PDA

View Full Version : I think I found a great skills exercise!

Joe Unni
12-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Well first...

"Hello, my name is Joe and I use power tools!"
:(
:o
:D

Hey all,

Though I do use power, my hand tools are finding their way into my work more and more.

The other night while doing a search on FWW for some direction on creating dentil molding - which I'd hoped to be using on my current project - I ran across Charles Shackleton's video "Easy to Carve Diamond Beading". So I took a look.

Oh my gosh - I couldn't wait to get back in the shop to create this trim instead of the dentil. I almost couldn't sleep - really! (I know I need a life!)

After skipping my morning shop routing (too excited), I made a 2' length in some scrap walnut. Sweet!!!! I then laid out about 6 feet or so in some Sapele and began. While doing all this, I thought to myself - what cool way to practice hand work without having to fit any critical joints.

You get to practice with your block plane - lot's of layout (albeit quite repetative) - sawing on a line - and lot's and lot's of paring. You even get to practice sharpening because your chisel will definately get dull pretty quickly.

I actually cleaned up and burnished the molding today and started glueing it up with the rest of the trim (crown, cornice, cap - I'm not sure what to call it). I'll take some photos once it's all installed.

Well, I just figured someone may benefit from this exercise as much I did.

Enjoy!

-joe

Charles McKinley
12-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Hi Joe,

Free or pay side of their website?

looking forward to the pics

Joe Unni
12-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Hi Joe,

Free or pay side of their website?

looking forward to the pics

Charles,

I happen to be a paid subscriber. Not sure if you need to be or not for the video.

-joe

Wendell Wilkerson
12-29-2006, 10:22 AM
The video is on the paid side of the website.

Wendell

Jim Becker
12-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Um...Joe. Pictures? ;)

John Schreiber
12-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Pictures. I want pictures.

Joe Unni
12-30-2006, 9:13 AM
OK guys!

I've packed the camera for work today. I'll try to have something posted tonight.

-joe

Terek Johnson
12-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Hey Joe,
I'm actually more interested in your opening "confession" regarding using power tools.
It seems to me that we (woodworker both professional and hobbyist) have reached a golden age of tools. There's an amazing array of power tools that previous woodworking generations never had working side-by-side with equally amazing hand tools. As such, given the ever-pragmatic nature of woodworkers as a breed, it's only logical that even the most die-hard hand tool Luddite will occasionally utilize a power tool here or there (after ripping approximately thirty six feet of oak with a hand saw last month, I say "who needs a gym membership, just hand me the Advil":) ).
In my own experience, I started out fully immersed in the Uncle Norm power-tool-for-every-occassion world. Over the years I've "discovered" the joys and simplicity of hand tool use, and at this point have found that most of my woodworking uses a happy mixture of both.
Hopefully we've reached a point in time where both Roy Underhill-ists and Norm Abrahm-ists can co-exist peacefully:D
By the way: let's see the pictures.
Cheers.

Joe Unni
12-30-2006, 3:59 PM
Well here they are!

They are of an off cut of a built up molding.

1 - just the off cut itself
2 - a close up
3 - the off cut wiped with mineral spirits

You might notice the the diamond beading is NOT Sapele as is the rest of the piece. I actually decided to contrast with yellow birch and really love the result.

Terek - my confession was more of a goof as I don't typically post here. However your point was well put. Thanks.

Hopefully within a week or two I'll have photos of the entire piece.

Any and all comments are welcome.

-joe

John Schreiber
01-01-2007, 1:26 AM
Very nice. Looks like a satisfying and challenging project.

Joe Unni
01-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Very nice. Looks like a satisfying and challenging project.

Thanks John. I can't wait for the project to be completed. I'll post photos when I can.

Happy New Year!

-joe

Roy Wall
01-02-2007, 9:57 AM
Joe -

Nice work......that does look like fun!

My wife has been to the Shackleton furniture studio and likes the carving details of their furniture.

Thanks for the reminder....got the PDF downloaded now!

Joe Unni
01-21-2007, 4:36 PM
See here http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=50216

Thanks,
-joe