PDA

View Full Version : Great Granddad's Handplanes

Phillip Thorne
12-28-2006, 10:23 PM
So...lets see where to begin...

Two weeks ago we found out we are pregnant! This got me started on building a crib! I am currently equipping my shop and remembered my dad had an old wooden chest in his shop with some of my great granddads tools. I found three hand plans...
Can someone help me identify these? I know that two of them are stanely but I am not sure of who made the largest...any and all information on these plans and how to get them back in prime shape would be great! i've pulled the blade out of the small one and started sharpening it, looks like I have a lot of work to do on that blade...
the pics are here (http://picasaweb.google.com/ptthorne/WoodPlans02)

MANY THANKS!!

~Phillip

Clint Jones
12-28-2006, 10:41 PM
The planes you have are a newer stanley 102 block plane, a stanley handyman no.4 sized plane, and a Stanley No.6 WWII model fore plane. The newer stanley and the handyman arent very good planes but the No.6 looks like it should clean up nice and work well if you get the blade sharp and sole flat. The other two should work but I wouldnt reccomend either one of them. Hope this helps.

Jim DeLaney
12-28-2006, 10:47 PM
1. A Stanley #102 block plane. Very useful. Clean it up and have fun! BTW, the blade gets installed with the bevel facing up.

2. A Stanley Bailey #6. Not the most popular of the fore planes, but is actually one of my personal preferences. It can be used as a 'large jack plane' or a 'short jointer.' I use it for both. FYI, typically, the #5 (about 14" long, and half an inch narrower) is considered a "Jack," and the #7 (22" long) is considered a jointer. Since the 6 fall right between them, many folks consider it unnecessary. This blade gets installed 'bevel down.'

3. A Stanley Handyman, in the #4 size. A 'smoother' plane, to be used after the jack and/or jointer. Many folks only have one plane - in this size - and pretty much use it for everything. It's probably the most commonly found (and used) size. HOWEVER: the Stanley Handyman version is of lesser quality than the 'regular' Stanley planes. It's much the same as its better brethren, just not so carefully made. It was originally marketed as a 'homeowner' version, rather than a craftsman's. Even so, cleaned up and 'tweaked' a bit, it makes a fine user. This blade also gets installed 'bevel down.'

Search the archives here. There are many threads about cleaning up and restoring old planes. Many of us collect (and use) them. It can be almost addictive - I have about eighty of them now... It's what we cal 'sliding down the slippery slope.' Careful, you may be about to join us!

Phillip Thorne
12-28-2006, 10:52 PM
I've already started slippin' i think...my Dad wants the things back...they've been in his shop for as long as I can remember and they haven't MOVED..but he's decided he might use them as retirement age approaches...lol of course he'll use them after I get'em cleaned up! Do these have much value? My dad was wondering...

Clint Jones
12-28-2006, 10:58 PM
The Handyman and No.102 really arent worth much of anything. The No.6 if cleaned up properly and tuned is worth around $30 to $60. But they may be more be worth more to you as they were your Grandfathers and you really cant put a price on that.

Phillip Thorne
12-28-2006, 11:01 PM
I definantly can't see getting rid of them, just wondering what to expect price range wise if i stumble across some "rust" somewheres...

Thanks again!

Jim DeLaney
12-29-2006, 11:04 AM
...Do these have much value? My dad was wondering...

The 102 is worth maybe $10, cleaned up.

I paid $3.00 for a #4 handyman, in about the condition yours is in. Not worth cleaning up to sell, but certainly worth it to keep as a user and a 'family heirloom.'

Cleaned up, tweaked and sharpened, the #6 will go for somewhere around $50.00. In its current condition, maybe $20.00.

Jerry Olexa
12-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Phillip: Go for it..I trhink its v rewarding to clean up, restore old planes and then sharpen them. Its amazing what old rusty planes can produce once restored to former glory.

Harry Goodwin
12-30-2006, 11:14 AM
I have one of the so called handyman that may be my defiance made by Stanley long ago and presented to me as a gift from my carpenter father when I was about 8 64 years ago. If properly adjusted and sharpened it's a good plane. It may not be a coveted plane. Harry

Phillip Thorne
12-30-2006, 5:13 PM
So considering I've never used a hand plane for anything other than destroying the edge on some of my dads 2x4s when I was little, I think I've got this 102 cutting a little better...So far I've lapped the bottom, more to do there, and ,using the scary sharp method, started sharping the iron. I've run it through the cycle of papers three times, I'm still trying to get the hang of sharpening AND get all the divets outta the blade edge! Thanks for all the replys!! Is there one good link on planes, their usage, care and tuning? I've looked through and found a bit in a lot but not a lot in a bit...Thanks again!!!

~Phillip

Clint Jones
12-30-2006, 6:06 PM
Phillip,

Try this link http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDocs/Wood_How_To/INDEX_How_To.htm
You should be able to jump to anything you need to know from sharpening and honing, restoring, and basically anything you would like to know about planes and hand tools. If your interested in planes I would go to http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html There you will find everything about stanley planes. If you want to see the restoration process go to https://home.comcast.net/%7Erexmill/planes101/planes101.htm.

Hope you enjoy your trip down the slope!