PDA

View Full Version : Custom Cut Brass ID Type Tags

Tracey Bakewell
12-28-2006, 6:12 PM
Ok, so on to my next project! I am big into the horse community and will be getting a lot of requests for the standard stall plates, halter plates, bridle plates, etc. I've already had my first custom request, but unfortunately (what I didn't realize until after I bought my laser :( ) you can't cut brass -- but you guys all knew that!

Anyway, the custom request is for the bridle id tag, it's typically a small about 3/4" circle with initials or something very small engraved on them that hangs from the bridle of the horse. They're tired of the 3/4" standard circle, they want something fun. So, I've come up with several designs but can do nothing with them since I can't cut them out of a sheet of brass. I'd need to mass produce these things. I got a quote for new die-casts from one of the vendors in Texas, about $1500-$1800 a pop! Nothing fancy, just an outline of a horse head or an outline of a horse shoe.

Any creative minds out there know where I can come up or how I can come up with my own stamping mechanism (by stamping I mean similar to a die-cut, the ability to stamp out of a brass sheet my outline to engrave on)? One idea has been to cut a template out of plastic and router it out of a sheet of brass, can you imagne, still looking to cut down on the labor here!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Tracey

Guy Hilliard
12-28-2006, 8:04 PM
Tracey;

How thick are the brass tags?

If they are fairly thin you can (after a fashion) cut them with your laser.

First paint the sheet of brass on both sides with a cheap paint bomb (rattle can), make sure the brass is CLEAN before painting.

Use the laser to engrave through the paint on one side to define the shape of the tags. Multiple tags can be engraved on one sheet.

Using Ferric Chloride (or similar copper etchant - do a Google search for options) etch through the sheet to create individual tags.

By mounting the tags in a jig and re-lasering / etching, a name, design or other detail can be etched into the tags, with control of the time of etching and multiple laser / etch cycles it is also possable to create multiple layer etching.

Additional details / ideas can be had by searching for "copper etching" in Google (or other search engine of your choice).

The paint can be removed later with a suitable solvent.

Guy

Dave Jones
12-28-2006, 8:33 PM
I have two suggestions, both involve the same person. Frank Ricci aka "Chewbarka" sells die cut aluminum tags of various kinds Mostly dog tags and misc ornaments). He also will custom make them if you place a decent sized order. They are anodized aluminum and engrave very easily.

Plan #2 is that the same person can make a die for you to stamp your own tags out of whatever material you want.

Personally I would talk to him about him stamping custom tags for you. It's a pain to do your own stamping, and would require a decent sized arbor press or hydrolic press. He can pop them out in whatever quantity you need, and anodize them in whatever colors you need (even an assortment of colors). Anodized aluminum is easy to laser engrave and does not require special chemicals like brass.

Chewbarka's website is: http://www.chewbarka.com/

To talk to Frank about either posibility, call him at 401-464-9911

Tracey Bakewell
12-29-2006, 12:28 AM
Those all sound like good options. The only thing here that is not an option to change is it must be brass or brass like... so still not knowing much about all these terms yet and the different metals, is there a brass coating for these anodized aluminum tags? The tags are fairly thin, I'm not sure of the actual thickness just yet. Haven't purchased anything after being told I can't cut brass, just pretty much put on the brakes at that point.

Mike Null
12-29-2006, 8:23 AM
Tracey:

I would give these folks a call. They're an excellent supplier. http://www.faro-usa.com/Home.htm

Mike Null
12-29-2006, 9:42 AM
Tracey:

You might want to make up a few samples of wood signs. The one shown here is cedar with a varnish finish. Used in horse barn.

The beauty of these signs is that I salvage most from my scrap wood pile.

Keith Outten
12-31-2006, 9:03 PM
I just received a catalog from Identification Plates Inc.

They seem to have a very good selection and a new material called Laser Frost that looks very promising.

www.idplates.com

Tracey you might consider making tags from Dupont Corian. You can resaw Corian to get thin pieces then engrave them and paint fill or use Rub N Buff. Corian is available in lots of colors that would be something different from the usual tags. I have a boat load of small pieces in a rainbow of colors if you need Corian.

Martin Reynolds
12-31-2006, 10:31 PM
You could have shapes laser cut in stainless steel, (1.5kW laser) then mark them. Figure $2 each and a $200 minimum. You could have pretty much any mix of shapes.

Kenneth Hertzog
01-01-2007, 8:16 PM
Tracey
I've cut shapes and engraved with my CNC machine Just takes a few minutes and you get the shape you want. This may be an alternative to a mass quanity if you only need a few of one design.
ken
slippery rock, pa

Tracey Bakewell
01-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Hey Keith, yeah, ID Plates is who I contacted first, they're going to charge me anywhere from $1500 to $1800 to give me a die-cast of what I need. They have all kinds of cute already cut out shapes of brass tags, but can you believe it! NO horse head!

Tracey Bakewell
01-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Hey Dave, ok, I just emailed chewbarka! Keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks!

Tracey Bakewell
01-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Kenneth, you've cut shapes out of stock stock brass sheets? I'm not anticipating any mass quantity orders right up front, just a few at a time. Still not sure how thick these sheets are yet, they're about as thick as a standard dog tag.

Tracey Bakewell
01-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Guy, sorry so late on my reply to your post! These tags definitely need to be brass, I'm still not sure of the thickness, for sure, they're only about as thick as your standard brass dog id tag (for dogs, not the ones for the army guys :) -- anyway, what you're describing above, is me actually using my laser to cut the stock brass sheets?

Kenneth Hertzog
01-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Tracey
Yes I have engraved BRASS tags that were put on a dog. I preferr not to use aluminium because they do not last. the item can be cut from a sheet. if you have a dxf file of the shape you want email it to me and I will try it.
ken

Tracey Bakewell
01-02-2007, 7:26 PM
Ok, so I don't know what a .dxf file is :(

I can certain whip up what I'm looking for in Corel draw!

Kenneth Hertzog
01-02-2007, 7:45 PM
Tracey
any old thing will do. Just need a picture ( outline ) and size you are looking for so we can come close to what you want
ken

Dave Jones
01-02-2007, 10:27 PM
DXF is a file format that AutoDesk (makers of AutoCAD) developed for sharing drawings (DXF = Drawing eXchange Format)

Steven Marston
01-05-2007, 8:05 AM
Ok, so I don't know what a .dxf file is :(

I can certain whip up what I'm looking for in Corel draw!

Corel Draw has an "Export" function under the File dropdown menu. Select "DXF" and you're good to go.

Note: Once you select "Export", a file browser will open. Look at the file type selection and slider the slider around until you find DXF.