PDA

View Full Version : Help a neander w/ electricity

Tom Scott
11-14-2003, 2:12 PM
I am finally going to get me a "neander buddy" (bandsaw), and am seriously considering the MM16. Looking at the power requirements, it has a 1 PH / 230 V motor. All I have in my shop / garage are 110 V outlets. What will I need for to run this monster? What is involved in doing this? And, is it something I can do myself or wil I need to get an electrician in to do it?

Thanks,
Tom

Bob Lasley
11-14-2003, 2:27 PM
Tom,

You will need to install a 230 volt circuit for the bandsaw which will involve running wire from your breaker panel to a box with a receptacle in it. You will then need to install a double pole breaker in your breaker panel to connect it to. Wire and breaker size will be determined by the size of the motor on the saw. Look at the specs for the saw or on the motor nameplate for FLA (full load amps). If it is 16 amps or less, #12 wire will be sufficient, providing it is not a long distance, ie. more than 50 feet, from the breaker panel to the saw. If the FLA is between 16 and 24 amps, you will need to run #10 wire. #12 wire will require a 20 amp breaker and #10 will require a 30 amp breaker.

As to whether or not you can do this yourself depends on your abilities. If you have never done any electrical work, I would suggest hiring an electrician. If you happen to know an electrician, maybe he/she would consult with you and walk you through the process and then make the final connections for you. Even though I have been involved in electrical work for thirty years, I don't feel comfortable giving step by step instructions unless I am familiar with the building and the locale. There are so many variables that can crop up and electrical codes vary from state to state and city to city.

Good luck,
Bob

Rob Sukach
11-14-2003, 3:00 PM
this site has a lot of useful information about home wiring - and an active forum with lots of helpful folks.

http://www.homewiringandmore.com/

Rob Sukach
Dallas, TX

I am finally going to get me a "neander buddy" (bandsaw), and am seriously considering the MM16. Looking at the power requirements, it has a 1 PH / 230 V motor. All I have in my shop / garage are 110 V outlets. What will I need for to run this monster? What is involved in doing this? And, is it something I can do myself or wil I need to get an electrician in to do it?

Thanks,
Tom

Steven Wilson
11-14-2003, 3:11 PM
The MM16 will need a 20A 220V circuit. You could run a separate circuit from your main panel, or better yet, run a subpanel (say 50A, 60A, or 100A) into your shop. That way you'll have some room for further 220V equipment purchases. This maybe a DIY project depending on; your comfort level with electricity, your familiarity with local electrical codes and the NEC, local rules (your locality may require a licensed electrician), and what else may need to be upgraded (main panel, electric supply from the street, etc).

Phil Phelps
11-15-2003, 7:00 AM
... familiarize yourself with the project and buy the necessary materials for the job. Do all the grunt work yourself. To insure peace of mind, have an electrician do the final hook up. It will cost you a service call and he'll check your work for ya'. It's worked well for me.