PDA

View Full Version : Inset Bathroom Cabinet Finally Finished

Bob Opsitos
12-28-2006, 11:11 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/Dec2006024.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/Dec2006026.jpg

The cabinet's actually been finished and installed for a while, I just finally got around to mounting the knob and the glass while I was on vacation. It's now picture worthy. However, the pictures are not the best as the digicam is on the fritz.

The design came out of an issue of Workbench magazine, which I modified for the size I had (magazine was floor to celing and I was putting mine over the toliet). The cabinet is recessed into the wall so you end up with a fairly deep cabinet (~4") with minimal protrusion from the wall (~1-1/2").

Solid maple base and face frame with plywood back; base peices and face frame joined with pocket hole screws since any joinery is completly hidden.

Doors are curly maple with rail & stile construction in Shaker style (meaning inner profile of the doors are slightly beveled) which match the existing cabinets. Upper doors are glued up with the standard stub tenons that the bit set produces and rabbeted out on the inside for 1/8" glass. Glass held in with some bronze screw down hardware from woodcraft.

Lower doors are in the same style, but with a solid wood panel bookmatched from some Tulipwood that the wife was enamored with. Since it was a solid wood panel, everything I read said the standard stub tenon that the bits would make wouldn't make it over the long haul. So I cut mortises in both the rail & stiles for floating tenons.

The maple was finised with BLO/shellac/wipe-on poly. BLO for some color, the shellac for it's moisture resistence and poly for durability. Another reason for the shellac was my slowness in assembling the parts. Being able to get some finish on the parts quickly while I work on other parts made me feel better about staving off any warpage. Not sure how valid it really is though. The panels were shellac and poly.

This was first time making doors on the router table and my first time resawing and bookmatching panels. I think it turned out well, though I know where to look to see mistakes. I consider them learnings and know to look out for them next time.

Honestly it's a pretty easy project, including the install (cutting an big hole in the drywall and framing in some new studs) and it gave us some needed space.

Thanks for looking
Bob

Jim Dunn
12-28-2006, 11:20 PM
I take it you don't want the toothpaste to see you in your birthday suit?:) Real nice looking cabinet.

John Michaels
12-28-2006, 11:33 PM
Beautiful Job!! That tulipwood is stunning.

Hans Braul
12-29-2006, 7:42 AM
Bob, beautiful work. The bookmatched tulipwood is beautiful and, depending on how you interpret ink blotches, somewhat sexually suggestive. I know, I know, I need a cold shower.

Great work - thanks for showing!

Hans

Michael Adelong
12-29-2006, 8:38 AM
Beautiful work, Bob.

Did you have to remove any studs to get it in the wall?

I don't recall ever seeing Tulipwood in a finished project in person. If it looks half as good in real life as it does in this picture, I'm going to have to try some soon.

As Hans said. It does seem to have a "his" and a "her" side to it though.

Mike

glenn bradley
12-29-2006, 9:32 AM
Very nicely done. I'll hide this post so my LOML's to do list doesn't grow out into 2009. Great job.

Jim Becker
12-29-2006, 10:12 AM
Beautiful, Bob!

Bob Opsitos
12-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks for all the compliments.

The wife had pointed out the female side, but we never noticed the male side. I guess I need to be more careful in the grain selection next time. ;)

Did you have to remove any studs to get it in the wall?

I had to cut out a section of a single stud, nail in a top header and bottom header, and add a length on the left side. I got lucky and the existing stud on the right was in exactly the right place. Other wise I would have had to add two vertical sections.

Thanks
bob

Jim Becker
12-29-2006, 10:47 AM
The wife had pointed out the female side, but we never noticed the male side. I guess I need to be more careful in the grain selection next time.

I guess that sealed who's stuff went where in the cabinet!! LOL!