PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to Cabinet Saw - Bies or keep Incra?

John Hulett
12-28-2006, 2:16 PM
I've considered upgrading from my C-Man Contractor style TS to something like a Unisaw. My current saw was retrofitted with the Incra LSTS (TSLS?) fence system at a significant investment. I really like the Incra, so I find myself pondering... if I upgrade to a Unisaw, would I use the Bies, or would I just transfer the Incra to the Unisaw? I think I'm pretty unlikely to get the money back out of the Incra if I chose to just use the Bies and sell the Incra.

Anybody have the same situation? Thoughts?

- John

Bruce Page
12-28-2006, 5:52 PM
I upgraded from a Craftsman to Unisaw. I've never used the Incra but I love the Biesemeyer.

Mike Heidrick
12-28-2006, 5:55 PM
I think you could find a used unisaw on craigslist with no fence for cheaper than with a Bies if you are patient. I would keep the Incra.

Travis Hirst
12-28-2006, 6:26 PM
I would keep the in Incra and if you would like to get rid of the Bies I would be happy to give you my address!!!

Travis

Charles Green
12-28-2006, 7:06 PM
I just got the incra to replace the biesemeyer.

I will never go back to the biesemeyer. I know others feel differently but I would move the fence and try and find a no fence option on the saw you buy.

Joe Spear
12-28-2006, 8:10 PM
Keep the Incra. The repeatability and ability to move the fence in exact increments if you are sawing strips or doing another task that requires that kind of precision--that's why I got my Incra in the first place. It also stays square to the blade and miter slot once you set it up properly.

glenn bradley
12-28-2006, 8:56 PM
I like my Beis but, if you are already happy with your fence then I second others here; keep it. Maybe find a Uni with a bad or missing fence.

Jim Becker
12-28-2006, 9:21 PM
If you really like the Incra system, by all means consider using it if it will fit your new saw. If you are indifferent, than a Biesemeyer is a very nice fence system that is accurate and easy to "jig" up.

Chris Rosenberger
12-28-2006, 9:31 PM
Keep the Incra system.

Dave Hale
12-28-2006, 10:58 PM
I agree with the 'keep the Incra' crowd. When I upgrade to a cabinet, from my current Craftsman Contractor saw, I plan on calling Incra (Taylor Tool) and getting a new rail to replace the one I had to split (hacksaw) to mount it on the current saw.
Considering the benefits I encountered by upgrading to the Incra, ease of use, repeatability, etc, on my poor li'l Cman saw, I'm really looking forward to the new benefits on a real (read Cabinet) saw! :)

John Hulett
12-30-2006, 12:29 PM
If you really like the Incra system, by all means consider using it if it will fit your new saw. If you are indifferent, than a Biesemeyer is a very nice fence system that is accurate and easy to "jig" up.

Jim, I think you hit on one of the things I would consider most in favor of the Bies; I see on NYW and Woodworks, all the jigs they end up attaching or using in conjunction with the Bies (if not, Bies style) fence that would otherwise be impossible on the Incra.

That being said, I like the fact that others here are like-minded in keeping the Incra - which is probably what I'd do. I didn't even consider the possibility of being able to get a saw sans a fence... Great suggestion!

- John

Joe Spear
12-30-2006, 4:45 PM
I can't think of any jig I've seen on the Bies that couldn't be rigged somehow on an Incra. And the Incra has t-tracks built into it that actually make using some things easier (like Board Buddies and vertical featherboards).

Ken Pywell
12-30-2006, 7:16 PM
I sold my contractor saw earlier this year and bought a cabinet saw without the fence. Bought the Incra at the local woodworking show. I really like the smoothness of operation and having it stay square to the blade.
Ken

John Piwaron
12-30-2006, 9:53 PM
First, if you can put the original fence back onto the contractor's saw, do so, then transfer that Incra fence to a new cabinet saw. Just buy your next saw without a fence. Or don't use the one they give you.

If, OTOH, you don't have the original fence for your contractors saw, you might have to sell it with the saw. A saw has to have a fence.

I don't think you'll have much trouble selling the old saw. I had lots of interest in my saw when I sold it a couple of months go.

FWIW, I use a Biesemeyer fence and truly wouldn't have it any other way.