

Keith Weber
12-30-2006, 9:14 AM
Dave,

How do you like that Wagner model? I can't find a lot of info on them. Most people seem to buy different brands, so I was wondering if they know something that I don't. I was just waiting for another Amazon sale to buy one.

Keith

Steve Schoene
12-30-2006, 10:23 AM
While ideally pinless meters should be used on surfaced lumber, using it on rough lumber, within reason, still gives a decently accurate reading.

Jim Becker
12-30-2006, 10:32 AM
While ideally pinless meters should be used on surfaced lumber, using it on rough lumber, within reason, still gives a decently accurate reading.

True, and carrying a small block plane when "shopping" isn't unusual, either, when rough-rough lumber is involved. (Many suppliers skip-plane material these days and you have a relatively smooth surface to work with/look at when you're in the candy-store)

But the small block plane trick works fine on lumber you're drying yourself as I believe you intend to do, Rob. I did that with my piles since my meter is pinless.

Rob Will
12-30-2006, 12:30 PM
True, and carrying a small block plane when "shopping" isn't unusual, either, when rough-rough lumber is involved. (Many suppliers skip-plane material these days and you have a relatively smooth surface to work with/look at when you're in the candy-store)

But the small block plane trick works fine on lumber you're drying yourself as I believe you intend to do, Rob. I did that with my piles since my meter is pinless.

That's a very good idea.

Thanks,
Rob